Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 10:17 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,374,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Baloney. The current US system throws some 25% of health care dollars not at care, but at administrative costs. It is the most inefficient system in the developed world.
BBC NEWS | Health | Why are there mounting NHS debts?

Is this baloney? And this may get worse once much of Europe's demographics start to change with their retiring baby boomers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Having read the article, not me.
What problems do you see with that approach?

Old 06-21-2009, 10:48 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,491,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Is this baloney? And this may get worse once much of Europe's demographics start to change with their retiring baby boomers.
Even if not, it would be baloney to think of the matter as relevant to the US's need to get off the self-destructive path it is currently on. Argument from the outliers is all you folks come up with. The exceptions do not necessarily invalidate the rule. Here is the rule: The US has the most inefficient health care system in the developed world. We can no longer afford it.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Here is the rule: The US has the most inefficient health care system in the developed world. We can no longer afford it.
I have no problem with people acknowledging America's healthcare shortcomings. I'am just seeing the solutions that people like John Stossel promotes as being more realistic as far as dealing with those shortcomings.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
If only more people would stop going to their doctor to protest their opposition to a single payer health care system.
Of course those with chronic illnesses and such...I wouldn't advocate it.
If I knew my doctor was in opposition to a single payer system, I'd gladly find a new one.

With this recession and people losing their jobs [and health insurance] doctors should already be on edge. Plus many Americans have said they put off going to the doctor for financial reasons. Sad, sad...sad.
I think such a protest would be about as effective as not buying gas for your car. Everyone needs it, everyone at some time needs health care.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:13 AM

7,957 posts, read 9,171,188 times
Quote:
Even if not, it would be baloney to think of the matter as relevant to the US's need to get off the self-destructive path it is currently on. Argument from the outliers is all you folks come up with. The exceptions do not necessarily invalidate the rule. Here is the rule: The US has the most inefficient health care system in the developed world. We can no longer afford it.
How can you say that ageing of boomers is not relevant to the US? President Obama himself has repeatedly referred to increasing burden of Medicare on the nation's economy.

It appears that no matter which road a nation takes to provide healthcare, private or universal, the common denominator is that ageing beneficiaries, more expensive treatments, and the poor global economy are putting financial stress on all of the systems.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:58 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
I think we could pay for a UHC by eliminating the private insurance system with its bloated profits and executive compensation and, because a UHC would result in treating many more people, we could transfer about half the bloated defense budget to support a UHC system. The money is there but is being heavily guarded by the current beneficiaries. We are paying for things we do not need.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:04 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I don't know about the uninsured being THE problem.
Doctors are also part of the problem too. The way we compensate doctors is a problem.

I have insurance and I'd love to have a single payer system. I think the American people should be given a public OPTION. I don't think it should be mandatory but if we choose to be in it, it will come out of our paychecks and not everyone else's. Just like the money for the health insurance you receive from your employer comes out your paycheck.

The way things are shaping up, it looks the insurance companies will continue to come out on top.
The problem is the way most people now think. They want the "rich" to be taxed to death and provide them completely free health care. They don't want to have insurance premiums because they'd like to use that money for more video games and nice vacation, concert tickets and so on, and they don't want co-pays, they don't like having deductibles.

What people want is a system where someone else pays for their health care. That's the problem.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The problem is the way most people now think. They want the "rich" to be taxed to death and provide them completely free health care. They don't want to have insurance premiums because they'd like to use that money for more video games and nice vacation, concert tickets and so on, and they don't want co-pays, they don't like having deductibles.

What people want is a system where someone else pays for their health care. That's the problem.
I disagree. I think everyone knows by now, if they didn't know before, that health care costs no matter how it is funded. I don't like putting all the blame for the health care mess on the patients, and making fun of them.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I disagree. I think everyone knows by now, if they didn't know before, that health care costs no matter how it is funded. I don't like putting all the blame for the health care mess on the patients, and making fun of them.
Has your side really made it clear to the people you're trying to persuade that the government will be taking some of their money?

All I ever hear is that by eliminating private insurance, your side believes there will be more than enough money to provide free health care to all, no one has to give up their iPhone and unlimited text messaging services, no one has to choose between a Britney Spears concert and going to a doctor.

What if shutting down the private insurance companies doesn't bring in enough? Where do you expect to find the money to fund all this free health care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies