Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 08:16 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
But you know what? Millions of us dads have been doing just that for years. And we didn't have to read a book or have a President elected to do so.
And millions of Dad's haven't.

Good for Obama...getting to the heart of the matter of a lot of problems.....

On the other hand ...MANY, MANY, superb people have been raised soley by women....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 08:17 AM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Well...

besides George W. Bush's Presidential Proclamations for Father's Day 2001-2008...

....maybe previous presidents didnt care enough to speak up about the fatherhood crisis in American families that arent white and middle class.
A Proclamation isn't being lectured at.
Did President Obama specifically mention that his speech was to be addressed only to non whites and lower class citizens? I may have missed it, but I didn't hear that reflected in any news organization's coverage.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:23 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
A Proclamation isn't being lectured at.
Did President Obama specifically mention that his speech was to be addressed only to non whites and lower class citizens? I may have missed it, but I didn't hear that reflected in any news organization's coverage.
Did previous presidents ever address this problem, which has been growing for about 30 years or so? When would be a better time to address it than Father's Day?

Id rather have a president who speaks up on issues of crucial national importance than one who just recites safe, standard platitudes and pretends the problem doesnt exist.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:25 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Wow....and Obama is SUCH a good role model for other dads. Off the top of my head, here are some things I assume Obama is teaching his children:

- Rely on government for all your needs instead of being proactively independent.
- Lie all the time
- Throw around catchy words like "unity", "change", "hope", etc. Words that mean nothing and words that you do not have to back up.
- Teach your children there are 57 states.
- Teach your children it is OK to have a gay fling in the back of limo while doing blow, then cover up that it never happened.
- Teach you children it is OK to refer to another race and their characteristics as "typical" as in his "typical white person" remark. Typical black person. Typical Asian person. Typical Indian person. Typical Jewish person.
- Teach your children it is OK to sit in a church and listen to a preacher spew hate and scream "Gawd Damn Amercia".
- Teach your children to rely on a teleprompter at every turn for their words, instead of speaking from the heart.
- Teach your children that they will forever be in the debt of government thanks to outrageous spending.

On yeah, I'd say Obama is just the kind of model dad we all need (sarcasm).
Release your anger. Let go of Rev. Wright and of the 57 state misstatement that happened years ago (unless you would like us to bring back Bush's eloquence?).

We should definitely be concerned about debt, but all of these accusations are false and hyperbolically rooted in a partisan dogma, failing to understand the unique circumstances in which we find ourselves at this particular moment (due to previous failures in the public and private sector).

God bless.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:27 AM

639 posts, read 1,142,772 times
Let's separate the two. I think Obama has been a horrible President in the 6 months since he has taken over. He is taking us down the road to doom in my honest opinion. I don't care for the man, his assocations, or where he has come from. That being said, I think we are being a little petty here. His message, agree or disagree, is a good one in this instance. There are far too many people fathering children out there who are not "DADS" and believe me there is a big difference. I fathered my children but do my best to be a great "DAD". I refuse to jump on the "Bash" Obama bandwagon at every turn. When he says or does something I agree with, and that is not very often, I will stand up and agree with him.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:30 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Quote:
Did previous presidents ever address this problem, which has been growing for about 30 years or so? When would be a better time to address it than Father's Day?

Id rather have a president who speaks up on issues of crucial national importance than one who just recites safe, standard platitudes and pretends the problem doesnt exist.
So then I assume you want Obama to speak up about sexism which has been a continuing problem for 30 years? So, shouldn't Obama have denounced the Letterman joke about Palins daughter? Shouldn't Obama have appologized for calling a female reporter sweetie? You do want Obama to speak up on issues afterall. Right?

Old 06-21-2009, 08:43 AM

486 posts, read 984,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Never saw a red one. Brown, drunk, but not red.
I'm not Native American, but your statement IS very insulting!
They were called Red Men it's just the way they were called.
You don't need to turn around and call them drunks. Only shows ignorance on your part, oh well.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:58 AM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:

No one else could say anything about the problems endemic with the black community, which has a higher percentage of out of wedlock births. They'd be considered racists for even bringing the subject up. Heck, even Bill Cosby was considered an Uncle Tom for asking his community to accept more personal responsibility.

Maybe rather than just give a lecture, policy could be changed to help keep families intact. Give MORE help for those who marry, instead of making welfare the cause for men being seen as nothing but sperm donors. Aggressively sue dead beat dads for payment of child support.

He's not a social worker/community organizer anymore. Talking is wonderful, but I doubt his words, no matter how eloquently spoken, will all of a sudden change peoples' behavior. Laws change behavior.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:01 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
We? What "we" might you be referring to?
We, The Americans....Just a guess....

Old 06-21-2009, 10:06 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
We? What "we" might you be referring to?
Once again, you prove to be unintelligent to the point of being ridiculous. You have no clue what is going on around you. You need to take up golf and forget politics. I don't know if you know how to play golf, but you sure don't know anything about politics, and you continue to embarrass yourself by the statements you make.
Now, to answer your question, slowly, so you can keep up....
You wanted to know who Obama is president of, and who "we" are. Well, BO, unfortunately, due to many ignorant people, happens to be the president of the United States of America.
Therefore, most people would logically conclude that "We" would be the citizens of the US..! I hope that explains it in terms you understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies