Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:46 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
These are the same nuts that will take MILLIONS of taxpayers money to build a crossing for a turtle. You know d*mn well all those turtles are provided with maps to their little tunnel.

Over and over again this was the only issue the guy from the EPA gave as a reason to shut off the water when he was on Hannity. he could care less about the millions effected, only the fishermen up north. How many hispanic fishermmen do you think there is up there?

"It will help protect the jobs of North Coast salmon fishermen, the recreational economy in the Delta"
Ahem, actually it was a "toad tunnel". and the story is actually pretty funny:

Davis' Toad Tunnel is a wildlife crossing that was constructed in 1995. Because of the building of an overpass, animal lovers worried about toads being killed by cars commuting from South Davis to North Davis, since the toads hopped from one side of a dirt lot (which the overpass replaced) to the reservoir at the other end. After much controversy, a decision was made to build a toad tunnel, which runs beneath the Pole Line Road overpass which crosses Interstate 80. The tunnel is 21 inches wide and 18 inches high.

The tunnel has created problems of its own. The toads originally refused to use the tunnel and so the tunnel was lighted to encourage its use. The toads then died from the heat of the lamps inside the tunnel. Once through the tunnel, the toads also had to contend with birds who grew wise to the toad producing hole in the ground.

Davis California

Serves as a good example of unintended consequences from the "deep greens". Wonder if they'll complain when they run out of food at the shelters, due to lack of food production in the valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 11:48 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Well, then, you should start working on helping to feed those families. I totally agree that American families should not go hungry in this enormously wealthy land of our. Only people with no hate in their hearts would begin to understand and to have empathy for hungry families.

Don't tell me you are a liberal expecting others to feed everyone instead of saying "I will see how I can help.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:51 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,215,205 times
Quote:
Don't tell me you are a liberal expecting others to feed everyone instead of saying "I will see how I can help.
Silly me. You said there was no hate in your heart. I guess I jumped to the conclusion that there was love and compassion in your heart for the hungry families who lost their family incomes through no fault of their own.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:15 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Nature adapts and all the millions of people put out of work and forced to stand in bread lines for hours on end will adapt to a new found hatred of liberalism where man is a throw away and a tiny fish or a bug is of more value. It will benefit us all in the long run that the left wingers are destroying the lives of mostly the hispanic people who live in that area.

The Hispanics I know are very proud people who take particular pride in working for a living. It defines their pro-family culture. Once again leftists are cutting their own throats. I say fine, go ahead.

Old 09-18-2009, 02:47 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
Silly me. You said there was no hate in your heart. I guess I jumped to the conclusion that there was love and compassion in your heart for the hungry families who lost their family incomes through no fault of their own.
TMy comment was not about me but some left winger that forgot that even the left can give to charity. I am positive I have never spoke to you about my heart or any other part of my person.

Thise people have lot their income becaue of left winger nutcases. Let's see how the left rallies to help them.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:53 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
The question I have is why are Democrats pitting the fisherman's union against the farm workers union? Surely, the farm worker's union is bigger than the commercial fisherman's union but probably not so when you add in the enviromentalist groups. Who gave more money to the Democrats during election 2008? I'm going with the environmentalists over the poor farm workers.

Plus, I saw a lot of Hispanic voters in that crowd on line for food, out of work or in danger of losing their farm.

Are the White House, Congress and the envirocrazies...racist?

You know, is it a matter of "Yeah, yeah, we love you guys at election time but frankly we can't be bothered with you poor people now. The fish folks have more money."

Old 09-18-2009, 07:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I am amused by the insistence of the original "live within your means" conservatives failing to recognize that even the dreamland of California has to live within the water available. The lack of water is the primary problem. Not who gets it for what reason but the sheer lack of enough rain and snow.

I see water allocation as the major political and environmental problem facing the entire Western US currently and in the near future. It looks like there will be a drop in water available and an increasing demand. This will be interesting to watch from a place that received over 40 in of rain so far this year.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:38 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I am amused by the insistence of the original "live within your means" conservatives failing to recognize that even the dreamland of California has to live within the water available. The lack of water is the primary problem. Not who gets it for what reason but the sheer lack of enough rain and snow.

I see water allocation as the major political and environmental problem facing the entire Western US currently and in the near future. It looks like there will be a drop in water available and an increasing demand. This will be interesting to watch from a place that received over 40 in of rain so far this year.
You are wrong Greg.

We actually have plenty of water to meet our needs in California. The problem is environmental groups who sue any initiative to capture the water and distribute it where needed. Their motive is pretty simple, they want to reduce the overall population in California to what they view as reasonable and sustainable.

We had a lot of rain out here this past March, and let most of it just run off into the ocean due to lack of dams for water retention:

As Schwarzenegger issued his declaration, the Legislature's perpetual political struggle over water policy resumed. And the often-heavy rains are themselves evidence that the state has been irresponsibly neglecting its water infrastructure...Virtually all of that water gushing down the Sacramento River to San Francisco Bay and the sea was storm runoff from below those dams, a clue that we need more ability to capture winter rains and hold the water for drier periods. In other words, we need to build the off-stream reservoir north of Sacramento that the state has long proposed, but that environmental groups have shortsightedly opposed.

http://www.sacbee.com/walters/story/1681184.html (broken link)

Same with the multiple desalination proposals that have been evaluated over the past few years, the critics discuss these as though we are draining the ocean.

Last edited by NewToCA; 09-18-2009 at 07:54 AM..

Old 09-18-2009, 09:01 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
The land between Bakersfield and Merced, generally running from the west side of Highway 99 and somewhat to the west of I-5. The area was full of vines, fruit trees and tomato crops, now mostly just brown dust kicking up over the highways.

We take I-5 down to LA, and return on Highway 99, so we get to see most of the valley.
Those are the conditions that created the dustbowls in other states in the 30's. No rain, nothing planted to keep the soil down...the environmental impact of shutting off that water will likely prove far worse than the deaths of 25 young fish.

Now if the thousands or millions of salmon and other fish living there rely on 25 young delta smelt, I think, we'd have already seen a collapse.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:04 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
I'm surprised some angry farmer hasn't dumped fish poison yet into the water there.

The world is facing shortages of food and people starving. This is a criminal action as far as I'm concerned, shutting that water off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies