Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 07:59 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
So then why'd you call him "Sir"?
I was being facetious, wh/ must have been lost on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truehorn View Post
LOL noise from the losers. The general came right to heel didn't he? Yes Senator, no Senator, three bags full Senator.
Yes, because he is an officer and a gentleman. He is also smart enuff to know that she looked absolutely ridiculous. Obviously. Or we wouldn't be talking about it.

The facts are: he did not commit a faux pas. Boxer is an arrogant, bloated up ole toad and an embarrassment to the Senate.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 PM

958 posts, read 2,132,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yup, any woman who has the audacity to defend another woman is a man hater which makes you a woman hater...so I guess we're even. BTW, it was sexism from the start.
I'll type slowly for you.
A senator and a general are in a formal setting. The general is being asked some questions by the senator. In a response to a question he respectful replies begins with a yes ma'am no ma'am what ever and begins to answer.

The senator abruptly interrupts the general to tell general that the senator has a "title" which the senator says thorough hard work was attained.

Then you [SIZE=6]WANT[/SIZE] to make a sexist issue out of the senator disrespecting the general.

The two parties involved just happen to be male and female which is a byproduct NOT THE ISSUE. Deal with it!

Old 06-24-2009, 07:00 AM

24 posts, read 26,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yes, because he is an officer and a gentleman. He is also smart enuff to know that she looked absolutely ridiculous. Obviously. Or we wouldn't be talking about it.

The facts are: he did not commit a faux pas. Boxer is an arrogant, bloated up ole toad and an embarrassment to the Senate.
LOL well your "officer and a gentleman" (funny how civilians persist in this archaic nomenclature) is in Secretary Gates' doghouse for embarrassing the department and I'm sure will be at the next refresher course on political etiquette. A course that you will not be invited to teach.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:50 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeytrot View Post
I'll type slowly for you.
A senator and a general are in a formal setting. The general is being asked some questions by the senator. In a response to a question he respectful replies begins with a yes ma'am no ma'am what ever and begins to answer.

The senator abruptly interrupts the general to tell general that the senator has a "title" which the senator says thorough hard work was attained.

Then you [SIZE=6]WANT[/SIZE] to make a sexist issue out of the senator disrespecting the general.

The two parties involved just happen to be male and female which is a byproduct NOT THE ISSUE. Deal with it!
It was sexist because if a male senator had asked to be called Senator it wouldn't have even made the news....and the absurd level of hatred would not have been reached.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
It was sexist because if a male senator had asked to be called Senator it wouldn't have even made the news....and the absurd level of hatred would not have been reached.
I disagree, I think this is an example of Republicans being professional offendees.
Whether it's Letterman making jokes, Michelle Obama touching the Queen of England, or Senator Boxer correcting a general, Republicans seek out offense and make a mountain out of something that isn't even a molehill.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
LOL well your "officer and a gentleman" (funny how civilians persist in this archaic nomenclature) is in Secretary Gates' doghouse for embarrassing the department and I'm sure will be at the next refresher course on political etiquette. A course that you will not be invited to teach.
Truehorn: Nobody is going to the doghouse . . . Too bad Boxer's constituents won't take her to the doghouse, as that is definitely where she should be.

I am not interested in teaching etiquette to the military, nor am I interested in teaching it to you, altho it appears a course in civil discourse might serve you well.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Truehorn: Nobody is going to the doghouse . . . Too bad Boxer's constituents won't take her to the doghouse, as that is definitely where she should be.

I am not interested in teaching etiquette to the military, nor am I interested in teaching it to you, altho it appears a course in civil discourse might serve you well.
LOL thank you Pot.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Good God, she isn't Queen of England. This was no faux pas on the General's part (there is no requirement to show any special respect to someone who has a political title) but it sure as hell was unseemly on Boxer's part to make an issue out of Her Eminency's title, for god's sake.

Military protocol is to address others using Sir and Ma'am and I AM POSITIVE there is no "protocol" requiring ANYONE to address a Senator as "Senator." You can address them as Mr. or Mrs, for that matter. It is correct to address the President as Sir, also.

If you have ever spent time watching CSPAN over the years, Senators and Congressmen are addressed in many different ways on the floor - everything from "my esteemed colleague" to "Mrs. Brown of Indiana" etc etc.

However, in this instance, it would have been more ACCURATE to address Boxer as "you arrogant B&TCH."

She is just a public servant.
Quote:
Listen - protocol is just that - protocol. It is etiquette and gives guidelines. He did not commit a faux pas by referring to her as Ma'am. If he had called her what she deserved to be called, then yes, that would have been a faux pas.

I happen to teach etiquette classes. There are ideals and then there is real life . . . and referring to a Senator as Ma'am is NOT an infraction of any sort.

I really don't give a rat's ass what you think of me. You are an arrogant jerk yourself and probably work for Boxer.

ETA: I just looked at your link and you are awfully selective about how you try to prove a point.

(And I quote)

In diplomatic and other public circles, "Sir" is generally considered an acceptable alternative to the formal address in both written and spoken greetings; this does not apply to religious or titled persons. The use of "Madam" or "Ma'am" for a female addressee is less customary but still acceptable, especially for high officeholders ("Madam Governor"). This rule also holds for high officials of foreign countries.

How's this for etiquette? Kiss my arse.
Quote:

Bolding mine.

Thank you for providing examples of YOUR civil discourse!!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
I disagree, I think this is an example of Republicans being professional offendees.
Whether it's Letterman making jokes, Michelle Obama touching the Queen of England, or Senator Boxer correcting a general, Republicans seek out offense and make a mountain out of something that isn't even a molehill.
Good point...they DO like to whine over the silliest stuff...takes their minds off their failed party , I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies