Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 06:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
His QUALITY of care.. or was it just waiting times..
My mistake. I meant Quality of LIFE.

I have made the necessary corrections in my post.

And I fully realize that $30,000 is quite a bit of money. But, this couple, having worked all their life - done pretty good with their investments and all, feel comfortable with this cost. Like I related earlier, the wife told me a little while ago, they thought it would have been quite a bit more in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 06:18 PM

45 posts, read 42,154 times
[quote=Greatday;11357181]Did I say that? No, I did not. I might suggest that you stop trying to mis-characterizing another's post. It is most disingenuous of you.[quote]

You brought up that you said your friend had more rehab than I did, and my voice rehab is not over, there will probably be three more months of it after the vocal cords were surgically repaired after the cyst was removed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
As I'm sure you can appreciate however, many, many months of physical rehabilitation on each hip is not a cake walk either.
And added cost for each rehab session in the US, or are they going to lower themselves to have the same health care as the Premier of their province and their Member of Parliament which they get in Canada.

Quote:
BTW, you have continuously brought up the monetary issue? To many, it is not that important of an issue. For example, our friend could have waited and paid very little out of pocket for his care. But, he felt that his quality of care was more important than any money needed to be spent.
Because that's why so many hundreds of Americans come to Canada for treatment and why 45,000 Americans die per year and 100,000 Americans declare bankruptcy because of health care bills, US health care is rationed by finances. Your friend would have had quality care in Canada as well, in fact the average Canadian has far better quality than the average American as well as far more accessible health care. Basically for the average person, US health care is inferior in every measure, unless you have hundreds of thousands of dollars to afford better.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyj87 View Post
You brought up that you said your friend had more rehab than I did, and my voice rehab is not over, there will probably be three more months of it after the vocal cords were surgically repaired after the cyst was removed..
Actually, I did not say he HAD more rehab. That would be impossible as he has not had the surgery yet

Quote:
And added cost for each rehab sesion in the US, or are they going to lower themselves to have the same health care as the Premier of their province and their Member of Parliament which they get in Canada.
From what I understand from his wife, the cost quote includes the rehabilitation sessions. He will remain here for the duration - he will stay with us.

Quote:
Because that's why so many hundreds of Americans come to Canada for treatment and why 45,000 Americans die per year and 100,000 Americans declare bankruptcy because of health care bills, US health care is rationed by finances.
Well, keep in mind that many who ostensibly file BK here for "medical" reasons often time file because of a lack of INCOME because of medical issues. They may have insurance to cover the health issues - but often times, are out of work and have no disability insurance.

Quote:
Your friend would have had quality care in Canada as well, in fact the average Canadian has far better quality than the average American as well as far more accessible health care. Basically for the average person, US health care is inferior in every measure, unless you have hundreds of thousands of dollars to afford better.
Well, your statement above is debatable. He will have immediate access to health care providers. It is not going to cost him "hundreds of thousands of dollars" as you suggest. He certainly is going to have a great place to complete his rehabilitation He will have 24/7 access to the pool and jacuzzi, a full outdoor kitchen. a golf cart to ride all over the property and so on - all at no extra charge!!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Inasmuch as our Friend is not on American Insurance, your comment is, in effect a Non Sequitur. And, not to diminish any of your fine Physicians in Canada, he is going to be under the care of one of the finest Orthopedists in the world. As for the cost, he is paying for the care out of his pocket. I understand from talking to his wife a little while ago, it's going to be around $15,000 per hip including hospital and re-hab care - so, somewhere in the $30,000 range. He's fine with that. She told me they thought it would be much more.
They're still using the inflated priced US health care system, driven by the US insurance companies that run the health care system in the US. Canadians would NEVER accept an insurance company bureaucrat or any other bureaucrat standing between us and our physicians. Americans apparently love having insurance company bureaucrats standing between them and their physicians, rationing their care for profit and having that insurance company bureaucrat dictating to your physician what treatment you will or will not have. No one stands between our physicians and us in Canada. Canadians have freedom, whereas Americans are slaves of insurance companies, whether they have insurance or not. Insurance companies ensure that quality medical care is unaffordable in the US without Cadillac insurance plans.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
They're still using the inflated priced US health care system, driven by the US insurance companies that run the health care system in the US. Canadians would NEVER accept an insurance company bureaucrat or any other bureaucrat standing between us and our physicians. Americans apparently love having insurance company bureaucrats standing between them and their physicians, rationing their care for profit and having that insurance company bureaucrat dictating to your physician what treatment you will or will not have. No one stands between our physicians and us in Canada. Cnadaians have freedom, whereas Americans are slaves of insurance companies, whether they have insurance or not. Insurance companies ensure that quality medical care is unaffordable in the US without Cadillac insurance plans.
Now I believe you are making statements from an uninformed position.

And while Canadians might not like our system, millions of Americans would not like the Canadian system

Frankly, this discussion is one of futility as the United States IS NOT going to be changing to a Canadian style system.

BTW - and just an FYI, personally, I have NEVER had my insurance company stand between me and my physician. Never. And over the course of the last year, I have had several MAJOR medical issues - handled between my physicans and I, bills paid by my insurance company, with little to no disputes on either side.

Frankly, that is an old and very tired piece of donkey dong that has been proven so wrong but, the leftists in this country sure like to keep repeating it. I think they believe that if they say it often enough, it will be true.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Well, your statement above is debatable. He will have immediate access to health care providers. It is not going to cost him "hundreds of thousands of dollars" as you suggest. He certainly is going to have a great place to complete his rehabilitation He will have 24/7 access to the pool and jacuzzi, a full outdoor kitchen. a golf cart to ride all over the property and so on - all at no extra charge!!
And he will end up paying far more than he expects once they start adding on each rehab session and each surgical sponge etc. they use. It will end up costing them at least $100,000 and probably more.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
And he will end up paying far more than he expects once they start adding on each rehab session and each surgical sponge etc. they use. It will end up costing them at least $100,000 and probably more.
No - it won't. The price by this physican / this hospital is set. As for the hospital - the price you get quoted may change - downward, never upward.

Sorry to disappoint you though.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:39 PM

Quote:
BTW - and just an FYI, personally, I have NEVER had my insurance company stand between me and my physician. Never. And over the course of the last year, I have had several MAJOR medical issues - handled between my physicans and I, bills paid by my insurance company, with little to no disputes on either side.
So you've never had an insurance claim denied and never had to get insurance company approval for your claim of having major medical isssues? You must have one of those Cadillac plans that you pay $25,000 a year for or that your pay raises have been non existent for years because of.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
So you've never had an insurance claim denied and never had to get insurance company approval for your claim of having major medical isssues? You must have one of those Cadillac plans that you pay $25,000 a year for or that your pay raises have been non existent for years because of.
Never had a claim denied. My Doctor tells the insurance company - here's the bill. Here is the Hospital he is going too. No denials. Ever.

I pay $1,000 a month - $12,000 a year. I pay my own insurance. No employer pays for my insurance. Nor did my rate go up this year (good now til near the end of 2010)

Nor can I ever get medicare either.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Never had a claim denied. My Doctor tells the insurance company - here's the bill. Here is the Hospital he is going too. No denials. Ever.

I pay $1,000 a month - $12,000 a year. I pay my own insurance. No employer pays for my insurance. Nor did my rate go up this year (good now til near the end of 2010)

Nor can I ever get medicare either.
Well you are definitely a minuscule minority in the US as well then. It;s funny that you're one of a handfull of Americans who have never had an insurance company ration care by claim denial, and you know one of a handful of Canadians who prefer US insurance-run health care. Sounds like you are a very small minority of one, based on both of those rare scenarios. Ask the 122 Americans who died today from having their health care rationed by insurance companies in the US what they would think of 100% of American citizens having health care available to them as Canadians have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies