Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:02 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,635,106 times

Advertisements

Originally posted by Jill61

Quote:
No one's telling you that you can't smoke cigarettes. But you are going to be informed, the drugs and additives in it are going to be regulated and the deceptive practices used to entice children to start this addiction will be banned.
We have been informed for a very long time now Jill. People have known for years, hell, people have always known in their hearts that smoking was bad for them. They didn't need congress or doctors to tell them that. And if they claim they did, they obviously aren't very intelligent. That is one reason why I have always found these lawsuits against tobacco companies so hilarious. These people knew the danger, and the judges still handed them a bunch of money.

But, I am with you on proper listing of ingredients. I have already elaborated on this subject in an earlier post. I think one of the best anti smoking initiatives could simply be making them list the poisons they are putting into our cigarettes. I might think twice about lighting up if I was confronted daily with the arsenic content in my Newport Lights.

And as far as deceptive tactics, Joe Camel advertisements on billboards were banned long ago and there are no cigarette commercials. The main contributor to youth smoking is adult smoking. They learn from what they see, and no ban is going to change that. They see their parents, grandparents, friend's parents lighting up. That alone is enough to make them curious. Now if we really want to talk about enticing children, why don't we tackle the ads for beer we see in every magazine, on billboards, and even on TV. Hell, Budweiser has teenage boys thinking all they have to do is crack open a Bud and they will be surrounded by half naked women. That's false advertising. You have to atleast go to a party first
But seriously, there are plenty of vices being advertised to our children everyday that are just as dangerous to children as smoking. So why aren't we attacking those industries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 01:04 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,635,106 times

Quote:
Sorry if you like strawberry and grape-flavored cigarettes as an adult (though I highly doubt that), but since those "flavors" are marketed to children, who I think our government has a right to try to protect.
I have never seen a strawberry flavored cigarrette. But I have seen strawberry flavored cigars. Are these what you are talking about? If so, don't worry, nobody smokes them anyway. They empty them out and replace the tobacco with another natural substance. Trust me, those flavors aren't being marketed for the children

Also, it is not the government's business to protect my child. That is my job and I would ask them to stop trying to push themselves further into our lives. Our government is far too involved in our lives as it is. We don't need anymore help or supervision.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:13 PM

38,613 posts, read 26,267,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
why does the color of your skin matter who you vote for?

Why don't you ask these color-blind voters?

Click image for larger version

Name:	los-angeles.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	43878

Name:	los-angeles2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	43879

Name:	nationalmall.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	43880

Name:	nationalmall2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	43881

Name:	nationalmall3.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	43882

Name:	princeton.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	43883

Name:	denver.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	43884

Old 06-22-2009, 01:16 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,895,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
This bill doesn't prevent you from smoking if you want to.

It gives control over what additives are allowed, and how they are labeled on packaging and advertising, to the FDA.

Sorry if you like strawberry and grape-flavored cigarettes as an adult (though I highly doubt that), but since those "flavors" are marketed to children, I think our government has a right to try to protect them.
Since when did raising kids become the governments job?

Old 06-22-2009, 01:23 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,465,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
If 97% of whites voted for McCain, the overwhelming majority voting for him simply because he was white, then your point would be valid.
Nearly 97% of the people that voted for McCain were white..LOL. Your ignorance forces you to believe that black people voted for Obama because he is black..When black people vote for flavor flav you might have a point.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:30 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,363,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
This bill doesn't prevent you from smoking if you want to.

It gives control over what additives are allowed, and how they are labeled on packaging and advertising, to the FDA.

Sorry if you like strawberry and grape-flavored cigarettes as an adult (though I highly doubt that), but since those "flavors" are marketed to children, I think our government has a right to try to protect them.
Yes it does. It bans cloves and I am not sure, because I haven't read my way through it enough, but it may or may not ban shisha under the catagory of "moist flavored tobacco". (If someone could answer this I would appreciate it) I also will not smoke regular cigarettes for various reasons, so as an adult this bill would essentially prevent me from smoking. I voted democratic ever since I could vote back in 2004 and will tell you because of this and all of their broken promises as to the war, fiscal responsiblity, corporate welfare, individual freedom etc. I will not be voting for them in 2010.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:50 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,416,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post

We have been informed for a very long time now Jill. People have known for years, hell, people have always known in their hearts that smoking was bad for them. They didn't need congress or doctors to tell them that. And if they claim they did, they obviously aren't very intelligent. That is one reason why I have always found these lawsuits against tobacco companies so hilarious. These people knew the danger, and the judges still handed them a bunch of money.

But, I am with you on proper listing of ingredients. I have already elaborated on this subject in an earlier post. I think one of the best anti smoking initiatives could simply be making them list the poisons they are putting into our cigarettes. I might think twice about lighting up if I was confronted daily with the arsenic content in my Newport Lights.
I'm with you on the lawsuits being ridiculous. However, we aren't nearly as informed as we should be about what really goes into cigarettes. Over 4,000 different chemicals, including formaldehyde! We "force" food manufacturers to list every ingredient that goes into every food we buy at the grocery store. I don't see why cigarettes should be exempt from the same guidelines. So it sounds like we actually agree more than we disagree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH

And as far as deceptive tactics, Joe Camel advertisements on billboards were banned long ago and there are no cigarette commercials. The main contributor to youth smoking is adult smoking. They learn from what they see, and no ban is going to change that. They see their parents, grandparents, friend's parents lighting up. That alone is enough to make them curious. Now if we really want to talk about enticing children, why don't we tackle the ads for beer we see in every magazine, on billboards, and even on TV. Hell, Budweiser has teenage boys thinking all they have to do is crack open a Bud and they will be surrounded by half naked women. That's false advertising. You have to atleast go to a party first
But seriously, there are plenty of vices being advertised to our children everyday that are just as dangerous to children as smoking. So why aren't we attacking those industries?
Maybe we should be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post

I have never seen a strawberry flavored cigarrette. But I have seen strawberry flavored cigars. Are these what you are talking about? If so, don't worry, nobody smokes them anyway. They empty them out and replace the tobacco with another natural substance. Trust me, those flavors aren't being marketed for the children
I've never personally seen them either, but since I stopped smoking nearly 7 years ago, I don't pay attention to what kind of cigarettes are behind the counter. But the ban apparently lists strawberry and grape flavors as two of the specific flavorings that are being banned, so they must be making them, or why ban them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH

Also, it is not the government's business to protect my child. That is my job and I would ask them to stop trying to push themselves further into our lives. Our government is far too involved in our lives as it is. We don't need anymore help or supervision.
But how can you protect your child if you don't know what goes into all the poisons that they'd be exposed to? You aren't unhappy that the government makes all other drug manufacturers give you a list of ingredients and possible side-effects, so why exempt tobacco? We're thrilled when the FDA covers our ass when companies put out things like Fen-phen. And I'm sure as hell glad they're taking a new look at gardasil, which now might be linked to ALS.

As a parent, I'd want to know, and who else is going to tell me but the government? These companies aren't going to voluntarily tell you what they're doing to kill you or your kids!

Old 06-22-2009, 02:08 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,956,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Regarding your race and who you vote for, I DO think it is relevant. Why? Because I highly doubt anyone can come up with a substantial resource indicating that young, black individuals voted for John McCain enmasse. So to me, it is interesting to hear the opposition given that most black folks likely did vote for Obama.

THANK YOU! Only about 5% of blacks voted for McCain. Next election season, I think it wouldn't be as high a number for Obama.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:13 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,416,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

THANK YOU! Only about 5% of blacks voted for McCain. Next election season, I think it wouldn't be as high a number for Obama.
Show me a national election where a significantly high percentage of African Americans didn't vote for the DEMOCRATIC candidate. And ALL of them have been CAUCASIAN up to now.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:15 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,956,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1878 View Post
Good for you Victorian Punk!

With the alarming rate that Obama is continuing Bush's illegal actions and raising the bar with his own lies everyone will have their own final straw. I commend you for accepting the truth.

I hope you will look into Libertarian and other 3rd party philosophy and stop accepting the lesser of two evils. The two party dictatorship in this country needs to be toppled. We need politicians who are willing to work within the constraints of the US Constitution and are interested in the well being of the people of this nation, not their own political aspirations.
I voted for Ron Paul in the primaries, and will probably vote for a moderate, non-neocon warmonger republican, like Chuck Hagel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies