Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 09:01 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,226,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Unlike many, I do not believe the two are mutually exclusive (companies' bottom lines and workers and their families, that is.) Most workers in the world do not NEED protection, but have been convinced by some that without protection, their employer will beat, overwork, underpay and abuse them in whatever whay they can. I believe this to be untrue. I believe companies WANT to be profitable by supporting their local communities, and by putting those people to work. I believe that the nations LAWS about things like child labor and working conditions provide all the protection anyone needs, and that unions prey on peoples fears of being taken advantage of, and actually offer nothing that the employees need.
"You believe" but that doesnt make it true.

"Most workers in the world do not NEED protection, but have been convinced by some that without protection, their employer will beat, overwork, underpay and abuse them in whatever whay they can. I believe this to be untrue."

I believe it to be untrue too, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 09:47 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,496,595 times
Quote:
Originally posted by delusianne
There are plenty of nonintrusive unions - UE for example.
Oh, I know delu. I just think the UAW went a little overboard, IMO. I'm overall still pro-union.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:40 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,927,967 times
it's called a contract... many white collar professionals work under contracts as well... and if the contract states that pay must be given until the terms of the contract are fullfilled.. then that is what they have to do...
Granted, the governement should be re-evaluating the contracts... where if a teacher is removed from their job by misconduct.. it should void the contract...
Unions do hold a lot of power in this country, and many do more harm than good... but no union can attain anything that management isn't willing to give away to them...
so who should you really be mad at?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:01 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,057,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
It's evident that some of you don't understand private schools, or the voucher issue.

Voucher is NOT a means to get education for "cheap" as someone stated. That is an uninformed, skewed view. Vouchers offset the taxes that parents continue to pay for public schools when their kids are in private schools. It's really a tax credit in a sense.

There is nothing "exclusive" about private schools. Teachers are often underpaid, but very committed to the job esp. in Christian Schools. Education is better. Discipline is better. Values are actually taught. My experience. Your experience may be different.

A voucher program would create more competition for our public schools. They are afraid that they'd be left with no students...well...that means they have to try harder to deliver, don't they. Competition makes everyone better, and weeds out the mediocre ones. What's wrong with that.
Exactly ... Vouchers would also open the door to better educational opportunities for low income families who otherwise would not be able to afford other options. Many of our low performing public schools are in the inner cities and often times, parents have no other options but to send their children to the low performing schools in their areas. I've attended both private and inner city schools and there is a BIG difference in the quality. People complain that the vouchers system would essentially defund our public school system but what would likely happen is that the public schools would fight harder to deliver when there is competition. Since there is no competition now, the schools can get away with mediocre especially in the inner cities.

My support for vouchers is more for the benefit to low income families who children are languishing in our public school system and not the upper class children who already have those options.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:24 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,057,973 times
Quote:
Unlike many, I do not believe the two are mutually exclusive (companies' bottom lines and workers and their families, that is.) Most workers in the world do not NEED protection, but have been convinced by some that without protection, their employer will beat, overwork, underpay and abuse them in whatever whay they can. I believe this to be untrue. I believe companies WANT to be profitable by supporting their local communities, and by putting those people to work. I believe that the nations LAWS about things like child labor and working conditions provide all the protection anyone needs, and that unions prey on peoples fears of being taken advantage of, and actually offer nothing that the employees need.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:33 PM

38,272 posts, read 22,300,986 times
Quote:
I would argue that the vast majority of business owners want a company that employees love to work for, a community that appreciates it, and produce a product that consumers enjoy. But too many times the left wants us visualize all employers as Ebeneezer Scrooge and unions as Mother Teresa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies