Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2009, 06:20 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
To put it bluntly, our ancestors DID enslave other people. I'm not a bleeding heart liberal, in fact I am a conservative Christian.

However, I believe that we should apologize for the sins of our fathers at the very, very least.

What was done to black Americans was WRONG.

People were enslaved, and many died. Even not to die but to be enslaved for life was so very cruel to an entire race of people.

Our forefathers were responsible for this and we owe black Americans a huge apology for the injustice.

A whole lot of money was made by enslaving these people, and if reparations to their ancestors is in order I believe it should be looked in to by the US Congress. WE profited off black Americans for almost 200 years and they ultimately suffered for it for generation after generation even after slavery ended.

Perhaps it is time to pay the piper.

So, in that vein, what about apologies to indentured servants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:26 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
chinese w erent slaves they were used for labor and for the most part didnt really endure what blacks did native americans for the most part yes but even them had more freedom, land and even slaves so...

blacks were the enemy of americans, no other racial group had an illigitimate reason towards them for slavery. blacks were seen as unhuman, animals. the church okay slave trade, blacks were inferior...

What bright, sunny, watered down history book have you been reading?!

The Chinese weren't slaves? Are you serious?

Let's be honest here, blacks have not been the only group of people to be treated like crap and made into slaves through the course of history. But I don't hear the other groups making some of the claims that American blacks have.

I understand it was a s**ty thing to have happen, make no mistake about that, I just don't understand why everyone only focuses on the blacks and their struggle; while forgetting the other groups that went through the same thing or worse.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:27 PM

382 posts, read 954,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
I fully agree with sanrene and Sonrise on this one. I refuse to apologize for something that no one living that I know had any part in, either as owner or slave. Additionally, I refuse to accept slavery as an excuse for poor behavior from its descendants.
This is yet another attempt to steal more tax dollars and redistribute them; plain and simple. The Great Obama; you ain't seen nothin yet, brotha.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
Bottom Line for me is, Black slaves and descendants of black slaves should be apologized to for the unjustices we face(d) in America. I'm not asking anyone to feel sorry for Us or our ancestors,BE Clear! I'm not even asking for reperations even though we were promised reperations and deserve them. Reperations for me would be an acknowledgement and apology for the past. Also equal rights and an equal playing field for ALL disadvantaged people of color. I definitely think that innercity schools should be improved. We as blacks help build america and its crying shame that people are riled up over an "apology".......Feel lucky its only an apology and not monetary reperations!

No amount of government funding will completely improve an inner city school. Parents help make the difference. One of my best friends taught in an inner city school and she said out of her entire class, there were about 2 parents who came to school functions or attended any sort of meetings. And many parents didn't help their kids with homework or see to it that their homework was done. They didn't read to their kids at all, just put them in front of video games or tv.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17th Street View Post
When do we ever "get over" our pasts? I live in DC and literally everywhere I go I bump into shines and monuments for former presidents and war heroes, which, by the way, I think is absolutely fine.

I consider myself to be a pretty successful African American. I am college educated, employed, live in an extremely nice area of town, pay taxes, and I have never been in any sort of legal trouble. I say this because I have been reading/seeing these threads about how to fix "Black America," and to be honest I am quite sick of it. I can say that my entire (Black) family (both immediate and extended) is college educated.

On the topic at hand, I have been doing genealogy research, and I am pretty stunned by how little I can find. Someone mentioned knowing that their family came from Sicily, quite honestly, you are very lucky to know that. I can only go as far back as my great great grandfather. This person was a slave, and that is really all I know. This is how slavery affects the current generation. It leaves us with a hole. I feel as though I can't honor the lives of my ancestors because I simply don't know who they are. I don't want or need reparations, but I think an apology to those lost souls is the least the government can do.
I'm a white girl genealogy fanatic, and I watched a news show not too long ago talking about this woman who wanted to find her ancestors in Africa. She actually found some of them through the DNA Project and is now wanting to start a project that helps other people trace their African Roots.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarqueseGilmore View Post
Does that make it right? Does that make the US right?
Then why no cries for these people to apologize as well?

Old 06-22-2009, 06:49 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
the chinese is irrelevant to the discussion really they arent americans, the irish were treated like dirt because they were catholic spie them being white(non anglos) but after while that changed when all whites came together. one point all europeans thought they were seperate races
Have you any idea how the Chinese were treated here during the early railroad years????

Old 06-22-2009, 06:57 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
But that is all a legacy of dehumanization and the self-hatred this brings along. Remember, there was a time when we were not even allowed to learn to read. Now we can, and should. The fact that we do not is a legacy of slavery, but also the broader issue of loss of name, culture and identity. And that just does not go away.
There was a time when women weren't allowed to learn to read and were kept subservient to men. Women also were not allowed to vote. Sadly this is true in other countries today, but mercifully not here.

Given advances in DNA testing, is it possible (or has it been developed) to test African American citizens to establish where in Africa their ancestors might have come from? It's not the same as knowing one's familial surname, but it would open the door to finding out a little more about one's pre-slavery heritage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
I have read accounts from burakumin, a permanent Japanese underclass thousands of years old, and the statements of low self-worth sounded so familiar they made me cry.
Fortunately we do not have a permanent underclass thousands of years old. We are all free to take advantage of whatever opportunities we are motivated to pursue. Granted, not everyone is going to become a success, but there is no reason whatsoever to accept the status quo.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:00 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I haven't seen anything racist.

It sounds like you had a preconcieved notion that an apology and reparations would be fully supported. Instead, you're seeing how ridiculous it is (especially reparations, if that were to happen). It seems you don't agree with these sentiments, so now everyone's a racist. You should educate yourself before using the race card.

It sounds like you want a Thank You Card and a check in the mail. I can stomach the apology, but never reparations.

I can't believe this crap is back on the board again.,,,Aero, the OP was not the first person to bring up Reparation, that would be Sarene. We've been down this road last week. The apology was made now move on.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Only those who are guilty of it should apologize to those who were enslaved. Since all those people are long dead, the whole thing is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies