Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is a family?
A couple, be it same sex or a male+female without children 9 33.33%
A couple, male and female, raising children 15 55.56%
A couple, same sex or opposite sex, raising children 10 37.04%
A group of people who love each other 13 48.15%
A couple raising children they are legally responsible for 11 40.74%
A couple, male and female, without children 8 29.63%
None of the above 0 0%
Other [in comments] 6 22.22%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 08:25 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times

Advertisements

Pam's House Blend:: Idaho Local TV Report Asks: What Is A Family? (http://www.pamshouseblend.com/diary/11623/idaho-local-tv-report-asks-what-is-a-family - broken link)

Quote:
The definition of family is under scrutiny.
This comes after a local same-sex couple was denied a family pool pass at Lava Hot Springs.
The two claim the staff at the swimming pool facility told them they didn't fit the description of a family and couldn't get the reduced rate.
The executive director of the Lava Hot Springs Foundation says they define parents as adults who are legally in charge of dependent children or who are married to the adult who's in charge of the kids.
Since the state of Idaho doesn't recognize same-sex marriages, the American Falls couple didn't get the $20 pass.
If the two women had papers saying they were both legally responsible for their children, that could have cleared things up but do people really need to carry these things around to prove they are a family?

In any case, what's a family to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 08:31 AM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
How about all of the above.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post

My mistake.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:00 AM

297 posts, read 349,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Pam's House Blend:: Idaho Local TV Report Asks: What Is A Family? (http://www.pamshouseblend.com/diary/11623/idaho-local-tv-report-asks-what-is-a-family - broken link)

If the two women had papers saying they were both legally responsible for their children, that could have cleared things up but do people really need to carry these things around to prove they are a family?

I chose the "any group of people who love each other" option, but, I agree with the other poster who suggested an "all of the above"!

In regards to the providing legal paperwork in cases like the above, that doesn't always work. I had to rush my partner to the hospital ER last April with what turned out to be a kidney stone. He was in the worst pain I had ever seen and he had never had a kidney stone before, so neither of us knew what was happening.

He was screaming in agony and the morphine or whatever they gave him wasn't working to stop it. They refused to let me go back with him. We have medical power of attorney for each other, as well as living wills, etc. They still refused to allow me back and kept insisting that "friends are to wait in the waiting room". This was all after showing them the legal paperwork.

I was just about to cause a scene, when a nurse supervisor finally allowed me back. The treatment he received for the rest of the time in the ER was terrible. They left him in the exam room with me for 45 minutes at atime while he was screaming in pain and vomiting from the pain and medicine.

Fortunately, when he was finally admitted, the treatment greatly improved and I wasn't made to feel unwelcome. In fact, they gave me the option to stay overnight.

This would never have happened were we a straight couple, let alone a married one. They wouldn't even have asked if we were married, they would only have assumed so.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:00 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
One could reasonably choose to pick all of them as it is not a single option poll. I know I did.

I also chose other, as my closest friends are also a part of my family. I've lived with room mates, and we were all one big happy family - though not related by blood or anything... nor did we "love" each other.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equality4all View Post
I chose the "any group of people who love each other" option, but, I agree with the other poster who suggested an "all of the above"!

In regards to the providing legal paperwork in cases like the above, that doesn't always work. I had to rush my partner to the hospital ER last April with what turned out to be a kidney stone. He was in the worst pain I had ever seen and he had never had a kidney stone before, so neither of us knew what was happening.

He was screaming in agony and the morphine or whatever they gave him wasn't working to stop it. They refused to let me go back with him. We have medical power of attorney for each other, as well as living wills, etc. They still refused to allow me back and kept insisting that "friends are to wait in the waiting room". This was all after showing them the legal paperwork.

I was just about to cause a scene, when a nurse supervisor finally allowed me back. The treatment he received for the rest of the time in the ER was terrible. They left him in the exam room with me for 45 minutes at atime while he was screaming in pain and vomiting from the pain and medicine.

Fortunately, when he was finally admitted, the treatment greatly improved and I wasn't made to feel unwelcome. In fact, they gave me the option to stay overnight.

This would never have happened were we a straight couple, let alone a married one. They wouldn't even have asked if we were married, they would only have assumed so.
Trust me, I know.

My girlfriend and I don't live together right now but when we do, my biggest worry will be a medical emergency and if they will allow us to make medical decisions for one another.
We plan to go to an attorney and hopefully we won't encounter any discrimination.
It all depends on the hospital, the nurses, the doctors, etc.

Its upsetting to know that even when we go out to an attorney to get the papers drawn up, people can still stop us from making medical decisions for our partners. You hear all these conservatives saying, "Go to a lawyer...get the papers drawn up. You don't need marriage" but then things like this happen. It seems they'll never understand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XeY7D45BU4

I think by speaking out we can change some people's hearts and minds.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:20 AM

297 posts, read 349,111 times
Quote:
Trust me, I know.

My girlfriend and I don't live together right now but when we do, my biggest worry will be a medical emergency and if they will allow us to make medical decisions for one another.
We plan to go to an attorney and hopefully we won't encounter any discrimination.
It all depends on the hospital, the nurses, the doctors, etc.

Its upsetting to know that even when we go out to an attorney to get the papers drawn up, people can still stop us from making medical decisions for our partners. You hear all these conservatives saying, "Go to a lawyer...get the papers drawn up. You don't need marriage" but then things like this happen. It seems they'll never understand.

YouTube - 10 Couples: Heather & Carol

I think by speaking out we can change some people's hearts and minds.
I think it is safe to say that those who are vehemently against LGBT Rights and Same Sex Marriage never will since they will never try to. Because if they ever did begin to understand or put themselves in our shoes, they would have to begin viewing and treating us as fellow human beings.

As you say, the best way to change people's hearts and minds is to speak out, and share our stories so people truly realize and understand the struggles we face, so that future LGBT generations don't have to.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:44 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,566,082 times
Quote:

God, when will this stop? I'm so sick of hearing these types of stories & hear these bigots insist "I am NOT a bigot"...BS. Anyway, I consider all a family & I also consider my relationship w/my best friends a family as well. They know me better than my parents do, I spend all my time w/them, etc.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:36 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
There are several definitions in my opinion. But this is my #1. definition of family.

A family are people genetically related to each other, related by adoption, and/or related to each other by marriage.

I'm not going to place a distinction on family as it relates to same sex or opposite sex couples.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:40 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,639,213 times
Maybe "what is NOT a family" should be delineated here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies