Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
1 or more of the 3 18 21.95%
NONE of the 3 64 78.05%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:15 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times

Advertisements

synthetics would be my choice. they seem to make great sleeping bags for camping in extreme weather without the need of fur. I have a hard time in any weather that drops below 70 degrees lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 02:22 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
synthetics would be my choice. they seem to make great sleeping bags for camping in extreme weather without the need of fur. I have a hard time in any weather that drops below 70 degrees lol
They do indeed make sleeping bags that can handle extreme cold, I own a couple. Their polar fleece lining makes them quite toasty. But I do not want to wear a sleeping bag while I'm out hiking or hunting. It makes it difficult to aim accurately. Not even synthetics shed moisture like wool, and qiviut is the best of all the wool.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:31 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
They do indeed make sleeping bags that can handle extreme cold, I own a couple. Their polar fleece lining makes them quite toasty. But I do not want to wear a sleeping bag while I'm out hiking or hunting. It makes it difficult to aim accurately. Not even synthetics shed moisture like wool, and qiviut is the best of all the wool.

again I am not unrealistic I do understand the need for better function based on need rather than fashion. big diff between the chick walking her fur pelt around the streets and a hunter in the wilds of alaska!

what is "polar fleece" I can't imagine a polar bear would let you get close. I would hope too that the wool is sheard as that grows back and would be renewable source.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:32 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Again, PETA aside. . .Do you have any idea how inhumane and downright cruel the fur practice is? Do you or your wife know how these animals are kept? How they go insane? How they are killed through anal electrocution? It's a diabolical industry. A lot of fur in the U.S. is imported from Asia--where the animals are treated even more cruelly (impossibly enough) and are often skinned alive. So who are the real "terrorists"? These are the facts--politics aside. Are you and your wife really the kind of people who simply don't care?
Some of us that wear fur, are people who kill our own animals for food, and the furs are an additional benefit to the meat.

I have deer fur, rabbit fur, coyote fur, elk fur, fox fur, beaver fur, and bear fur; and have made quite a few nice winter wear pieces for me and my family.

As far as 'traditional furs' (ex, mink) go, if I want one, I buy vintage, or not at all.

I know how SOME farms skin their animals; but I know others that do not do that; if I were to buy furs, it would be from a friendlier place.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:33 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
doesn't have to be a baby...pit bulls have attacked their owners or random people.

So have many, many other breeds of dogs... why single out a particular breed, especially one that isn't recognized in the US by the AKC?

Old 06-22-2009, 02:36 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
among other things would be not to wear or buy fur,
My wife just reminded me of a trip we took to Russia a few years ago - during, of all things, the winter. Boy was it cold! We were prepared with our coats (hers one of her mink long coats - me with that mink lined / collared bomber jackets). BUT, we were NOT PREPARED for the bitter cold and our heads! The very nice person acting as our guide asked if we wanted to look for some hats that would be appropriate - of course we said yes.

We both bought hats common to the region - made of - MINK (and there were other furs as well). My wife also bought the fur ear muffs.

Humans have been using animal hides / fur for personal warmth since the beginning of time.

We hunt (and in addition to the meat, we tan the hides) - and sometimes mount the head on the wall. We also fish.

Here in the desert Southwest, one of the more common things to do is to find and capture a Rattlesnake - kill it - skin it - and let the skin dry (cure) on a wooden plank for some time. The Skin in turn becomes a hat band, or, part of a belt. The meat of the snake becomes dinner - either deep fried or BBQ'd.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:38 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
how does PETA feel about a pit bull getting shot after it ripped off a head of a baby?
They want ALL APBT's extinct no matter how vicious or tame they are.

They are for total breed eradication of the American Pit Bull Terrier.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:22 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Human beings have been wearing animal skins for centuries. And, they will continue to do so.

And remember, it is not simply furs at issue with PETA - it anything to do with any animal product - including leather goods - in your car (seats for example), what you carry (briefcases as an example), what you wear (shoes as an example)

And PETA has NO RIGHT to destroy the property belonging to another - under the guise of "protesting".

You would agree with this, won't you?
Human beings wore animal skins because there were no other options. That is no longer the case. There is no defense for harming animals unnecessarily. And the way animals are killed for fur is nothing short of evil.

As a vegan and animal rights supporter, I am equally disturbed by the use of leather products. People mistakenly believe that leather is solely a by-product of the slaughter industry. It is not. Killing animals for their skins is a separate industry. We don't need leather. To kill living beings in order to use their skins--when there is no need to do so--is, in my opinion, morally obscene. (I am, of course, not referring to extant Native peoples who still subsist on traditional methods of clothing, etc., due to lack of access to alternatives.)

As for PETA: Yes, I would agree that this is PETA's position. But, as I said, I am neither a member nor supporter of PETA--which you would know if you had read my earlier posts on this thread.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:23 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
My wife just reminded me of a trip we took to Russia a few years ago - during, of all things, the winter. Boy was it cold! We were prepared with our coats (hers one of her mink long coats - me with that mink lined / collared bomber jackets). BUT, we were NOT PREPARED for the bitter cold and our heads! The very nice person acting as our guide asked if we wanted to look for some hats that would be appropriate - of course we said yes.

We both bought hats common to the region - made of - MINK (and there were other furs as well). My wife also bought the fur ear muffs.

Humans have been using animal hides / fur for personal warmth since the beginning of time.

We hunt (and in addition to the meat, we tan the hides) - and sometimes mount the head on the wall. We also fish.

Here in the desert Southwest, one of the more common things to do is to find and capture a Rattlesnake - kill it - skin it - and let the skin dry (cure) on a wooden plank for some time. The Skin in turn becomes a hat band, or, part of a belt. The meat of the snake becomes dinner - either deep fried or BBQ'd.
Why would someone in the Southwest need to have fur coats?

I lived in Chicago one winter when it reached 84 degrees below zero for several days running. I also lived in northern Vermont for three years. I got along fine without fur.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:30 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Why would someone in the Southwest need to have fur coats?
A) While our primary home is in the Southwest, we travel a lot - often to much colder regions of this country and other countries.

B) Regions of the Southwest get very cold during the winter. Snow in Las Vegas. Temps in the Teens in Phoenix. And Furs feel good. And while YOU "got along" good, does not mean everyone would do the same.

C) We like wearing furs. And like the example I gave - Moscow in the winter can be a little bitter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies