Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 01:08 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That is where people are WRONG. The NAACP did NOT ever ask that the book be "banned" or "removed" from a library. What they demanded was that the book be removed from the "required reading" list of schools. And I agree with them. There is a big difference between BANNING a book and forcing a black kid to read a book full of racial epithets. That is not a "stupid" position to take and if I were a black parent and some teacher wanted to force my young child to read that, I would be at their throat. Do they force young Jewish kids to read "Mein Kampf" or "The Hoax of The 20th Century"? No! Because they know better.

If you want to shelter your children from the realities of life, then that's fine. Personally, I would want my hypothetical children to know all of the issues we had as a fledgling nation, and how far we've come.

Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 03:59 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,135 times
Here's what I found amusing..."They call one character '******' with every swear word you can think of ... and they use the N-word," Braun said.

As if he's worried about the offensive terms used instead of actually being offended by the book being about homosexuality. Please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Oh yeah...and the liberal jerk*ffs never demanded books be banned.
Do you ever post anything sensical, ever? Can you ever back up your claim? Ever?

Old 06-21-2009, 04:24 PM

297 posts, read 349,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
There are 174,000 books in the West Bend Community Memorial Library, but Robert Braun, 74, of West Allis, Wis., just wants to burn one -- "Baby Be-Bop," by Francesca Lia Block.

"We will have demonstrations if they don't remove it," he said.

Library Book Riles Small Wisconsin Town - ABC News
These same groups would burn us at the stake too, if they were allowed to. These people are trying to force us back into the dark ages. They are Anti-Stem cell research, anti-gay, Anti-women's rights, anti, anti, anti!!

What they really are are anti-progress and anti-free thought.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:40 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,605 times
Quote:
That is where people are WRONG. The NAACP did NOT ever ask that the book be "banned" or "removed" from a library. What they demanded was that the book be removed from the "required reading" list of schools. And I agree with them. There is a big difference between BANNING a book and forcing a black kid to read a book full of racial epithets. That is not a "stupid" position to take and if I were a black parent and some teacher wanted to force my young child to read that, I would be at their throat. Do they force young Jewish kids to read "Mein Kampf" or "The Hoax of The 20th Century"? No! Because they know better.
They should 'force' Jewish kids to read 'Mein Kampf'. Knowledge is power -- and to deliberately cut oneself and others off from knowledge because it makes one uncomfortable is the height of stupidity.

Ironically the NAACP seems not to have a problem with gangsta rap which uses the 'n' word liberally. Not to mention how it protrays women. But somehow Huckleberry Finn is worse?

People who are so afraid of the written word whether it be the 'n' word, books about magic or gay people or subsersive political ideology are dangerous fools whether they be liberal or conservative or christian or muslim or atheist.

Don't like it, don't read it - but I will be damned if anyone tells me or my children what they cannot be trusted to read.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:09 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equality4all View Post
These same groups would burn us at the stake too, if they were allowed to. These people are trying to force us back into the dark ages. They are Anti-Stem cell research, anti-gay, Anti-women's rights, anti, anti, anti!!

What they really are are anti-progress and anti-free thought.
You know what's weird is it's always been this way.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:18 PM

297 posts, read 349,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
You know what's weird is it's always been this way.
I know, it really has, huh?

That's why it's so important that people never stop fighting for equal human rights and dignity for ALL People, be they homosexual, heterosexual, white, black, hispanic, male or female, Christian, Jewish or Muslim. There are always those that are trying to snuff out all forms of progress, education and enlightenment in order to maintain their control over the masses.

Perhaps the saddest part of it all is that they do not even adhere to the books that they value so highly and are attempting to force onto us in matters of law.

They don't want to feed the poor, in fact, they want them to starve; They don't want to provide healthcare to the needy, they'd prefer that they die; They pretend to value human life, yet they allow to starve, die of preventable/curable illnesses, kill, or imprison a vast number of those lives saved from abortion.

I often times find myself literally wondering "What would Jesus think?" of his 'followers' committing such attrocities in His name? I truly hope some of them get to find out just what Jesus REALLY thinks about their behavior someday.

Last edited by equality4all; 06-21-2009 at 06:29 PM..

Old 06-21-2009, 06:30 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,784,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
I don't know what the Christian Civil Liberties Union has to do with civil liberties. Are they talking about their liberty to impose their views on other by force and litigation?
More like the only liberties they want you to have are the ones they agree with.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:41 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equality4all View Post
I know, it really has, huh?

That's why it's so important that people never stop fighting for equal human rights and dignity for ALL People, be they homosexual, heterosexual, white, black, hispanic, male or female, Christian, Jewish or Muslim. There are always those that are trying to snuff out all forms of progress, education and enlightenment in order to maintain their control over the masses.

Perhaps the saddest part of it all is that they do not even adhere to the books that they value so highly and are attempting to force onto us in matters of law.

They don't want to feed the poor, in fact, they want them to starve; They don't want to provide healthcare to the needy, they'd prefer that they die; They pretend to value human life, yet they allow to starve, die of preventable/curable illnesses, kill, or imprison a vast number of those lives saved from abortion.

I often times find myself literally wondering "What would Jesus think?" of his 'followers' committing such attrocities in His name? I truly hope some of them get to find out just what Jesus REALLY thinks about their behavior someday.
Even I - as someone who is atheist and mistrustful of just about all organized religion - has to call bs on that statement.
They? Who is they? The people who want to ban books by Mark Twain? Or by Anne Rice? People who want to 'guard' the populace from our own stupidity? Because I will assure you that there are people on both political and religous spectrums that are guilty of that.

So no, I don't think that 'they' are all bad. I do think this particular group is wrong and douche-ish. But to say that all christian want people to die and starve or even that this particular group wants such a thing is just as wrong and douche-ish.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:34 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,945,815 times
Quote:
You did not read what I wrote. I said banned from USE, not banned from the libarary. If you are comparing huck finn to mein kampf then I would have to say that you have never read either book.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:39 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,945,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Even I - as someone who is atheist and mistrustful of just about all organized religion - has to call bs on that statement.
They? Who is they? The people who want to ban books by Mark Twain? Or by Anne Rice? People who want to 'guard' the populace from our own stupidity? Because I will assure you that there are people on both political and religous spectrums that are guilty of that.

So no, I don't think that 'they' are all bad. I do think this particular group is wrong and douche-ish. But to say that all christian want people to die and starve or even that this particular group wants such a thing is just as wrong and douche-ish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies