Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 05:16 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post
Per your link " There are more than 1,500 NICUs in the United States. "
Also, in the Bibliography, the most current work cited was from 2000 -- 9 years ago -- today that number could be even higher. Quote from OhBeeHave
Undoubtedly, there are more now: the increased number of premature births could possibly be related to the substandard care for pregnant women under our current (and inadequate) system.

Premature babies on the increase
How many women fail to go to regular ob appointments when they are pregnant, despite receiving healthcare from state and local run clinics?

How many women continue to smoke and drink during pregnancy?

How many women do not eat properly during pregnancy despite receiving WIC?

How many women engage in risky behaviors (drug use, unprotected sex with multiple partners, etc.) despite educational programs put into place by the government?

You can lead a horse to water....

With or without UHC there will still be premature births for myriad reasons.

I have paid for my health care (out-of-pocket) and have done the right thing while pregnant. Yet I had 2 premature infants. (Mercifully not as small as the baby in the OP.)

Honestly, I feel for the parents in the OP. I couldn't imagine having my baby in one country (I couldn't cross into) receiving health care which couldn't be provided in my own -- for any reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That is the way polls are done. They take a sample. They don't ask all 300 million of us what we think.
And that's what is wrong with a lot of what goes on in government.

Our local Congressman voted yes on Cap and Trade despite an overwhelming turn out of the population stating NO.

IMHO a number of us who are either on the fence about UHC or against it feel that the government will base many decisions which will impact the standard of health care we receive upon a sample, or in the case of our local Congressman, listen only to a handful of constituents who have 'special interests' in the outcome.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salukifan1 View Post
Perhaps a different source will be more persuasive.

Health Care and Public Policy: What Do Americans Really Want? - Deloitte LLP (http://www.deloitte.com/dtt/article/0,1002,sid%253D80772%2526cid%253D242408,00.html - broken link)

4001 people -- a bigger sample than the other study, but still somewhat low given the size of the US population. I am very sorry if I sound picky, but with something so critical to all, I truly believe a much bigger sampling is needed.

I did, however, bookmark the site because I want to go back and read over the 103 page pdf attachment in order to fully appreciate the study.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:11 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The province of Ontario, which according to your posting is mostly unpopulated, only contains 1/3 of ALL Canadian citizens -- many of whom live in more densely populated areas which you have pointed out are relatively close to the US Border.

But that is getting away from the issue. The preemie had to be shipped out of the province of Ontario because there was a shortage of NIC beds brought about by reduced/lack or rationing of funding in the Canadian UHC.
We aren't being told if there were NIC beds available in the neighboring Canadian province -- which could change this discussion considerably. If there were, why not send the preemie to the Canadian NIC in the neighboring province? Is it a cost factor, or is it a time/distance/medical condition issue, or is UHC, despite being a national program, provincially based? I ask questions because I want to learn. It is my belief that the more we learn, the better prepared we are when/if the time comes to introduce UHC here.
Big leap there, bub! You don't know why there was no NICU bed for this baby.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:21 PM

This is an interesting thread on the Canada Forum
//www.city-data.com/forum/canad...ou-feel-2.html

One has to sort through opinions and such, but there is some info to be had.

Googling around, I found the following paper written in the UK about the Canadian system. It lists both good and bad points and is less biased then something coming from the US or Canada.
http://www.civitas.org.uk/pdf/Canada.pdf
It was originally written in 2002, updated in 2005.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Big leap there, bub! You don't know why there was no NICU bed for this baby.
Bub? No, I am a Bubbette

As I had posted back a bit on the thread, citing one hospital by name, despite having X number of beds, the funding only allows for a reduced percentage of those beds to be available and properly staffed. The hospital cited had only 14 out of 24 beds running.

Another hospital cited turned away 50% of new admissions.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:34 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD2.0 View Post
Has anyone seen the 20/20 show on Canadian Health Care? Even a lot of their doctors say it's f-ed up, many people can't find a regular doctor, the "waiting lists" are so long that they actually hold drawings to see who gets to see a doctor, people who have had heart attacks have to wait for a spot in ICU and might get in if they are lucky, etc., etc., etc. But hey... maybe it was just all part of some vast right-wing conspiracy?

You might find it on Youtube or something.
I live on the other border, Mexico also has nationalized health care and it's incredible how many come over here to use our health care system. Nationalized health care can't be that great.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:30 PM

817 posts, read 852,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I live on the other border, Mexico also has nationalized health care and it's incredible how many come over here to use our health care system. Nationalized health care can't be that great.
From what i've seen many people here who support a national health program know the least about how they work. They just have this image in there head that it will fix all the problems and everyone will live happily ever after.

Old 06-28-2009, 08:55 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
4001 people -- a bigger sample than the other study, but still somewhat low given the size of the US population. I am very sorry if I sound picky, but with something so critical to all, I truly believe a much bigger sampling is needed.

I did, however, bookmark the site because I want to go back and read over the 103 page pdf attachment in order to fully appreciate the study.

And I appreciate that; many posters prefer to get their information from many
different sources, particularly books. As to women and risky behavior while
pregnant, a large part of that is lack of education, both at home and in school. I can see where this story would strike a nerve with you; I am glad that your babies were survivors.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:35 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Surely you can provide us with some statistics and examples of how what you say is true and only happening one way.
How about the population of Canada is about 33,696,000 in 2009 and compare that to the nearly 310 million Americans? Would that be figures you could apply to what I said about the vast difference in the two nations?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies