Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Canada sure is not buying prescription medication in the US!
No, but 20 million Illegal Aliens sure found a way to get free health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 08:40 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,744,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
If you don't have money you don't go to the doctor. Where have people been? The medical industry is for profit first and foremost. They don' care if you don't have money! They will smile and say sorry there is nothing we can do for you. Have a nice day. When we outsourced jobs to Asia we took away people's ability to take care to their basic needs. No government tax revenue means no social programs for the needy. It’s that simple
I disagree with you. I am at the hospital daily now watching my mom decline. She is 93. The doctors and nurses have been wonderful and watching some of these people, on their 4th shift straight, still smile at my mom and check in on her, well it is heartwarming. Perhaps there really is nothing they can do for you when they tell you that. Perhaps your complaint or illness will go away without much help, especially if you are without insurance and draining the funds available for those who need more intense care than you do. I see the er packed with people with simple head colds and sprains. socialized medicine will not make this any better. But seriously, I have never heard of an ER turn away someone who is in real trouble.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:48 AM

888 posts, read 1,591,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Hospitals dont get paid enough by the government and have to file bankruptcy and close?
Well, since a majority of our hospitals are government owned, they don't file for bankruptcy or close. Instead, they just raise taxes and continue to provide their lousy service with way too low staffing levels. Alot of our nurses move to other countries for higher pay and a much more reasonable workload.

Quote:
Doctors have their salaries cut and no longer see it worth 8+ years of school for a smaller salary?
Well, not exactly.. they have figured out how to get their money. Instead of hiring out straight to a public hospital, they rent themselves out for whichever hospital has a shortage of doctors and rip good money out of it. It works because there's a chronical shortage of doctors in almost every public shop.

Quote:
Seniors, cant find retirement homes to go to because the cuts wont pay for their stay?
Sure they will, the government arranges that part too and buys the service. The places where they end up might not be luxury (Fed once a day, the diapers emptied once a day, a shower every 2 weeks) but you'll live.

Quote:
When people from other country come here to receive medical treatement at the taxpayers dime?
Well.. that's practically very much the case atleast in here. You're welcome. We don't really even have a immigration policy, pretty much anything goes. If anyone dares to suggest we should tighten our immigration laws, he's automatically labeled to be a racist, a neo-nazi, redneck, what ever, and thing just go on.

Quote:
When hospitals dont have enough money to buy newer, better machines for better care and have to go without?
I can't really say. I think they're actually pretty much up to date atleast in here. All i know is we have a chronical shortage of workers in the healthcare sector and it's not getting better at all since so many are quitting or moving abroad. Not many want to work for they lousy pay, outrageous workload, and horrible job security.

Quote:
When the government decides that a procedure is worth $X and the hospitals say no, they cant afford to do it for that amount..
No.. they'll do it. You'll just have to be in line to the government hospitals for a few months to few years and hope you don't die.

A universal healthcare is actually just half the fun. With UHC might very well come extra taxes for fat people for being overweight, more taxes for automobile use, more taxes and bans for tobacco, alcohol, fast food, or anything that can be even remotely labeled unhealthy. It's a good thing or a bad thing.. depends or your view of the world.

Last edited by Vic_Vega; 06-22-2009 at 09:23 AM..

Old 06-22-2009, 09:15 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,028 times
The biggest crisis we will face are students not wanting to be a doctor but instead go into some other occupation. A doctor sacrifices and studies until they are 32 years before they have have their own practice, that is almost half their lifetime, and the government is telling them that they will get paid the equivalent of union wages?

Old 06-22-2009, 10:10 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
Well, since a majority of our hospitals are government owned, they don't file for bankruptcy or close. .
IMO, you are completely WRONG above - a vast majority of our hospitals are PRIVATELY owned - not publicly. For instance, in the Phoenix Metro Area there are only TWO government owned hospitals - and one of those is the VA hosptial. The other is the Maricopa County Hospital.

BUT, we have lots, and lots of private hospitals owned by Banner, Mayo and CSW (Catholic Services West).

But please, I'm sure you have evidence to the contrary - and if so, could you let us see it?

Old 06-22-2009, 10:18 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I respectfully disagree. All of the listed countries have a relatively homogeneous culture and much fewer options in the case of malpractice. My understanding is that they also have a much more limited social welfare net for poor people.
That is not the case. The social welfare net in Northern Europe, at least, offers better services than the US one.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:26 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,010,868 times
Quote:
Hospitals dont get paid enough by the government and have to file bankruptcy and close?

Doctors have their salaries cut and no longer see it worth 8+ years of school for a smaller salary?

Seniors, cant find retirement homes to go to because the cuts wont pay for their stay?

Employers across the country cut out their insurance causing an increase in the uninsured, not a decrease?

When people from other country come here to receive medical treatement at the taxpayers dime?

When medical facilities get caught committing insurance fraud, and get fined, thereby limiting the amount of money available for your medical care?

When hospitals dont have enough money to buy newer, better machines for better care and have to go without?

When the government decides that a procedure is worth $X and the hospitals say no, they cant afford to do it for that amount..

When insurance companies start to pay off the politicians to get access to their new billion dollar insurance contracts with the government for care..

Any others? Any answer?
Let me ask you this.

What happens when more and more companies drop insurance as a benefit, thereby creating more uninsured individuals.

Who now have to go out and purchase a product that is beyond their ability to afford.. and stop buying insurance.

Then they need to go see Dr.s and get treatment for something, but of course without the insurance (which alone was unaffordable) the actual TREATMENT is unaffordable.

SO.. the hospital treats the patient to save their life (if it was a life threatening immediate action type thing) but then is never able to collect because the actual PRICE of something was too high?

How about this.. the actual price charged for something is a price that actual normal people can pay.. without the blood sucking middleman (insurance) taking 30% of the money out of the Dr's, medical facilities and pharma companies hands.

How about a pharma company not being able to charge 300% the actual cost to make and create a pill so that the CEO of that company can buy his 5th house and yacht

How about we bring medical care within affordable and not inflated levels. That makes more sense.

As it stands now American companies can't afford the insurance premiums.. it's killing them in the global economy. Average American families, unless they are "wealthy", certainly can't afford the premiums (how many middle income families do you know can afford to pay two mortgages?? ).

Because that is where healthcare is heading in this country now... awww. .poor wall street will have to stop raking in the profits on medicine.. maybe the actual people who could continue to make a decent living would be the ones that actually DO something for hte patient rather than take (and take for nothing in return but overinflated prices on everything)

Old 06-22-2009, 10:59 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What you guys want is not possible. You want the American taxpayers to provide free care to all the people of the world who want to come here and get it. Illegals can simply come over and head straight to any ER and we're supposed to give them completely free health care. Welfare indigents can decide to keep having as many children as they like and the taxpayers are expected to provide completely free health care to them.
You are aware, I hope, that every UHC in the world comes with a residency requirement? If an American takes sick and is hospitalized in France, there will be a bill.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:01 AM

607 posts, read 922,879 times
For what it's worth, not a single person in Australia I spoke to had anything bad to say about UHC. In fact, most of them are appalled that the richest country in the world (or poorest, depending on who you ask) doesn't provide a basic service that Australians view as society's commitment.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:05 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That is not the case. The social welfare net in Northern Europe, at least, offers better services than the US one.
I think it's a matter of subjective opinions, so we'll just have to agree to disagree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies