Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 08:02 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
There are deadbeats in every Country but that should NOT be a reason for not giving great Healthcare to ALL good Americans. So you are letting Deadbeats dictate how you run your health service because YOU are paying for these Deadbeats right now. The Deadbeats are the ones who go into a Emergency room get treatment or even get funded for treatment and YOU pay for them anyway. Not having a properly funded UHC means that it isn't just Illegals and Deadbeats that you are paying for as you are now.
By the way there is NO CO-PAY on the NHS.
I guess I'll never get an honest answer out of you about the cost of UHC, so I give up...

Added:

If you could answer those questions maybe we would come around faster to having UHC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 08:03 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,844,138 times
One of the things that ALWAYS amazes me when we talk about the Health Service in America is this..................
You all love your Family. You all want to get your family nice things with your hard earned cash. YET....................
You INSIST on paying unnecessary high premiums to Insurance Companies so that YOUR money will buy the Directors and CEO's of those Companies, families the nice things you could get your family and loved ones with YOUR cash that THEY now have.

Last edited by geeoro; 06-21-2009 at 08:57 AM..

Old 06-21-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I guess I'll never get an honest answer out of you about the cost of UHC, so I give up...
You are kidding right?
I CANNOT give you exact figures on a system that has NOT been worked out yet. I can only give you examples of what is paid into a similar scheme. You must also realise that the UK scheme is more expensive than you would pay in America as it covers far more Benefits than just healthcare. Now if you think that is being dishonest then i really think you are just being awkward for the sake of arguing. ALL the facts you need have been given to you. I CANNOT give you a exact breakdown of cost as the figures are not available but i can tell you by experience and looking at other UHC's it will be far less than you pay now.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:09 AM

ANYONE here had a personal bad experience using a UHC that stops you wanting a UHC in America?

Old 06-21-2009, 08:12 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,147,374 times
Quote:
I put down £180 per week a a example..the figure is up to £110 per week is tax free. This is in pounds not Dollars. In Dollars its about $180 that you can earn up to without paying ANY tax for health.
Remember that this tax p[aid in the UK is not JUST for health it is for ALL of the welfare benefits...Pensions, Unemployment, Sickness benefit and so on and so on.
OK, but still, Britain is expecting more tax contributions from their people than we are in the US. For example, Obama's plan was calling for subidizing families making up to $88,000 per year for their health care. Can we really do that, or is it just a pipe dream to get votes? Using Britain's examples, it appears that we wouldn't be able to subsidize people making that much money.

This is part of the reason why some people haven't jumped aboard the plan for health care reform: numbers that don't add up. It might be beneficial for your family, but crunching the numbers you realize that the cost is not sustainable for the nation using the current formulas.
This further breeds distrust in the administration as you've been lied to for political gain. Your next logical question is what happens when reality sets in and we are woefully underfunded?

Old 06-21-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
OK, but still, Britain is expecting more tax contributions from their people than we are in the US. For example, Obama's plan was calling for subidizing families making up to $88,000 per year for their health care. Can we really do that, or is it just a pipe dream to get votes? Using Britain's examples, it appears that we wouldn't be able to subsidize people making that much money.

This is part of the reason why some people haven't jumped aboard the plan for health care reform: numbers that don't add up. It might be beneficial for your family, but crunching the numbers you realize that the cost is not sustainable for the nation using the current formulas.
This further breeds distrust in the administration as you've been lied to for political gain. Your next logical question is what happens when reality sets in and we are woefully underfunded?
Your Govt healthcare plans ..medicaid/care, vet programmes are woefully underfunded now.
$88,000 is a figure that is at the moment a projection. As i have said. The UHC in America will NOT need the funding that is paid in the UK in tax for the UHC as in the UK the tax also pays many many other benefits...so yes $88,000 could be achievable. Why do you think it will be woefully underfunded? You have a experience of this? That is what this thread is about...Real experiences...NOT projections or possible outcomes. Have YOU had any real experience of using or paying for a UHC?

Old 06-21-2009, 08:35 AM

NO ONE with real experiences of a UHC? NO ONE with that bad experience in using or paying for a UHC that would stop them wanting or using a UHC in here?

Old 06-21-2009, 08:40 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,182,686 times
Why would the programs we already have that are government run underfunded?
Why are these already running into trouble?
Whys is Obama now proposing benefit cuts rather than improvements?
Why would we not expect the same and/or worse with universal coverage?

What you keep doing is like someone in a happy marriage promoting it as a wonderful thing to someone with abusive fiance.
It's rather difficult to believe one would be like the other

Old 06-21-2009, 08:46 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,147,374 times
Quote:
Your Govt healthcare plans ..medicaid/care, vet programmes are woefully underfunded now.
$88,000 is a figure that is at the moment a projection. As i have said. The UHC in America will NOT need the funding that is paid in the UK in tax for the UHC as in the UK the tax also pays many many other benefits...so yes $88,000 could be achievable. Why do you think it will be woefully underfunded? You have a experience of this? That is what this thread is about...Real experiences...NOT projections or possible outcomes. Have YOU had any real experience of using or paying for a UHC?
Since I have lived in the US my life, no I don't have any experience with UHC.
Why do I think it will be underfunded? Because premiums are directly related to the cost of procedures performed. Add more people to the mix and costs will rise. Every health care system in the world is having problems right now, even UHC, due to decreased tax revenues from high unemployment.

According to this link a relatively small percentage of households earned more than $88,000 annually. Do you think a system paid for by less than 20% of the population is possible? Looks like Britain has a more equitable system than the one proposed here, making it more financially sustainable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Househo..._United_States

Sorry if you feel this post was hijacked. I was hoping with your experience with Britain's system you could share info on the costs on maintaining the system and extrapolate the costs of our proposed system....something our adminstration has not been upfront about.

Last edited by NSHL10; 06-21-2009 at 09:02 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times
Quote:
You are kidding right?
I CANNOT give you exact figures on a system that has NOT been worked out yet. I can only give you examples of what is paid into a similar scheme. You must also realise that the UK scheme is more expensive than you would pay in America as it covers far more Benefits than just healthcare. Now if you think that is being dishonest then i really think you are just being awkward for the sake of arguing. ALL the facts you need have been given to you. I CANNOT give you a exact breakdown of cost as the figures are not available but i can tell you by experience and looking at other UHC's it will be far less than you pay now.
"I CANNOT give you exact figures on a system that has NOT been worked out yet."

My question was about the system YOU KNOW ABOUT, not an unknown system...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies