Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:47 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,416,447 times

Advertisements

A federal judge has upheld a decision by festival organizers in Dearborn, Mich., which is about 30 percent Muslim, to ban a Christian ministry from handing out religious information on public sidewalks.

The case is being brought on behalf of the Arabic Christian Perspective, a Christian group that ministers to Muslims. According to the Thomas More Law Center, Pastor George Saieg and scores of his volunteers have visited Dearborn for the city's Arab International Festival to hand out religious information several times.

"It's ironic that while Americans are applauding the free speech exercised by hundreds of thousands of Muslims on the streets of Iran, the city of Dearborn is restricting free speech rights Christians are attempting to exercise on the city's public sidewalks," said Richard Thompson, president of the Thomas More Law Center.

City corrals Christians at weekend Arab fest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 09:54 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,762,991 times
Interesting.
A judge recently ruled a Christian group could hand out leaflets and whatnot at a gay parade...I don't see the difference here.
I think they should be allowed to pass out the pamphlets and the people they are handing them out to have every right to ignore them, tear up the paper, recycle the paper as soon as they get it...whatever.
Let's just hope these Christians are open to people of different viewpoints coming in to their church on Sunday morning to hand them some information.

Old 06-20-2009, 09:59 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,618,597 times
I don't agree with them, but they have every right (misguided or not) to hand out their religious information.
To deny them (the christians) their rights is a danger to all of us. A judge ruling against the personal freedoms guaranteed us by the constitution is horrifying and this should never be tolerated.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:04 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,082,097 times
It doesn't seem like this judge's decision would hold up in a higher court. Even if you're not a Christian, this suppression of free speech should be disturbing.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:17 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,336,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
A federal judge has upheld a decision by festival organizers in Dearborn, Mich., which is about 30 percent Muslim, to ban a Christian ministry from handing out religious information on public sidewalks.

Dearborn is 30% Arabic, not 30% Muslim. Muslim's are about 12%.

I go to the festivle for the food and music, and I find it funny that nobody there is pushing the muslim faith on you, but christian's decide that this is the place to shovle their dribble at you.

There are plenty of other corners to enjoy your free speech. Not the time, and not the place. (I'd say the same about any religious or political group at the event)

Old 06-20-2009, 10:24 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,336,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It doesn't seem like this judge's decision would hold up in a higher court. Even if you're not a Christian, this suppression of free speech should be disturbing.

They've got the rest of the city, and they rest of the state, to enjoy their free speech. Nobody is suppressing them. Go one block down, and hand out your bs.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:35 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,416,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Dearborn is 30% Arabic, not 30% Muslim. Muslim's are about 12%.

I go to the festivle for the food and music, and I find it funny that nobody there is pushing the muslim faith on you, but christian's decide that this is the place to shovle their dribble at you.

There are plenty of other corners to enjoy your free speech. Not the time, and not the place. (I'd say the same about any religious or political group at the event)
IMPACT OF IMMIGRATION ON MENTAL HEALTH IN MUSLIM POPULATION OF MICHIGAN

Located just outside of Detroit, Michigan, Dearborn is known for its Arabic population and culture. Immigrants from the Middle East settled in Dearborn when the Ford Motor Company began hiring Muslims in the 1930s. Today, nearly 100,000 Muslims live within the city. Several communities on Dearbornís south and east sides are more than 90% Islamic.

When Philip first heard about the Muslim community in Dearborn, his heart was stirred. He called more than a dozen churches in Dearborn and asked if they were actively reaching out to these Muslims. Only one said yes.

Total Population 97,775
City Area 24.4 miles

Muslim Population 30,000

500,000 Muslims live in the entire Detroit Metro Area.
Population (By Ancestory):
Arab 30.0%
German 13.7%
Polish 11.8%
Irish 9.4%
English 6.7%
Italian 6.4%

AIMS: News (http://www.aims.org/news/archives/2004/1004-dearborn.html - broken link)

Old 06-20-2009, 10:44 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
The first article is about psychiatry and recognizing depression in Muslims in Michigan. I'm not sure what it has to do with Christianity.

That second article talks about efforts to "convert" Muslims.

"It has opened my eyes that there are other beliefs out there," said "Sara" (14) who attends Bethel Christian Fellowship in Virginia Beach. "I have more of a burden for the Muslim people and for every person I come in contact with that doesnít know Jesus."

That said, I don't agree with the judge. I think the ACLU would agree with the Christians in this case.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:50 AM

46,891 posts, read 25,860,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That second article talks about efforts to "convert" Muslims.

"It has opened my eyes that there are other beliefs out there," said "Sara" (14) who attends Bethel Christian Fellowship in Virginia Beach. "I have more of a burden for the Muslim people and for every person I come in contact with that doesnít know Jesus."
Sounds like the young Christians are the ones getting educated here.

Sure, they should have the right. It's seriously poor manners, but they have the right. I hope someone makes a tract with Ms. Manners' treatise on unsolicited advice to hand back, though.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:50 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,927,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post

The case is being brought on behalf of the Arabic Christian Perspective, a Christian group that ministers to Muslims. According to the Thomas More Law Center, Pastor George Saieg and scores of his volunteers have visited Dearborn for the city's Arab International Festival to hand out religious information several times.

"It's ironic that while Americans are applauding the free speech exercised by hundreds of thousands of Muslims on the streets of Iran, the city of Dearborn is restricting free speech rights Christians are attempting to exercise on the city's public sidewalks," said Richard Thompson, president of the Thomas More Law Center.

I think there is more to this story. This would be a constitutional problem if the facts are consistant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies