Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 11:16 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,318,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
]

Cut $622 billion in spending, by reducing Medicare and Medicaid payments to hospitals, insurers, drug companies and home health agencies and by eliminating subsidies for insurers that offer the elderly private plans through Medicare. The government pays about 14 percent more for the private plans than it pays for traditional Medicare.

how is that helpful to seniors?
Eliminating subsidies for insurers that offer the elderly private plans sounds like a great idea to me, especially since they cost the govt. more than traditional Medicare. Medicaid is not for the elderly, except in a few circumstances. Reducing payments to drug companies is a fine idea that it's high time to implement. Maybe they'd lower their prices.

None of what you said supports your statement that seniors will have to "move on", implying they will not get any care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 04:05 AM

23,155 posts, read 26,079,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Eliminating subsidies for insurers that offer the elderly private plans sounds like a great idea to me, especially since they cost the govt. more than traditional Medicare. Medicaid is not for the elderly, except in a few circumstances. Reducing payments to drug companies is a fine idea that it's high time to implement. Maybe they'd lower their prices.

None of what you said supports your statement that seniors will have to "move on", implying they will not get any care.
Or maybe our supplemental plans will now cost more.
Or maybe the already horrible Part D will now cover even less.
As for cutting reimbursements,maybe that would mean even fewer doctors will accept patients with Medicare.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:29 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,866,856 times
i urge everyone to read ron paul's articles on health care. he has been trying to get health care reform for a long time and has a good article on why more government intervention in health care is a bad idea.
Ron Paul, When Government Plays Doctor | Ron Paul Library

here is the library with many of his health care articles. he addressed the problem before the bureaucrats did.
http://www.ronpaullibrary.org/topic.php?id=22

Old 06-21-2009, 06:59 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,695,651 times
Quote:
Where do you get this information? Can you provide a link that says that people over a certain age won't get treatment?
Obama has had several of his minions talking on the tube about "end of life" and how perhaps, we should not be spending so much money on those who are older. Sounds like a reduction in benifits to me. You simply can't support a population the size of ours and continue to allow illegal imigration to go unchecked and rewarded and expect that there will be enough funds to support any kind of quality. Most of the wealth in this country just went up in smoke if you have not noticed. Are you going to pay for it?

Old 06-21-2009, 07:11 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,195,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
You only pay $1800 a year?????????? We pay $1200 a month plus $100 taken out of my husbands SS for medicare every month. I'd like some of your insurance!
And I'd like your husbands job to able to afford all of that...

Old 06-21-2009, 08:57 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,201,502 times
Quote:
Reducing payments to drug companies is a fine idea that it's high time to implement. Maybe they'd lower their prices.
Big business (pharma) doesn't work like that. You think by lowering the payment to drug companies that the drug companies would just lower prices ? No..we will end up paying the difference.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:13 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,822,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
I don't want UHC either because I'm planning to be old someday!
Unless you plan to have a properly funded UHC or NEVER contract a serious illness, you will probably NOT reach old age in America. ...Well maybe..... if you pay absolutely outrageous premiums and co pays to the Insurance Companies and are lucky NOT to have a pre existing condition before you beg the Insurance company to take you. Then you MIGHT reach old age in America.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,490,412 times
The Democrats obviously aren't going to care anything about people who may not be around in the next election to vote for them.

When you turn over your health care to politicians, you can depend on the fact that they do everything with votes in mind.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,490,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Screw fairness. If I have the money for the best health care and health insurance and you don't then too bad for you. Get a better job. Earn more money. Reprioritize your spending. Life is not fair and we are not all equal. Some people lose in life and others win.
I have health care insurance also - but I pretty much do my own health care. People tend to forget that most health care is what you do, how you live, what you eat, how much exercise you get.

Do I want to pay for the free health care of so many others -- the junk food eaters who fill up on doughnuts? the people who lay around all day filling their faces and using the remote? the illegals coming here to have their babies so they can access the welfare systems? Smokers, drug addicts, alcoholics -- if I don't make those same choices -- should I have to work and give up all my income so they can try to have some doctor fix what they destroyed their entire lives?

The only care I can see is for catastrophic conditions, research money for cancer cures, and in transplant, treatment of rare conditions.

Prenatal care is certainly affordable if you can afford to raise a child in the first place. There's something wrong when you see the young Medicaid recipients sitting around a physician's office waiting room, texting away on their latest camera-cell phone or arriving in a late model expensive car.

Old 06-21-2009, 09:57 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,397,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I didn't check your link yet but as regards cuts in Medicare, heard this morning that Congress just passed a bill that caps the amount Medicare will pay each month for people who need oxygen at home.

People who can't afford their prescription drugs often try to stretch them by taking them every other day instead of daily. Maybe the folks who need O2 can try breathing every other day.

Anybody who thinks healthcare isn't going to be monitored and rationed when under government control is naive. It's enough that Medicare and Medicaid is under their control. Let's not put everything in the same hands!
This just goes hand n hand with,........... I believe it was Reid that said The old should just die gracefully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies