Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:48 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Spanish in particular, no, language(s), yes. Every child in Germany learns at least two other languages, usually English and something else. Americans should provide the best eduaction possible and learning another language is part of a well rounded education. Of-course that is just one part, the education system in this country is in need of a Major overhaul. I am not talking about vouchers, even though to some degree I see them as helpful, but not the cure all answer since so many would be left behind. Provide better funding, hire many more teachers, ensure that all schools have all the tools needed to provide a very good education, get rid of the TASS and other such tests and go back to midterm and finals testing, a child fails a subject they go to summer school, fail several subjects and they repeat the grade, remove zero tolerance rules, and hold teachers, supervisors and students accountable, those are just for starters. It is a disgrace that a nation as wealthy as ours cannot provide a good education to our children, if we do not we will be left behind in the world. The children of this nation are OUR future and we are not only investing in them but in ourselves and the future of this nation, never forget that.
Casper
I agree, it's very strange that our country is considered number one yet our students consistently fall behind students of other countries. Not that those countries don't deserve good students, I'm not trying to say it's us against them, however I do think that for all of the hip hip hooraying about our country, the education level needs to be much higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 07:53 PM

646 posts, read 801,249 times
Learn arabic,then maybe you can get a job waterboarding

Old 06-17-2009, 07:57 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Why when bi-lingualism is discussed, the other language has to be SPANISH?! Learning a second language helps but i think it should be done totally by choice. I dont think i should be forced to learn spanish because some folks dont want to learn english. I dont see anyone wanting me to learn tagalong, german, swedish, or arabic.

I took two years of French in HS mainly to get into college. Now i'm attending a university that dosent require a foreign language to get a degree (and it is an regionally accredited not-for-profit university if you are wondering.) Personally, i dont think i could learn a second language if i wanted to.

Foreign Language required? No. A good idea? Yes. Does it have to be SPANISH? H$#@ no!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:59 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Why when bi-lingualism is discussed, the other language has to be SPANISH?! Learning a second language helps but i think it should be done totally by choice. I dont think i should be forced to learn spanish because some folks dont want to learn english. I dont see anyone wanting me to learn tagalong, german, swedish, or arabic.

I took two years of French in HS mainly to get into college. Now i'm attending a university that dosent require a foreign language to get a degree (and it is an regionally accredited not-for-profit university if you are wondering.) Personally, i dont think i could learn a second language if i wanted to.

Foreign Language required? No. A good idea? Yes. Does it have to be SPANISH? H$#@ no!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:01 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Why when bi-lingualism is discussed, the other language has to be SPANISH?!
Because Spanish was here first, and for far longer than English or French combined ..

Old 06-17-2009, 08:06 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
No. It is useful to take a foreign language in high school, I took Japanese all four years, but there is not reason that foreign language needs to be Spanish.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
No. It is useful to take a foreign language in high school, I took Japanese all four years, but there is not reason that foreign language needs to be Spanish.
I agree, it shouldn't be a requirement, yet it is a no-brainer. I mean, isn't english a requirement around the world? Yes yes yes, I know, english is the world's language apparently. However, considering our own country, it does make sense to learn spanish. And yes, they should learn english but to me, it just seems like what's the problem learning spanish? I don't know, I'm not sure why so many people are dead set against it.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:23 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
Not just no but HELL NO!! The only career disadvantage is if you're looking for jobs working the counter in the food service industry, part of the cleaning crew, or landscaping - none of which I'm raising my child to do! The only thing I need to know in Spanish is "Take out the trash!" and "Cut the grass *this* long!"

Dora the Illegal Explorer is not welcome in mi casa, and Dragon Tales have been similarly banned. My three year old can communicate equally well in English and Russian, and seems to have acquired her mothers' gift of languages. (She also reads in Cyrillic at about a first grade level.)

How about we leave the choice of a second language up to the students and parents, and double up the English classes on those who can't speak it at a functional level? And as further motivation, let's get rid of "Press 2 for Spanish" on all of the phone menu systems and at the ATMs. When I visit Russia, no one provides customs or other forms printed in English nor do they go out of their way to speak English to me. When in Rome...

Old 06-17-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Not just no but HELL NO!! The only career disadvantage is if you're looking for jobs working the counter in the food service industry, part of the cleaning crew, or landscaping - none of which I'm raising my child to do! The only thing I need to know in Spanish is "Take out the trash!" and "Cut the grass *this* long!"

Yeah, you obviously haven't worked w/spanish speaking people ever. Heads up: it ain't just about the grass & the trash sweetheart.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:29 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post

Dora the Illegal Explorer is not welcome in mi casa, and Dragon Tales have been similarly banned. My three year old can communicate equally well in English and Russian, and seems to have acquired her mothers' gift of languages. (She also reads in Cyrillic at about a first grade level.)

How about we leave the choice of a second language up to the students and parents, and double up the English classes on those who can't speak it at a functional level? And as further motivation, let's get rid of "Press 2 for Spanish" on all of the phone menu systems and at the ATMs. When I visit Russia, no one provides customs or other forms printed in English nor do they go out of their way to speak English to me. When in Rome...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies