Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 02:59 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times

Advertisements

Do those who have a problem with Sarkozy's position also have a problem with Muslim nations who require foreign, non-Muslim women to wear, at the very least, a head covering in public?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 03:02 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
There was another post on this elsewhere.

The sight of burqas allows them to be identified by others (I don't necessarily mean this in a bad way). I don't think forcing them to abandon their style of dress will make them "assimilate".

But I do strongly believe in this: ALL faces must be revealed for government i.d. photos, no matter what it is!!! These incidents where women insisted on keeping their faces covered for drivers licenses, or whatever, is bull$hit.
You're last paragraph is exactly what popped into my head! For safety reasons, the face should ALWAYS be visible. How easy would it be for someone to wear a burqa and rob a store? How would you ID the person?? Well... she or he was between 5'5 and 6' tall... shrouded in black from head to toe...

To me it's a big safety issue.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:05 PM

769 posts, read 887,586 times
Can you imagine if someone in a burqa set off a metal detector? You could hide ANYTHING under those things.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:09 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The French government are very concerned about keeping France French. It is their country and their perogative.
i think that's the main reason why France, and other European countries to a large extent, are having problem assimilating their immigrants to their society and culture. At least immigrants in the US generally assimilate with much more ease. That's why you don't see a lot of religious or ethnic violence in the US, and you don't see many muslim women wearing burqas in the US that it creates such a stir, even a president has to comment on it.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:20 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Gang clothing is banned in areas of Los Angeles, which is why colors aren't as important as they used to be. And many simply sport oversized white tshirts and black dickies pants.
The use of those is directly associated to the action of violence between the adornment of those colors. And the restriction while I disagree with is logically reasoned for the protection of people concerning it. That is not the same case with the burqa, in fact if we were to apply the logic of why the above restrictions were put in place, then it would be logical to request that everyone wear burqa's in order to avoid violence that may result from not wearing them. The France issue is not one that is out of concern for the violence, rather it is one that is out of public distaste for what it represents to which is used assumptively to conclude that all who do wear them do so because of that public distaste.

Quote:
Also, it was a well known fact in the not so recent past that you avoid wearing certain colors in some areas of Los Angeles to avoid being in the crossfire of gang rivalry.
Yet that is irrelevant to the freedom to do so. We aren't discussing the wisdom of a choice, only that one is free to make that choice. When we begin assuming the wisdom of others through the removal of freedoms, then we become no different than the oppresor to which we claim to protect them from.

Quote:
I know that schools impose a dress code on students for that reason in Los Angeles so no I don't think it's far fetched to not permit people to wear a full body shroud in public. It's not the western way if they want to wear a full body cloak then they can go back to where they came from and wear it there, or just wear it in their home.
Public schools are not mandatory, one can choose any school that they wish.

There was a time when dress code was more conservative and required socially that those in public hold to a appropriate manner of dress. It was traditional and part of this culture to dress as such, yet it was rebelled against using the claim of "individual freedom of choice". Are you to say they were wrong as well? This is a hypocrisy issue. Nothing else.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Follow your own advice, pal.
I am not your pal, your friend, or your buddy.

I am someone who has shown you to be lacking in your argument, and your responses have been to show me that you are someone who believes thinking themselves correct is more important than actually being correct.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Do those who have a problem with Sarkozy's position also have a problem with Muslim nations who require foreign, non-Muslim women to wear, at the very least, a head covering in public?
Those nations do not proclaim to be a society that supports individual freedom. Are you saying that France does not support a society of individual freedom? If so, then times have changed considering their gift to us. /shrug

Old 06-22-2009, 03:26 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieFin View Post
I bet they all had more in common with each other than the people and most esp. the conservative and native and clergy elements of any of the countries they lived in! I'm sure they all hated conservatives, Christians, native Europeans or White America, etc. etc. etc. etc. and I'm sure they all voted liberal and supported diminishment of the aforementioned groups within their host countries. They all supported right-wing collectivism and Zionism there however, no surprise, which is utterly hypocritical and predictably racist.
Isaac Asimov was a zionist? And Adam Horowitz? I bet you have no idea who they are/were.

But what the f, take it from me a descendent of the Mayflower, a conservative and an atheist that you have been sold a bill of goods. There is no 'jewish cabal', there is no zionist plot to take over the world and tin foil will not protect your thoughts from 'them'.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
There was another post on this elsewhere.

The sight of burqas allows them to be identified by others (I don't necessarily mean this in a bad way). I don't think forcing them to abandon their style of dress will make them "assimilate".

But I do strongly believe in this: ALL faces must be revealed for government i.d. photos, no matter what it is!!! These incidents where women insisted on keeping their faces covered for drivers licenses, or whatever, is bull$hit.
Nothing wrong with that requirement, it is a practical matter to which is required for society to function. All must properly identify themselves in those areas. That unfortunately is not what is being argued.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:37 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRose View Post
you are good at putting words in other people's mouths.

France would be better off without Semites of any kind, Jew or Muslim. Period. End of story.

Gio back to the inbreds on stormfront. I hear there is a head shaving party going on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies