Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:52 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Good, perhaps you won't stir the pot with this type of sensationalist nonsense in the future. There are already enough deranged people like O'Reilly whipping the public up into a frenzy about molesters behind every tree, and so-called liberal judges; we don't need any more silliness.

child abuse is not sensationalism...it's real, it's ugly and inhuman to touch a child..I don't listen to O'reilly and I'm not deranged...but I was sexually abused, and as I stated before, there are way more child molesters then you realize...

my son is a police officer, so, I can tell you just how many sex offenders are arrested and rearrested for the same crime. They don't stop at one, and some of them have abused as many as 50 kids...yet our laws do nothing to put them away for good.

So you can call it sensationalism, I call it animalistic behavior that corrodes the heart of society....these animals are a threat to society and should be put away for life...they do nothing but harm, and one child harmed is one child to many. Let it be your child, and you'd sing a whole different tune, I suspect.

Creme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 07:49 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

what the heck is wrong with the people in our country....????????
Is Sarah Palin screaming about this....a REAL child molester ??????A REAL danger????

Old 06-17-2009, 09:35 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:

...these animals are a threat to society and should be put away for life...they do nothing but harm, and one child harmed is one child to many.
Join an advocacy group and start lobbying your legislators to get the laws changed. And if they won't get tough on this issue, find a candidate who takes you seriously and campaign to vote the incumbent out of office. I think sometimes people forget how a democracy actually works.
Quote:
Let it be your child, and you'd sing a whole different tune, I suspect.
It's really obnoxious to keep projecting this fate on others. You don't know any of us or our circumstances, let alone how we'd react if it was us or our child. Clearly not every parent responds the same, as is evidenced by the parents of the little girl in this situation, who, along with her child advocate, determined the best thing to do for her well-being was to avoid a trial where she'd have to testify, and at least get this creep labeled a sex offender and monitored for life.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

Is Sarah Palin screaming about this....a REAL child molester ??????A REAL danger????
You mean the same Sarah Palin who made women pay for their own rape kits? That Sarah Palin?

Old 06-17-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Join an advocacy group and start lobbying your legislators to get the laws changed. And if they won't get tough on this issue, find a candidate who takes you seriously and campaign to vote the incumbent out of office. I think sometimes people forget how a democracy actually works. It's really obnoxious to keep projecting this fate on others. You don't know any of us or our circumstances, let alone how we'd react if it was us or our child. Clearly not every parent responds the same, as is evidenced by the parents of the little girl in this situation, who, along with her child advocate, determined the best thing to do for her well-being was to avoid a trial where she'd have to testify, and at least get this creep labeled a sex offender and monitored for life.
Jill, I appreciate your passion in this, especially in trying to explain the logistics of it all...and I'm glad this creep is now labeled a sex offender...

and I do understand that every parent does not respond the same....

where I do disagree with you is that I don't believe it is obnoxious to point out.."walk a mile in my shoes" I'm not trying to project this on anyone, and I do hope to God, no one's child ever has to endure this....but in making that statement..."sometimes ya gotta hit people with a 2 x 4 to wake them up. We live in our protective plastic bubbles away from the rest of the world, and sometimes do not even realize reality or want to deal with crime.

As I explained I do appreciate all your feed back, and expertise on the political front....but I to am very passionate about the fact, that this guy still gets to walk...(and I do understand what your saying) but the chances of him hurting another child is large....and that is what upsets me.

While I may sound irrational...I just feel very close to this subject, and wish more people would do as you say and rally for tougher laws...

Hope you understand

thanks
Creme

Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:

As I explained I do appreciate all your feed back, and expertise on the political front....but I to am very passionate about the fact, that this guy still gets to walk...(and I do understand what your saying) but the chances of him hurting another child is large....and that is what upsets me.

While I may sound irrational...I just feel very close to this subject, and wish more people would do as you say and rally for tougher laws...

Hope you understand

thanks
Creme
Of course I understand. We don't disagree that a sex offender only being locked up for a year is upsetting. The recidivism rate for this type of crime approaches 100%. I'd like to see them all get the same sentence Michael Devlin got for kidnapping and raping Shawn Hornbeck and Ben Ownby, which was something like 72 life sentences, plus an additional 170 years. Hell, I wouldn't even object if their hands were cut off, too.

Where I take issue is in accusing the players in this plea bargain of incompetence and calling for their dismissal. They felt they did the best job they could with what they had. It's tragic. But you can only play the hand you're dealt.

Best,
Jill

Old 06-17-2009, 10:43 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
ok, I'm going to state, I don't want this to become a political fight here...right or left, can't we come together for once in our lives and do something about this...I mean, this poor kid, and the molester is soon to be left free, who will be his next victim....
I agree - I hate when I come into a thread and every other post is:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Liberals can hate O'Reilly all they want
Quote:
liberals that blatantly ignore the facts,
Quote:
It's clear that liberals only have one mission regarding O'Reilly
Quote:
Liberals can talk trash about O'Reilly as much as they want
Quote:
Liberals hate O'Reilly..
it makes you not even want to watch the video. it's so distracting you almost forget about the OP

Old 06-17-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I agree - I hate when I come into a thread and every other post is:

it makes you not even want to watch the video. it's so distracting you almost forget about the OP

What you forgot about me????? gasping....you'd actually forget about me? Oh, I'm crushed....

Old 06-17-2009, 10:53 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,369,438 times
Quote:
He was sentenced to 20 (TWENTY) years, not 1 (one)!
Yeah I noticed that. It said 19 years of his sentence were suspended and he'd already served 9 months. I'm not all that savvy when it comes to the law but what does "suspended" mean in this case?

Quote:
What you forgot about me????? gasping....you'd actually forget about me? Oh, I'm crushed....
I could never forget you...but by the time I'd read all the liberal bashing I'd forgotten what the topic of the thread was. Had to go back and start over.

Old 06-17-2009, 02:54 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Of course I understand. We don't disagree that a sex offender only being locked up for a year is upsetting. The recidivism rate for this type of crime approaches 100%.
Not even close. More in the range of 15-20%. Look up some actual reports from researchers, rather than repeating what you heard on Oprah. Here's a good article to start out with:

Politics and Irrelevance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies