Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:36 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,476,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
In the real world it is only going to help you and make you more marketable to speak Spanish fluently.
I'm really not understanding why that's so hard for people to understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 10:39 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,841,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
I'm really not understanding why that's so hard for people to understand.
I think the complaint is that the OP wants it forced on children. mandarin is the most popular language on the planet. why espanol?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:42 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,460,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
I think the complaint is that the OP wants it forced on children. mandarin is the most popular language on the planet. why espanol?
Probably because Mandarin isn't given as a choice all of America. Just a hunch.

And what's up with the victim role everybody wants to assume? "Forced". It's called an education!

Old 06-17-2009, 10:44 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,387,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Really,
how many languages do you speak?
I speak English, Spanish, Portuguese and I know some Chinese.

Spanish is one of the easiest languages in the World to learn
Chinese is one of the most difficult languages to learn in the World.
That too is irrelevant and not at all germane to what I said. It really wouldn't matter if you spoke 8 languages, that doesn't make you an expert on language education. Additionally what proof do you have of that or are you just using yourself as an allegory. Spanish may have been the easiest for you and Chinese the hardest for you, but people's minds do not work the same and people often do not have the same approach mentally to studying a language even if they are in the same classroom situation. In my case Japanese was much easier to learn then Spanish. So far you have only presented subjective claims based on personal experience as such your entire case is irrelevant until you can present hard facts.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:44 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
Quote:
Probably because Mandarin isn't given as a choice all of America. Just a hunch.

And what's up with the victim role everybody wants to assume? "Forced". It's called an education!
I took 3 years of spanish in HS and 1 year in college. however, both my brothers took french. it's all about choice. my father took russian. I don't like the government education dictating what language a kid can take. that's why it's called an elective. it's moot for me though as if I ever had kids, they sure as hell wouldn't go to public school.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:48 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,126 times
Speaking Spanish is a positive thing. There is no downside to being bilingual.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Speaking Spanish is a positive thing. There is no downside to being bilingual.
but why can't the students learn italian? speaking spanish is a positive thing. so is spending within our means, but we don't do that.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:50 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,460,506 times
If the reality of America is that the Spanish Language has become prevalent part of our society then it should be eliminated as an elective and turned into a requirement. What would be so horrible about that? Other languages can still be offered as an elective. The worse outcome? An educated child who speaks three languages by the time they finish school, oh the horror.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
If the reality of America is that the Spanish Language has become prevalent part of our society then it should be eliminated as an elective and turned into a requirement. What would be so horrible about that? Other languages can still be offered as an elective. The worse outcome? An educated child who speaks three languages by the time they finish school, oh the horror.
what if you live in maine, or west virginia or something. what's the point of learning spanish? just in case you ended up getting transferred to san antonio?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,387,780 times
Quote:
As I said the only problem with that is it would likely drive other languages out of schools. There is only so much class time in a day and if 3 languages are taught students and teachers would more then likely have to stay an hour longer to cover all the periods not to mention the extra homework burden on students. It is not like you could eliminate math, science, history, gen ed. classes etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies