Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: SHARP MORAL DECLINE IN AMERICA...WHY? You can choose more than one
Religion/Prayer taken out of school 8 12.50%
Lack of Discipline 21 32.81%
Working Parents 18 28.13%
Media 21 32.81%
All of the Above 22 34.38%
None of the Above 5 7.81%
Other 21 32.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 07:50 PM

111 posts, read 262,881 times

Advertisements

The post by Travel'r...I appreciate that kind of insight, and I agree wholeheartedly that the children of our society are stepping over the natural and Biblical boundaries of authority.

The remedy is something Benjamin Spock and John Dewey would berate me for. It's truly a good old-fashioned spanking.

[Insert cries of pain and accusations of abuse here]

[And here]

[And here, in this overflow bracket]

...You see, I was spanked as a child. Now I have an IQ of 162 at the age of 20, and have discipline and morality that most people would scoff at. Why? Am I bragging? Not of myself, but my parents. Who would not LET me hang out with the wrong kids. Who gave me a belt to my hide (not in anger, but in controlled discipline...there is a line that anyone can cross to make this become abuse, certainly) when I said a bad word or stole the candy. When I questioned my parent's authority, I got the belt across my rear.

But the professors...they state that this thing destroys a child. They WANT them to question authority. Well...let's do that for a couple hundred years, Sigmund Freud. Ok, where did we end up? With kids acting like parents, and parents acting like kids.

Hmm...nice going, professor.

Don't blame me for going back to the Bible where it says, "Spare the rod, spoil the child" and "He who chasteneth not his son hateth his son".

Give the kid some chores. Teach him responsibility. Teach her modesty. Teach him not to buck. Teach her how to be a lady. Teach him how to be a man. And correct them when they fail. Not to discourage or disparage, but to show which path should be taken.

The path of obedience and self-discipline: Blessing.
The path of disobedience and rebellion: Punishment.

But the professors don't think this works. Hmm. Take a long, no, a short look around you. That's all it takes to see that...

They were wrong.

Thanks for reading, friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 08:03 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,433,568 times
Wow traveler, you're my kind of person! I was gonna say the same thing!!I have forbidden the grandchildren to get on the computer at my house except for homework and a few other things. "MY Space " gets them grounded for a week. In my opinion busy working parents are the culprits here. I understand that sometimes both parents do have to work. Society needs to get it through there heads that kids need a parent at home.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:51 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,489,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I checked Other.
Each generation has some awful thing to deal with one way or another.
I do not believe America is going to hell in a handbasket, but we do have our problems.
For me, it is how much capitalism and the media control our behavior.
It's all about how to make a profit: influence, but no responsibility.
Everyone is out for themselves. They have to be.
Corporate BS has taken over decisions parents make. Corporations have their hands in spineless policymakers' pockets. Music, art, cinema etc are rated according to sensational media trends and/or box office.
"Can you top this"? has become the watchword in the media. They think that's the only thing that will sell.
Our country is being steered by the almighty dollar (which is not so mighty anymore.)
The trickle down affect permeates our lifestyle, our laws, our morals, our foreign policy.
To me, it's too bad that people feel they must resort to homeschooling or other forms of isolation to protect their children from this kind of stuff--yet I don't blame them.
The trouble is, this breaks down our community.
I apologize for this rhetoric-filled manifesto but hopefully y'all will get my drift.
I'm with you. "Gangsta capitalism" like what we have now produces "gangsta" values.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:47 AM

14,496 posts, read 26,522,799 times
Default agree-

Quote:
I checked Other.
I do not believe America is going to hell in a handbasket, but we do have our problems.
Corporate BS has taken over decisions parents make. Corporations have their hands in spineless policymakers' pockets. Music, art, cinema etc are rated according to sensational media trends and/or box office.
"Can you top this"? has become the watchword in the media. They think that's the only thing that will sell.
Our country is being steered by the almighty dollar (which is not so mighty anymore.)
The trickle down affect permeates our lifestyle, our laws, our morals, our foreign policy.
To me, it's too bad that people feel they must resort to homeschooling or other forms of isolation to protect their children from this kind of stuff--yet I don't blame them.
I apologize for this rhetoric-filled manifesto but hopefully y'all will get my drift.
This is an excellent post. Are other cultures as celebrity obsessed as this country's youth seem to be?

Old 04-15-2007, 10:44 AM

694 posts, read 2,645,344 times
Some folk shouldn't breed.
Parenting requires commitment, sacrifice and love.
If both can not give all three the child will look for it elsewhere.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:34 AM

646 posts, read 1,784,624 times
When reading this post, my first question is, how come you're saying that there is a sharp moral decline in the US? What do you compare this to? When we had slavery, before the civil rights movements, or what? I would like to see some facts behind this. From what I read, crime is going down and not up, but if you can give us some numbers on this alleged decline, that would be greatly appreciated.

But if this is a face, I don't think religion has much bearing on this at all. Just look at countries in Scandinavia where hardly anybody is religious and how well those countries do in taking care of the poor, educate everybody, love crime and no tolerance for discrimination.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:46 AM

2,971 posts, read 2,246,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
When reading this post, my first question is, how come you're saying that there is a sharp moral decline in the US? What do you compare this to? When we had slavery, before the civil rights movements, or what? I would like to see some facts behind this. From what I read, crime is going down and not up, but if you can give us some numbers on this alleged decline, that would be greatly appreciated.

But if this is a face, I don't think religion has much bearing on this at all. Just look at countries in Scandinavia where hardly anybody is religious and how well those countries do in taking care of the poor, educate everybody, love crime and no tolerance for discrimination.
There is no way to compare what is happening in such a tiny country as Sweden to the U.S. It is like comparing Israels success in fighting terror to the U.S. There is no comparison. Besides there is one word to describe Sweden's answer to "solving its social problems" though on a much smaller scale. Taxes taxes taxes!

Old 04-15-2007, 12:42 PM

74 posts, read 234,123 times
All the posts here are excellent ones and I am at a loss to add to any of the thoughts already posted except for my overall view. My backround is rather an extreme one, and it has compelled me to look into the failings/acheivments of society in such a way that Im sure some folks here will break ranks here. Most will agree that war brings out the best and worst in people. A "free" society is also a place were the best and worst in people can be expressed "openly" over time. The point is (from a spiritual angle) the world is perfectly tuned to alow individuals (in free nations) the ability to express FREE WILL for better or worse. There is a saying, You were born to die, prepare for it! Your nieghbors, those kids, my kids, find their spiritual centers when directly impacted by some one's or there own for that matter "extreme" behavior. Putting age aside, we are all learning deep spiritual lessons from the extremes of hatefull and love filled actions around us. It is in this sence, I find the moral degradation in the world today an important ingredient that helps define the road we take in the after-life. I try to provide my kids with what ever tools I can provide, its up to them to use them. Jesus's answer to morality was " forgive them, for they known not what they do". I truely feel we are in the last throws of a ending world society and the extreme behaviors will only get worse once the fear factor begines to set in. Hang on, were in for one hell of a ride!

Old 04-15-2007, 03:25 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,821,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
I'm sorry I messed the first one up let's try this again lol

Ok, as requested by someone on another post, I have decided to start a thread regarding America's moral decay. I also decided to do this as a poll to see what everyone thinks. Please feel respond freely, HOWEVER....
PLEASE NO PERSONAL ATTACKS, RIDICULE OR HARSH REMARKS TOWARD ANYONE BASED ON THEIR BELIEFS! This is to discuss everyone's opinions and friendly debate maybe, but I don't want anyone getting offended or attacked.

Regardless of everyone's beliefs and differences of opnion, we all have to agree that our morals in America are declining SHARPLY! We have sexual predators preying on our young children, chidren being prostituted out by their own mothers, the shedding of innocent blood, severe cruelty and abuse...you name it, we've got it! We have drug addicted parents and parent drug dealers) neglecting their children and even encouraging their kids to take over the "family business" of drug dealing and gang banging.
We have kids that are growing up with NO BOUNDARIES or limitations. Too many Kids today do not obey and respect their parents, teachers or anyone else of authority.
Where do you think these problems stem from?
Lack of prayer in school?
Lack of discipline?
All of the above?
None of the above?
Other? (ie. lack of activities, working parents etc?)

To me, it's a combo of issues.

1. Religion creates a deterrent to crime and other types of bad behavior. For years, the United States relied on people "policing themselves" to do what is right and honorable. It was because of the country's religious foundation that people (even the non-religious) had some honor and sense of right and wrong. Now that is gone, it's the "do what feels good" culture that we see in Europe (and look at the mess their socities are with mass drug use, mass depression, and high suicide rates).

2. The Media. We grew up knowing who the good guys were and who the bad guys were. Superman, The Duke, and Batman were the good guys while Joker and Lex Luthor were bad. That was cut and dry, a clear "right and wrong".

NOW, people think Snoop Dog is "good" but in a "different way". Snoop Dog and other thug rappers advocate drug use, possession of illegal guns, beating and abusing women, and being 'gangers' and taking whatever they wnat by force. The media has twisted culture in a way that the bad people. The media glorifies bad behavior so much that 'it is cool to be bad'.

3. Teachers. I know not all teachers are bad (my mother-in-law is a public school teacher). But some teachers and school are indoctrinating America's kids to have this liberalistic, anti-American midset. They are being raised to hate America and to accept everything (drugs, sex, bad bahavior, etc). Kids are taught that "well, Osama Bin Laden orchestrated the killing of 5,000 Americans in 1 day, BUT why is that?? Because America is evil, that is why. If we just gave him money and did what he wanted, this would not happen". There are a LOT of teacher that tell our kids that.

4. Music. This is one of the worse, and I will use gangsta rappers again as my example. Parents should NOT let this kids buy these types of CDs. I saw this one 7 or 8 year old yelling at people at Universal the other day. He was saying you "motherf**** I am going to kill you. I am going to rape you, hoe". Just crazy talk!! Where did he hear such things?? I bet it's on rap cds. That is where that stuff is.

5. Parents being forced to work. I KNOW I will take a LOT of heat for saying this and I bet a lot of negative feedback, but before the "feminist revolution" in the 1960's one man working could support a whole family (wife, kids, dog, 1 car, and a house). After the 1960's, women "revolted" and started working outside the home. The surge in the number of available workers drove wages down (slowly) and today 1/2 of the US workforce is female and guess why?? Because wages are so low today that both parents are FORCED to work outside the home to make ends meet.

So today, even when a mother wants to stay home and raise a good child, she cannot. So these women have to let MTV and Snoop Dog raise her kids. The result is you having to pick up your kid at the local police station because your unsupervised kid was caught vandalizing a car or shoplifiting.

6. The dumb politicians and psychologists. Politicians pass law in "quack states" (like MA, CT, NJ, etc) to prevent parents from spanking. They think sending kids to their rooms for a "time out" works.... little they know the kid has a Playstation, cable TV, and plenty of snacks, so really, the "punishment" is actually a nice funh break.

The psychologists (liberal ones) think kids should never be punished, as it "discourages them". Well, guess what? Some kids NEED to be discouraged from doing bad and unless there is some form of punishment available, the kid will have no reason to be good. I was good as a kid, because I knew that if I got too crazy, I would get a spanking. I turned out pretty ok.,.. never smoked either cigs or weed, drive very little, never arrested/in trouble, got a college degree and all. And I credit that to my mom talking to me and telling me right from wrong and knowing that being bad was not right and there is a punishment (spanking) for being bad.

These are some of the reasons. Go ahead, rip me for my comments on women having to work and the no-spank laws.

Old 04-15-2007, 03:30 PM

1,247 posts, read 920,559 times
Quote:
I checked Other.
I can sum it up in one word, consumerism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies