Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 10:26 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,011 times

Advertisements

No, but it will be the focus of a bunch of money-grubbing lawyers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 10:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
At least there's some verbage in this bill regarding claims and settlements against the US.

US Senate votes formal apology for slavery « Reparations Weblog

snippet:
"
In a step that has angered some African-American lawmakers, the measure takes pains not to fuel the push for the US government to pay reparations to the descendants of African slaves.

“Nothing in this resolution (a) authorizes or supports any claim against the United States; or (b) serves as a settlement of any claim against the United States,” it says.

That has drawn “serious concerns” within the Congressional Black Caucus, though the group has yet to decide on a formal position towards the legislation, a source close to the group said Thursday.

It was unclear whether opposition from those lawmakers could force a change to the language or otherwise hinder the measure."

Old 06-19-2009, 10:33 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
At least there's some verbage in this bill regarding claims and settlements against the US.

US Senate votes formal apology for slavery « Reparations Weblog

snippet:
"
In a step that has angered some African-American lawmakers, the measure takes pains not to fuel the push for the US government to pay reparations to the descendants of African slaves.

“Nothing in this resolution (a) authorizes or supports any claim against the United States; or (b) serves as a settlement of any claim against the United States,” it says.

That has drawn “serious concerns” within the Congressional Black Caucus, though the group has yet to decide on a formal position towards the legislation, a source close to the group said Thursday.

It was unclear whether opposition from those lawmakers could force a change to the language or otherwise hinder the measure."

I will be looking out for opposition to the language from the black caucus...This matter should be considered resolved and closed.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:44 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I know someone will chime in and say africans were sold by their village kings...true, however America maintained the slavery for over 200 years not 88. How quick we chime in and co-sign what someone else says without researching first.
So where's the apology from the descendants of those village kings? What, no uproar demanding some contrite input from them? Where's the justice?

And America did not exist as a nation for over 200 years at the time slavery was abolished. We were a collection of European colonies for most of that period. Can we get an apology from the descendants of the leaders in charge at that time?

Research, indeed! And, again, what difference does any of this make? No one alive in the US today has ever owned a slave, nor has anyone alive today ever been held in slavery under government approval. What happened to my great-great-grandaddy doesn't affect my job or educational opportunities today. (For the record, my g-g-gd was probably as poor as anyone else struggling to survive at the time.)

Old 06-19-2009, 10:45 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Obviously its only symbolic. But symbolism can serve a purpose. While perhaps a bit redundant at this point in time, contrition is now on the books.

I don't see anything wrong it.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:51 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Obviously its only symbolic. But symbolism can serve a purpose. While perhaps a bit redundant at this point in time, contrition is now on the books.

I don't see anything wrong it.
Nor do I, but neither do I see anything particularly right about it. Certainly not worth the fuss being made over it. The ones most concerned/excited over this are those who will try to work for profit from it, which will undoubtedly come at taxpayer expense if allowed to go too far.

It's not even newsworthy.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:59 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
So where's the apology from the descendants of those village kings? What, no uproar demanding some contrite input from them? Where's the justice?

And America did not exist as a nation for over 200 years at the time slavery was abolished. We were a collection of European colonies for most of that period. Can we get an apology from the descendants of the leaders in charge at that time?

Research, indeed! And, again, what difference does any of this make? No one alive in the US today has ever owned a slave, nor has anyone alive today ever been held in slavery under government approval. What happened to my great-great-grandaddy doesn't affect my job or educational opportunities today. (For the record, my g-g-gd was probably as poor as anyone else struggling to survive at the time.)

I find it amazing you want to debate how long slavery lasted and under who's rule it lasted. This country as had 44 Presidents starting with Washington who is by the way recognized as the FIRST PRESIDENT of the UNITED STATES of AMERICA.

The legislation should have been written and passed when they ended slavery it wasn't now it is....Get over it and move on

Old 06-20-2009, 02:28 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn02674 View Post
Wow, only 88 years of slavery. What a great job we did

I do not understand this logic one bit.
Slavery existed when we became a country. We abolished it. We made it illegal to discriminate on the basis of race. We established programs and spend billions of dollars to make up for it. We did do a great job.

Clearly I think we all agree that slavery was a mistake. It was perhaps one of the biggest mistakes this country has ever made. Reparations have been paid and continue to be paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies