Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 05:16 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times

Advertisements

If the world was going to apologize for all the cruelties and injustices created since the beginning of humanity ~ and make reparations for it ~ then every country, nook and cranny of the globe would be "owing" somewhere else. Hardly anywhere or any civilization is guilt-free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 05:30 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
If the world was going to apologize for all the cruelties and injustices created since the beginning of humanity ~ and make reparations for it ~ then every country, nook and cranny of the globe would be "owing" somewhere else. Hardly anywhere or any civilization is guilt-free.

see the difference is civilizations were and are a thing of the past and for something like this to be going on this late in human civilation is wrong its like how countries are no longer taking over other countries and bringing their citizens to start a new life u know like the colonial periods

Old 06-22-2009, 05:34 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I completely agree. Former Black slaves were not the only wronged people in history. Geez....history is full of travesties bestowed upon so many people.

Yes, slavery was horrible. Nothing can be said to change that. But the current U.S. government has nothing to apologize for. Nobody alive in our government today had anything whatsoever to do with slavery. Why on earth should they apologize for something they have no culpability for?

Old 06-22-2009, 05:43 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
omle you forgot to tell me what part of history you think I need to read about

Old 06-22-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I completely agree. Former Black slaves were not the only wronged people in history. Geez....history is full of travesties bestowed upon so many people.

Yes, slavery was horrible. Nothing can be said to change that. But the current U.S. government has nothing to apologize for. Nobody alive in our government today had anything whatsoever to do with slavery. Why on earth should they apologize for something they have no culpability for?

yes but we today glorify those figures, ps it wasnt just slavery it was psot slavery events as well.

why do we celebrate indepence day that was so long ago. why do the holocaust have such a impact on americans and it didnt happen here! while there was holocaust certain americans were living under a dictator race

Old 06-22-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
Um. I was directly asked a question, and I answered it. Who is crying about anything? I stated the facts as I know them. The end.

Coincidentally, I am African American, and my best friend is Chinese American. We are both doing very well. Thanks for asking.

the chinese is irrelevant to the discussion really they arent americans, the irish were treated like dirt because they were catholic spie them being white(non anglos) but after while that changed when all whites came together. one point all europeans thought they were seperate races

Old 06-22-2009, 05:52 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Meaningless, unnecessary and stupid.

I'm sure reparations are going to follow close behind.
But it is Congress.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene
Meaningless, unnecessary and stupid.

I'm sure reparations are going to follow close behind.
its not stupid, meaninglessyes but not stupid they tried but didnt work

Old 06-22-2009, 06:01 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
I'm sure reparations are going to follow close behind
No. That wouldn't fly with anyone.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:12 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'll take an apology over reparations anyday.

You wanna see people go ape sh*t? Start handing out checks to undeserving black folks that have no sweat equity in the issue. You'll see a revolt at the ballot box as never seen before.
I have to side 100% with the wingnuts on this issue....I'll NEVER pay another red cent in taxes if reparation checks ever start getting passed out.I never owned slaves nor did my family and it will be a cold day in Hades before I pay some undeserving folks for something they never suffered.JMO

Last edited by Swampmonster; 06-22-2009 at 06:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies