Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 02:53 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,680,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I'm always surprised by just how low some people are willing to go in attacking Obama. Iran is a legitimate country and its diplomats are ALWAYS invited to open State Department functions like this one. If every country with a disputed election were taken off the guest list, the United States wouldn't get invited anywhere!

Ahh yes we invite them and the tax payer pays for it, and I just wonder what the purpose of inviting other countries to our nation is when we are covering the bill. No matter who the country is. If they want to come let them pay for it. I also see no reason at this time considering we are trillions in debt and people are out of work for this government to celebrate anything on tax payer money. This government loves to pretend to support the ideas of 1776 but they fdon't believe in any of it.
I think maybe we should celebrate our independance from this government and start over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 02:57 PM

596 posts, read 889,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And maybe they didn't install a brutal dictator whose torture of his own citizens could have been taken right out of Saddam Hussein's play book.

"Formed under the guidance of United States and Israeli intelligence officers in 1957, SAVAK developed into an effective secret agency.

Over the years, SAVAK became a law unto itself, having legal authority to arrest and detain suspected persons indefinitely. SAVAK operated its own prisons in Tehran (the Komiteh and Evin facilities) and, many suspected, throughout the country as well. SAVAK's torture methods included electric shock, whipping, beating, inserting brokon glass and pouring boiling water into the rectum, tying weights to the testicles, and the extraction of teeth and nails. Many of these activities were carried out without any institutional checks."

SAVAK [Ministry of Security] Iran Intelligence Agencies

Frankly with that backdrop, holding American's hostage for 444 days was like inviting them to a cook out by comparison.
I am an American and concerned more with what happens to American citizens. I'm very familiar with Iranian history and have read several books about it. Do you really think we should be held responsible for what they did to their own citizens? By that token, the UN should be held responsible for anything Israel does.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:06 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
I am an American and concerned more with what happens to American citizens.
That's nice, so I am to take it that what the U.S. government does in your name is totally unimportant regardless of how it may come back and affect U.S. citizens in a far more direct way?

Quote:
Do you really think we should be held responsible for what they did to their own citizens?
I'm dying to know what those books might have been since they obviously didn't inform you of the role the U.S. played in training, and supporting those Iranians who committed such atrocities against their own people.

Quote:
By that token, the UN should be held responsible for anything Israel does.
Sorry but I didn't notice the UN paying for Israeli settlements or abuses against Palestinians in the occupied territories. Perhaps I need to go back and re-read all of those UN resolutions that I heretofore thought condemned such things.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:12 PM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
It was far left activists that caused the trouble at the Dem Convention and they were also involved at Kent State.

The goose-stepping mayor of Chicago along with his goon squads bear as much responsibility for the trouble at the Dem convention as anyone else.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:13 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Ahh yes we invite them and the tax payer pays for it, and I just wonder what the purpose of inviting other countries to our nation is when we are covering the bill. No matter who the country is. If they want to come let them pay for it. I also see no reason at this time considering we are trillions in debt and people are out of work for this government to celebrate anything on tax payer money. This government loves to pretend to support the ideas of 1776 but they fdon't believe in any of it.
I think maybe we should celebrate our independance from this government and start over.
Uh, it's called "diplomacy".

Old 06-23-2009, 03:18 PM

455 posts, read 1,017,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoBankerGirl View Post
Not really:

New York Times - June 1, 2009

"Last Friday, the State Department sent a cable to its embassies and consulates around the world notifying them that “they may invite representatives from the government of Iran†to their Independence Day celebrations — annual receptions that typically feature hot dogs, red-white-and-blue bunting and some perfunctory remarks about the founding fathers.
The United States has not had relations with Iran since the American Embassy in Tehran was seized by protesters in 1979; the country’s diplomats have not been formally invited to American events since then."

Purported State Department invitation: May 29th, 2009
Iran Election: June 12th, 2009

I am sorry, but this isn't one of those 'Gotcha' moments you're looking for.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:19 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,913,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Don't you recognize the irony of inviting one of the world's most oppressive regimes over for hot dogs and apple pie on Independence Day?
Less so than the US supplying one of the worlds most oppressive regimes with bombs and other weapons of war as Nixon and Bush did.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:23 PM

596 posts, read 889,530 times
That's nice, so I am to take it that what the U.S. government does in your name is totally unimportant regardless of how it may come back and affect U.S. citizens in a far more direct way?

No, I never said "totally unimportant", but yes, the hostage crisis was more important and relevant to me that the abuses of SAVAK.

I'm dying to know what those books might have been since they obviously didn't inform you of the role the U.S. played in training, and supporting those Iranians who committed such atrocities against their own people.

Here are a list of books I have read about the Middle East:
- Guests of the Ayatollah
- Reading Lolita in Tehran
- The Bookseller of Kabul
- The Looming Tower
- Infidel (technically not Middle East, but discusses Islam)
(Does the 9/11 Commission Report count?)

Sorry but I didn't notice the UN paying for Israeli settlements or abuses against Palestinians in the occupied territories. Perhaps I need to go back and re-read all of those UN resolutions that I heretofore thought condemned such things.

I'm glad you said that, because it illuminates a point I was trying to make. The UN didn't pay for abuses against Palestinians, but it did set up the Partition Plan that established the modern Israeli state. This doesn't make the UN responsible for Israeli actions any more than the US should be responsible for actions committed by SAVAK.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:26 PM

34 posts, read 28,862 times
An invitation likes this goes out pro forma to all foreign representation to the United States and is very likely to have been sent several weeks before the elections.

People need to get a grip.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:28 PM

3,813 posts, read 4,913,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
And maybe they didn't install a brutal dictator whose torture of his own citizens could have been taken right out of Saddam Hussein's play book.

"Formed under the guidance of United States and Israeli intelligence officers in 1957, SAVAK developed into an effective secret agency.

Over the years, SAVAK became a law unto itself, having legal authority to arrest and detain suspected persons indefinitely. SAVAK operated its own prisons in Tehran (the Komiteh and Evin facilities) and, many suspected, throughout the country as well. SAVAK's torture methods included electric shock, whipping, beating, inserting brokon glass and pouring boiling water into the rectum, tying weights to the testicles, and the extraction of teeth and nails. Many of these activities were carried out without any institutional checks."

SAVAK [Ministry of Security] Iran Intelligence Agencies

Frankly with that backdrop, holding American's hostage for 444 days was like inviting them to a cook out by comparison.
...and out govenment had no qualms dealing with the Iran as long as our oil interests were protected. Our hands are not clean!
R. Prince -- United States and Saddam: A Friendship Gone Sour Page (http://clem.mscd.edu/~princer/peace/scoop2.htm - broken link)

Quote:
The shah was put firmly in power in 1953 by a CIA orchestrated coup, which overthrew Prime Minister Mohammed Mossadegh. By 1963, the United States had supplied the shah with $1.3 billion worth of weapons. During the Nixon Administration Iran would make a major leap forward as an American bulwark in the Middle East with arms sales increasing from $500 million in 1972 to $4.3 billion in 1974. Between 1970 and 1978 the shah ordered $20 billion worth of military equipment accounting for 25% of US arms sales for the period. (Arming Iraq, p.10-12). The only problem with this policy was that despite being militarily strong, the shah was politically weak. The Iranian people rightly viewed the dictator as an American stool pigeon and overthrew him in 1979. The loss of the shah was a major blow to American policy, leaving an anti-American country sitting on an arsenal of high tech weapons. It was this loss of this major regional ally that prompted the American shift towards Iraq as a replacement pillar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies