Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 02:56 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
I have no idea what this post is trying to achieve. You say you don't like gay people and our "sexual choices," and that we are "jealous" of heteros? Really?

Well, alrighty then. Good luck with that.
Ok summary.. what rights do you not have that straight people have in eyes of the law. Besides getting married. Of which I even said is not even a right. Men and women dont even have that right you have apply. Also if your from different churches sometimes you can't marry until one person converts. Is that a right. So explain to me in the eyes of the law not in the eyes of human hearts and minds where you believe you have the right to something and dont already have it. As a individual you have a right not as a group. Also go back and read the my post again.
Answer the question what rights to BI people have. Can they married a man and a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 03:01 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equality4all View Post
I think I understand where you are coming from and I agree with you. I wouldn't say that my being gay defines me as a person, but, being gay does nescessarily play a part in our daily life if for no other reason than we are often expected to conform to society's flawed definition of normalcy.

A lot of people don't seem to understand just how many challenges are presented to us daily simply because of our sexual orientation
. Whenever my partner and I decide to move, travel, attend public events, etc, etc, consideration must always be given to our safety. These added challenges do help to shape who we are and how we view and interact with the world around us.
Your statement is not unfounded, especially if you live in the south.
My girlfriend and I went walking in the park and I wanted to hold her hand so badly but since we were on the side of the street in the bike/pedestrian lane, we feared someone would run us over.

When I'm out by myself, I sometimes wonder, "Would this person treat me differently if they knew I was a lesbian?" "I wonder if this person voted for [insert anti-gay ballot issue]."

For the most part we haven't encountered any harassment but I know the last time we went to our favorite pizza place, some family made it the highlight of their night to gawk at us. Normally we sit on opposite sides but it was my birthday and I didn't want to hide that we were a couple. All we did was sit close to one another and look deeply into one another's eyes a couple times. No making out or anything yet this family made it their priority to stare at us.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:05 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Ok summary.. what rights do you not have that straight people have in eyes of the law. Besides getting married. Of which I even said is not even a right. Men and women dont even have that right you have apply. Also if your from different churches sometimes you can't marry until one person converts. Is that a right. So explain to me in the eyes of the law not in the eyes of human hearts and minds where you believe you have the right to something and dont already have it. As a individual you have a right not as a group. Also go back and read the my post again.
Answer the question what rights to BI people have. Can they married a man and a woman.
Marriage affords thousands of important rights, privileges and responsibilities.

I suggest you check out the videos on this website YouTube - 10couples's Channel

Old 06-19-2009, 03:07 PM

491 posts, read 925,773 times
Quote:
There are many protections as well as rights we are denied as a minority group. Employers and housing may discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation (we do not have protected status), gays and lesbians do not have the right to adopt in most places, we cannot serve openly in the military, DOMA, the list goes on and on.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:34 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Other then marrying what is it you cant do being gay.
You hit the nail on the head, you answered your own question. Wouldn't that just steam you if you wanted to get married to someone you love & they said "sorry, nope, no way, too bad for you?" Yep, you'd be p**sed, really really pi**ed.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:02 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post

The only way that I can judge a person is on the content of their character, and I'll tell you something; the two Gay guys living next door to me have more character than 90 percent of the straight people that I know.
Benito Mussolini had a lot of "character" as well.

Moderator cut: harrassment

Last edited by fauve; 06-19-2009 at 11:03 PM..

Old 06-19-2009, 04:10 PM

491 posts, read 925,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
Benito Mussolini had a lot of "character" as well.

... and you think that character is all that we should care about in order to support qu.eers... so by your own measure, we could support tyrants, so long as they had character.
You poor, sad child.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:13 PM

157 posts, read 243,851 times
Quote:
To my way of thinking, the issue is this: marriage has two aspects, a civil (or legal) side and a religious side (if chosen). Should any church be required to perform a specific marriage, homosexual or heterosexual? No. Should a church be permitted to perform a specific marriage, homosexual or heterosexual? Yes. The answer to each question is due to our nation's protected right to free practice of religion, and the separation that exists between church and state--neither has the right to impose its will on the other.

The civil side is where the issue is at. Marriage conveys not only responsibilities, but legal protections as well. Examples are: custody issues; financial, asset, and property distribution/protection should the union be dissolved or a partner dies; health insurance; hospital privileges; life-support termination decision-making in the absence of a living will; and tax breaks; etc. (Some of these protections and privileges may vary from state to state.) The only federal mandate of the states in the U.S. Constitution is this:

Amendment XIV. Section I. "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

The bolded parts are the most significant. In certain states, partners in heterosexual unions are being afforded legal protections that partners in homosexual unions are being denied. In order to justify that, there would have to be a reason that meets the following criteria: does a legally-recognized homosexual union present any kind of risk of harm to another individual or society that a legally-recognized heterosexual union does not?

No. It doesn't. So, I can't really see a valid reason for there to be a legal distinction between the two.

You're correct when you say that the legal side of marriage is a privilege and not a right when one examines the definition of the words. But the application of that privilege and its benefits should be uniform and equal. As long as a state extends marital protections to heterosexuals, there are no legal grounds for it to NOT extend homosexuals "equal protection of the laws."

JMHO.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:40 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,424,834 times
Quote:
Ok summary.. what rights do you not have that straight people have in eyes of the law. Besides getting married. Of which I even said is not even a right. Men and women dont even have that right you have apply. Also if your from different churches sometimes you can't marry until one person converts. Is that a right. So explain to me in the eyes of the law not in the eyes of human hearts and minds where you believe you have the right to something and dont already have it.
What the church does or does not do insofar as allowing people to marry is not the issue here since it in no way affects, advances or hinders two peoples ability to marry.

Marriage might not be a right but the ability to get married is certainly one that is afforded all over the world even in the most third world of countries. As long as you are a man and a woman you can get married anywhere in the world. Period. Full stop. (I'm not even going to get into the different requirements that might first have to be met in some areas such as dowry's, blood tests, etc because really, I think we're adult enough not to make it necessary.) Given that it sure seems like a right doesn't it?

But I'll leave that aspect alone. If it is not a right, it could be called an ability but it is also a privilege. A privilege that is then afforded only if you meet the criteria of marrying someone of the opposite sex. Now myself, I'm not one that is keen on privileges that are granted only to segments of the population while excluding others. I feel that way on most every topic that is a privilege at the government level. We have also found in the past that such privileges cause schisms within the society that bring a whole new set of issues - which is one of the reasons so many people find the class system distasteful; the privileges granted for what is often no more than a chance of birth.

Thus, for my money, whether it is a privilege or a right it should be available to all couples, equally. And considering all the things being married then has bearing on (taxes, pensions, insurance, etc) those things should either be stripped or afforded to everyone. I could give two hoots about marrying in a church but I sure would like my partner to be able to receive my pension if I go first, as she would be able to if we were straight, considering we've been together as long as we have and given the way a household works she's put into it too.

And I guess, I just am unable to believe that if an announcement was made tomorrow where the government said there would be no more marriages in the eyes of the law, straights wouldn't have a bloody fit to reattain their right to marry. In that instant, straights everywhere would scream from the rooftops it was their right to marry, not an ability.

Oh for the record, internationally, if you look up the International Declaration of Human Rights, marriage is a right.

Old 06-19-2009, 04:47 PM

609 posts, read 1,174,537 times
i dont think you have to be "proud" of being gay just as im not "proud" of being straight... its a preference and is beyond your control. Its perfectly ok to be gay and gay marriage is good too. people who love each other deserve to be married, regardless of the sexes involved .. but again I'm not "proud" of liking the taste of ketchup, or "proud" of liking soccer.. its just my preference and not really "who i am"... and you wonder why extreme conservatives are making such rude statements... some people never learn...

anyone else agree??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies