Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:07 PM

491 posts, read 925,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Yep, I went to college in SC. I love that state and they did have a sordid past when it came to slavery and the treatment of blacks. But that is not what they are these days, so get on with your life and stop living in the past. People who live in the past are what causes the problems in this country more than many other things.
OK, so if people who live in the past cause the most problems, then why do you support the Confederate flag? Isn't that symbolic for living in the past?

Old 06-23-2009, 08:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,627,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
OK, so if people who live in the past cause the most problems, then why do you support the Confederate flag? Isn't that symbolic for living in the past?
Absolutely. Remember what Trent Lott said (more than once):
"When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over the years, either."

Lott Remarks on Thurmond Echoed 1980 Words (washingtonpost.com) (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A37288-2002Dec10 - broken link)

Old 06-23-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Absolutely. Remember what Trent Lott said (more than once):
"When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We’re proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over the years, either."

Lott Remarks on Thurmond Echoed 1980 Words (washingtonpost.com) (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A37288-2002Dec10 - broken link)
Yes, I remember those remarks. Jesse Helms, Trent Lott, the whole lot of them...it's no wonder the South gets a bad rap.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:29 PM

646 posts, read 800,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
You ever see a klan rally with a cross burning and the stars and bars flapping away in the night?

My step-grandfather was a member. I know what he thought about the Confederate Flag, as did anyone who ever got within fifty yards of him.
Oh come on,one week your great grandfather rode with N.B. Forrest and the next week you say he rode with Wade Hampton.Let's see,tune in next week for Cuebalds great grandfather traps John Wilkes Booth in barn

Old 06-23-2009, 11:57 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,950,531 times
Quote:
You ever see a klan rally with a cross burning and the stars and bars flapping away in the night?

My step-grandfather was a member. I know what he thought about the Confederate Flag, as did anyone who ever got within fifty yards of him.
Stars and Bars?
http://www.crwflags.com/FOTW/images/u/us-csa.gif

Old 06-24-2009, 03:38 AM

37,068 posts, read 19,043,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary phagan View Post
Oh come on,one week your great grandfather rode with N.B. Forrest and the next week you say he rode with Wade Hampton.Let's see,tune in next week for Cuebalds great grandfather traps John Wilkes Booth in barn

My GG Grandfather was a Confederate captain who fought at the second Manassas. My step-grandfather was an unabashed racist and a member of the klan.

Try to either keep up with the conversation or go watch American Idol and let the adults talk, m'kay?

Old 06-24-2009, 05:10 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,919,303 times
Quote:
My GG Grandfather was a Confederate captain who fought at the second Manassas. My step-grandfather was an unabashed racist and a member of the klan.

Try to either keep up with the conversation or go watch American Idol and let the adults talk, m'kay?
Is that what is going on in here? Adults talking? Doesn't seem that way to me, with the hate that comes from you and so many others.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:18 AM

37,068 posts, read 19,043,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Is that what is going on in here? Adults talking? Doesn't seem that way to me, with the hate that comes from you and so many others.
Can you give me an example of what is is that I "hate", besides racism and its symbols?

Old 06-24-2009, 07:14 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post

Here is your previous claim: "It may not be classified as nostalgia, but Northern claims of moral superiority are mired in some sort of antebellum delusions."

Now, tell me what these delusions are. Give me some examples, or I'm not happy.

I told you what the delusion is. Northerners and others are not morally superior to Southerners.

Now go be happy.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I told you what the delusion is. Northerners and others are not morally superior to Southerners.

Now go be happy.
And that delusion is mired in antebellum conceptions? I don't understand, but I am not going to draw this out any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.