Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 02:52 PM

925 posts, read 2,607,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
They've got the rest of the city, and they rest of the state, to enjoy their free speech. Nobody is suppressing them. Go one block down, and hand out your bs.
The moment one group is prevented from using a public area to use their first amendment rights is the moment free speech will be siphoned off into "free speech" zones and then ultimately discarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Are these christians nutjob/azzhats/rude to the extreme? Of course they are.
But - they should have the right to be christian nutjobs/azzhats/rude to the extreme as defined by our constitution regardless of who gets insulted by their views.
Look at the bigger picture here. A judge should not be able to take away rights guaranteed by the constitution for one segment of society in order to appease another segment. I don't like what they are about, but to say it is OK to take away their freedom of speech while believing that your freedom of speech will always be there is naive and dangerous.
I agree with you on the Constitutional aspect, I disagree with your lack of respect for people of the Christian faith. It is wrong.

Old 06-20-2009, 02:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I don't find camping's! post disrespectful to Christians. I think it is referring to obnoxious people who try to push their beliefs on other people who are there to have a good time.

Old 06-20-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I wish these evangelical Christians would somehow come to respect other spiritual paths as much as they want people to respect their own. They push to hard to destroy other cultures, and then cry victim when people push back.

I realize it's all rooted in the misguided belief that they are 100% right and everybody else is wrong, but I wonder how open they would be to Muslims proselytizing at their events. whose extreme wings also believe they are 100% right and everybody else is wrong.

Education system is failing.
For one, it IS the Great Commission, as commanded by Jesus Christ. They're following their religion. You have to respect their right to freely practice their religion.

Secondly, Islam has sought to destroy other cultures. Take a look at the following videos.

YouTube - Muslims Are Taking Over The World at an ALARMING Rate - MUSLIM IMMIGRATION

YouTube - Muslim immigration!

Old 06-20-2009, 03:03 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
A federal judge has upheld a decision by festival organizers in Dearborn, Mich., which is about 30 percent Muslim, to ban a Christian ministry from handing out religious information on public sidewalks.

The case is being brought on behalf of the Arabic Christian Perspective, a Christian group that ministers to Muslims. According to the Thomas More Law Center, Pastor George Saieg and scores of his volunteers have visited Dearborn for the city's Arab International Festival to hand out religious information several times.

"It's ironic that while Americans are applauding the free speech exercised by hundreds of thousands of Muslims on the streets of Iran, the city of Dearborn is restricting free speech rights Christians are attempting to exercise on the city's public sidewalks," said Richard Thompson, president of the Thomas More Law Center.

City corrals Christians at weekend Arab fest
The complaints cited a police statement that the Christians would be classified among "political parties and protesters," and would be limited to a single location.
- OP

Old 06-20-2009, 03:05 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Mary Landroche, director of the city's department of public information, said the judge's ruling agreed the city had the right to establish rules for maintaining order.

"[She] did agree with the city we have an interest in controlling the crowds," Landroche told WND. She said the city's rules are "content-neutral," but she could not provide information about any other group impacted by the change.

But she said the city decided the public sidewalks are "part of the festival grounds."
- OP

Old 06-20-2009, 03:05 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
The moment one group is prevented from using a public area to use their first amendment rights is the moment free speech will be siphoned off into "free speech" zones and then ultimately discarded.

If I wanted religion I would go to a church. Not to the groups church in California, but one a bit more local....but if the restriction had applied only to the Christian group, that would be a pretty clear First Amendment violation, but ALL outside groups that sought to hand out literature were given booths in a specific area in which to do so, that would be a viewpoint-neutral “time, place and manner” restriction that would be constitutional.

Last edited by plannine; 06-20-2009 at 03:16 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 03:08 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
I think that it would be in extremely poor taste for people to go about proselytizing for their religion at another religion's cultural event. However, I also find that people who would go about proselytizing at another religion's cultural event have blinders on when it comes to their own gaucheness.

On the other hand, if it's held at a public place, then the proselytizers do have a legal right to be there. I just don't think they're doing themselves any favors by exercising that right.

I mean, really. How tolerant do you think these groups would be if the Muslims showed up at an Easter egg hunt and passed out Muslim religious tracts?

As far as restricting them to a specific area, well... It's done all the time. How many war protesters were allowed to mingle with the crowds when there were Presidential campaign speeches going on? They weren't. They were restricted to certain areas.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:01 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I really hate it when one group decided to "practice their legal right to free speech" in an area SOLELY because another group they disagree with is doing something there already. It turns everything into a battle. And as a citizen and member of the public I don't want MY PUBLIC PLACES to be battlegrounds. There is nothing respectful about it and it causes divisivness. I'll all for free speech but if it were up to be there would be exceptions, and this is one of them. To me it's almost like legal harassment and I'd put a stop to it to keep the peace.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'll all for free speech but if it were up to be there would be exceptions, and this is one of them. To me it's almost like legal harassment and I'd put a stop to it to keep the peace.
My G**! This is America!

Please note I do not support these proseletyzers philosophically, but they have a right to their free speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies