Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:04 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,694,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"Grrrrrr! Dont you dare try to unhook my chain!"
Ya, keep fighting the proverbial man, seems to have steller consequences for ya. I on the other hand, am the man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 11:09 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,284,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Ya, keep fighting the proverbial man, seems to have steller consequences for ya. I on the other hand, am the man.
Think so, puppy?

Old 06-24-2009, 11:13 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,986,759 times
Quote:
"Grrrrrr! Dont you dare try to unhook my chain!"
Why not contribute with intelligent debate, salient points that bolster your argument, and the like, instead of these snide bitter reposts that do nothing. Why should this poster need, want, or in any way support a union when it is clear that they feel comfortable providing for themselves all the benefits that a union is purported to provide, without the attendant costs, headaches and political games those unions usually demand.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Why not contribute with intelligent debate, salient points that bolster your argument, and the like, instead of these snide bitter reposts that do nothing. Why should this poster need, want, or in any way support a union when it is clear that they feel comfortable providing for themselves all the benefits that a union is purported to provide, without the attendant costs, headaches and political games those unions usually demand.
"ripostes"

He *is* clinging to his chains. Im not trying to sell him on unions, just reminding him he depends on an undependable master. He scoffed at the idea of pensions -- whether provided by a union or by his employer doesnt matter, he just wont have it. He's only 30 and has never known any better than the illusion of security, and the game of trying to maintain it, that he's experienced since he began working. To me that's worth a comment.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:27 AM

38,760 posts, read 22,568,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Want to see why teacher's unions became necessary?

RULES FOR [FEMALE] TEACHERS 1915:

RULES FOR [FEMALE] TEACHERS 1915

1. You will NOT marry during the term of your contract.

2. You are NOT to keep company with men.

3. You MUST be home between the hours of 8pm and 6am
unless attending a school function.

4. You MAY NOT loiter downtown in icecream stores.

5. You MAY NOT travel beyond the city limits
without the permission of the chairman of the board.

6. You MAY NOT ride in a carriage or automobile with any man
unless he is your father or your brother.

7. You MAY NOT smoke cigarettes.

8. You MAY NOT dress in bright colours.

9. You may UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES dye your hair.

10. You must wear AT LEAST two petticoats.

11. Your dresses must NOT be any shorter
than two inches above the ankle.

12. To keep the school room clean you must:
- sweep the floor at least once a day
- scrub the floor with hot soapy water at least once a week
- clean the blackboard at least once a day
- start the fire at 7am so that the room will be warm by 8am.
This is not 1915, this is 2009.

In the private sector, no teacher would hire on with a company that demanded them to adhere to those rules from 1915, you do not need a union to combat those rules, you just need competition in the private education community.

America's children are getting more and more ignorant, when we compare them to the rest of the world. The teacher's unions make sure poor teachers are never fired, and never held accountable. Too many schools are not even a place of safety for the students, much less actually teaching our children.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
This is not 1915, this is 2009.

In the private sector, no teacher would hire on with a company that demanded them to adhere to those rules from 1915, you do not need a union to combat those rules, you just need competition in the private education community.
Do you realize people died for the basic workers' rights you take for granted today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
America's children are getting more and more ignorant, when we compare them to the rest of the world. The teacher's unions make sure poor teachers are never fired, and never held accountable. Too many schools are not even a place of safety for the students, much less actually teaching our children.
More Than 200 Teachers Fired for Poor Performance, Lack of License|ABC 7 News

Old 06-24-2009, 01:14 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,986,759 times
Quote:
"ripostes"

He *is* clinging to his chains. Im not trying to sell him on unions, just reminding him he depends on an undependable master. He scoffed at the idea of pensions -- whether provided by a union or by his employer doesnt matter, he just wont have it. He's only 30 and has never known any better than the illusion of security, and the game of trying to maintain it, that he's experienced since he began working. To me that's worth a comment.
pat pat, nice doggie. These are not comments. They are cheesey obnoxious dismissals of a point of view with which you disagree, suggesting that they are somewhat less than educated or thought out.
IT appears to me that the ony one he is depending upon is HIMSELF, and who's more dependable than that? You want him to see the chains of a union as somehow providing more security than he can provide himself. And while unions MAY provide that for some, I see the cost of that as not worth paying. Like him, I'd rather count on no one else, and know going in that I have to provide for myself. I believe that counting on someone else, ANYONE else, be it a union or a government agency, for that security, and thinking they will provide it is the illusion.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:29 PM

37,199 posts, read 42,441,471 times
oh stop with the doggie talk. you people are silly

Old 06-24-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
pat pat, nice doggie. These are not comments. They are cheesey obnoxious dismissals of a point of view with which you disagree, suggesting that they are somewhat less than educated or thought out.
IT appears to me that the ony one he is depending upon is HIMSELF, and who's more dependable than that? You want him to see the chains of a union as somehow providing more security than he can provide himself. And while unions MAY provide that for some, I see the cost of that as not worth paying. Like him, I'd rather count on no one else, and know going in that I have to provide for myself. I believe that counting on someone else, ANYONE else, be it a union or a government agency, for that security, and thinking they will provide it is the illusion.
Nope, I wanted him to see that he is clinging to his chains. I already told you I wasnt pushing unions. He *is* counting on someone else besides himself.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:36 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,694,689 times
Quote:
"ripostes"

So basically, because you couldn't win your argument and resorted to illogical snippets of juvinile behavior you now wish to attempt to discredit my opinion because of my age?

Sir, please come down here off your high horse before you hurt yourself. In my short 30 years I have served our military, obtained a college education with a degree in Architecture, have fullfilled my required internship earning peanuts, tested for a state license, bought a business, and been assigned to managing multi-million dollar contracts.

If you wish to attempt to discredit my opinions because you don't understand the simple concepts of business, specifically that you are and always will be your own enterprise regardless of who you work for, then please do so on its merits rather than trying to discredit mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies