Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 05:48 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Given its source, a publication of Claremont McKenna College, not exactly a hotbed of radicalism, this article urging health care cost containment as a reason to legalize euthanasia captures a justification for assisted suicide that is ever lurking in the background of the debate. From “The Economic Argument for Euthanasia,” by Charlie Sprague:
Quote:
America has serious health care problems, and as Paul Krugman makes clear in a recent column, serious cost control in the health care industry needs to be a top priority in reform. President Obama and Congressional Democrats seem poised to push for major health care reform in the upcoming months. One idea that politicians on neither the left nor the right will touch due to political sensibilities, however, could be the easiest way to save billions of dollars without affecting health care quality at all: legalizing euthanasia.

Probably a good idea...unless it's your family member then you might have a different viewpoint.

Secondhand Smoke
(http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/secondhandsmoke/2009/06/20/save-money-by-killing-the-sick-euthanasia-as-health-care-cost-containment-not-such-a-parody-as-the-author-may-think/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 05:54 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
This outcome is perfectly rational for a resource that is limited against unlimited demand.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:02 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
Probably a good idea...unless it's your family member then you might have a different viewpoint.

Secondhand Smoke
(http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/secondhandsmoke/2009/06/20/save-money-by-killing-the-sick-euthanasia-as-health-care-cost-containment-not-such-a-parody-as-the-author-may-think/ - broken link)
Is your point that euthanasia as a means to save money = bad idea?

Old 06-22-2009, 06:25 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Is your point that euthanasia as a means to save money = bad idea?

I think that's too broad a question and truthfully, I can't begin to have a definitive answer to it. I can see where there may be times when euthanasia might be the logical choice. However, there are emotional, religious and economic variables that always seem to muddy the waters. Mostly, who is to make these decisions, under what criteria are they being made and how will our limited resources be allocated? Should we euthanize a 68 year old cancer patient with 2 years to live or a 45 year old convict serving a life sentence in need of a liver transplant?

There are just too many variables that I believe can not be answered and I don't think leaving it up to politicians is in our best interests.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:29 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Yow, it's a terrible idea!

edit. This is talking about federalizing the option in Oregon's D with D Act (or a similar option). That's suicide, not euthanasia.

I think that's a good idea, but euthanasia is just sci-fi, plus there would be so few people opting for it it wouldnt save any money anyway.

Last edited by delusianne; 06-22-2009 at 06:38 AM..

Old 06-22-2009, 06:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
When politicians take over our health care system, all decisions will be made with votes in mind. Those people who probably wouldn't be around to vote in the next election will most likely be put out of their misery. Once the politicians take it over, our health care will be nothing but pork programs they way they always do things and consider how many votes and corporation kickbacks they'll get out of it.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:37 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
I can't even believe people would debate it but I suppose in a society that thinks it's a woman's right to choose murder when a baby is almost full term, I shouldn't be surprised.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:38 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,249 times
Soylent Green is people!!!!arrrrgh!!!

Soylent Green - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-22-2009, 06:53 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
In a society that has increasingly come to view a person's only value by their bank balance this is the inevitable end. One would think that "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" had been changed to add "as long as you are rich."

Old 06-22-2009, 07:40 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,384,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I can't even believe people would debate it but I suppose in a society that thinks it's a woman's right to choose murder when a baby is almost full term, I shouldn't be surprised.
In case you haven't noticed post-natal 'abortion' is now
considered to be just another 'choice' by many on the left.

If you google 'action T4' you can see where this cost savings plan has been done before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies