Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 10:46 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Simple. Our Constitution does not allow the government to be involved with any such scheme.
Bull. Complete and utter.

We just took over almost the entire automotive industry, for one thing. It can be done. Second, we already have a VA system in place. It would take time and investment, but that could be duplicated.

No Constitutional Amendment is needed at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 10:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Bull. Complete and utter.

We just took over almost the entire automotive industry, for one thing. It can be done. Second, we already have a VA system in place. It would take time and investment, but that could be duplicated.

No Constitutional Amendment is needed at all.
Depending upon the system that is adopted (as previously noted), you are incorrect.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:49 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,429 times
Quote:
Depending upon the system that is adopted (as previously noted), you are incorrect.
Of course. If you propose a system that removes the right of free speech, then it would take a Constitutional Amendment.

The point is that there is no reason for any Constitutional issue under any realistic proposal that's being considered right now, even if you include a full single-payer system (which is not being discussed) or a UHC system (which is even farther off the radar screen).

So your concern is not realistic in the least.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:01 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,617,185 times
UHC DOES work!!!

All those who fight against it do so largely because they think they will have to pay more or will get worse care than they have today - neither of which is necessarily true.

And they follow the montra of the Limbaugh's and Hannity's of the world that this is 'socialized medicine' - as if that in and of itself is bad...

They prey on people's fears...

For those interested in an objective assessment of the situation - make some time to view the Frontline series on UHC and health care systems around the world. It will give you a very good impression of where it has succeeded... Japan, Germany, Taiwan... They even talk about the UK - which the Hannity/Limbaugh crowd like to slam without any proof...

Not all the systems are UHC - Japan for example - uses private insurance - everyone must be covered - and the government helps the poor afford it. They pay less than half what we do, have much more access to care, have no gate-keepers, and pay only 8% of GDP on health care - and their statistics on longevity, child mortality... blow us away...

news + public affairs player: video

Last edited by HubbleRules; 06-30-2009 at 06:12 AM..

Old 06-30-2009, 06:53 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubbleRules View Post
UHC DOES work!!!

All those who fight against it do so largely because they think they will have to pay more or will get worse care than they have today - neither of which is necessarily true.

And they follow the montra of the Limbaugh's and Hannity's of the world that this is 'socialized medicine' - as if that in and of itself is bad...

They prey on people's fears...

For those interested in an objective assessment of the situation - make some time to view the Frontline series on UHC and health care systems around the world. It will give you a very good impression of where it has succeeded... Japan, Germany, Taiwan... They even talk about the UK - which the Hannity/Limbaugh crowd like to slam without any proof...

Not all the systems are UHC - Japan for example - uses private insurance - everyone must be covered - and the government helps the poor afford it. They pay less than half what we do, have much more access to care, have no gate-keepers, and pay only 8% of GDP on health care - and their statistics on longevity, child mortality... blow us away...

news + public affairs player: video
You are soooooooooo right.
The only people on here who do NOT want a UHC are the sanctimonious "Citizens" who already have health cover and can afford it. They are scared stiff that they will lose their Elitist position of having health cover. It is now becoming some kind of status symbol in America to have good health cover....that in itself is Disgusting. We can see from the various celebrities who are now dying because of problems caused by drug related deaths how easy it is in America to get pain killers etc from a Doctor as long as you have the cash to pay him big time. Money dictates your health care in America NOT your illness.
NO UHC has ever been created in ANY Country without a HUGE input of Cash. Pity the money spent abroad or for the Space race wasn't invested in the Health of every single American Citizen.
The UHC in the UK works extremely well. NO ONE is without top class health care.....NO ONE.
Is America incapable of creating as good a health care system as in Canada or the UK, Australia or even Iraq.We are paying for the building of the Iraq UHC with new Hospitals etc with our Tax but refuse to give Americans a Health Care System that is comparable to even them.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I was in Italy for a 3-month stay (Lucca). While there, a mole on my thigh started to look weird - and I have a history with serious skin cancer. I went to the hospital there to have it looked at. They didn't speak English, and my Italian was worse, but they managed to imply that I needed minor surgery. I went back for in-patient surgery. They charged me something like 5000 Lira - the price of the stitches as I recall. Later, after the biopsy, they called me and let me know the results were negative.

And I was a tourist in their country, for christ sake.

UHC works.
Yes it works and it is great to see someone on here who has actual experience of a UHC.
One of the anti UHC posters on here who is against a UHC in America related his UHC story and the only thing he could find to say that he disliked was that he didn't know his Doctor well. He then admitted that he only spent a few weeks at a time in the UHC Country. If that is his only quibble against a UHC and he is Anti..... We should ALL be rushing to sign up for a UHC in America.
My Step- Daughter came over to visit me in the UK. She had a strep throat. Because she was my stepdaughter and staying with me she saw my Doctor, got her medicines and had a folow up with the Doctor to make sure she was OK before returning to the USA. This cost her...NOTHING.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:18 AM

221 posts, read 219,263 times
Quote:
I dislike it when he post "things" as facts - when they are not. He posts as if he knows how a UHC would / will work in the US when to do so is a gross misreprentation - inasmuch as there is no UHC in the US to start with and no legislation to create one has been introduced. Therefore, he cannot post factual information (as it would be in the US)

Simple. Our Constitution does not allow the government to be involved with any such scheme.

Now, if you have read my posts on the topic, you would have seen where, on a number of occassions, I have suggested that a Constitutional Amendment be put forth, to the States, for ratification - that if ratified, would allow for our Government to be involved, and I would be happy to follow the then ratified Constitution.
Once again Gday you are wrong.
geeoro has put links on here to back up his arguments. he knows exactly how a uhc works and uses absolute facts that he has experienced and not what might or might not happen as in your posts. When you say there is no uhc in America you are wrong. medicare is a uhc but for certain groups of people paid by tax. geeoro lives in America so now knows how the American system works. How long did you live in the uk Gday to be able to comment on the uhc there?
I am American and i am also sure that a uhc could be started here and there is no reason why it should be any less successful than the uhc in the UK, Australia, Canada, Europe and many more countrys.
Is it because you are frightened of everyone having health care Gday in case you have to wait a few hours to get in to the doc. which we do now anyway. There is no reason on earth that a uhc would not work in the USA, except the fabricated ones that people like yo put on here. Give us facts to back up your argument Gday, facts not your thoghts on the subject.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:36 AM

Could you imagine if the Founding Fathers and the Settlers who came to America had the same lack of backbone as some posters on here. They would still be sitting in a huddle talking about how they couldn't afford to build America or how it couldn't work on such a vast continent.
If they are looking down on America now they would be ashamed that America can't even get a health care system that is for the welfare of every American Citizen and legal resident. How some are even trying to use the Constitution against the American People. The Founding Fathers did not have the medical breakthroughs that we have today but if they did they certainly would have made sure that it was for everyone not a luxury item as it is in America today.
They must be turning in their graves watching the Wealthy in America now cover their own backs at the expense of the normal everyday hard working Americans.

Last edited by geeoro; 06-30-2009 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: Constitution

Old 06-30-2009, 07:56 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,845,032 times
Canada is creating private healthcare clinics because their gov healthcare is so great

Old 06-30-2009, 08:32 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
What GD is right about is that geeoro CANNOT predict what our government will come up with for a plan.He keeps making statements that are 'will be's and 'won't be's as if it's all definite.

All geeoro should be telling us is how it is in the UK, not how it will be here, since that has never even been proposed.
Who knows , if the USA goes with UHC it could be better than the UK....or it could be worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies