Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 09:54 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,690,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I am retired...try English, no where did I say I worked at this place. But I've seen it done. But it was a way for you to avoid the issue....

No, companies do not value good employees because they know that they all are replaceable...so push and push, get what they can out of them, until they quit...it's JUST good business ( for them, NOT for business in general)..... new employees or Temps, are cheaper.
You have a very warped perception of the private sector. The case you make may be true for a minimum wage employee who is easily replaceable, however; in a position where your experience and knowledge is beneficial to the company and you are not easily replaceable, working conditions are quite nice.

Most private sector positions which require a minimum of a high school education value their employees contribution to the company and find retaining employees is imperative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
depends on what they consider a "good" employee, and how much productivity he/she can offer, for how long. Hope your company has a fat and iron-clad pension set up for you
Most of us living out here in reality don't have pensions, instead we are planning out own retirement and contributing to our own long term needs.

Pensions (see auto industry) bankrupt companies. Teachers I am sure are all for them though, regardless of the consequence.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:59 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,207,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Most of us living out here in reality don't have pensions, instead we are planning out own retirement and contributing to our own long term needs.
You sound like a real well-trained guard dog for your employer. What would you want with a pension to add your personal retirement fund to, or job protection in your later years? That's for workers who need a union. Those communists.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:20 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,850,629 times
Quote:
You sound like a real well-trained guard dog for your employer. What would you want with a pension to add your personal retirement fund to, or job protection in your later years? That's for workers who need a union. Those communists.
unions have always done great in this country. how are GM and chrysler doing again? oh, they make a **** poor product and they have no money? hmmmmm.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Why is it really anybodies responsibility to provide for me? I took this job knowing full well that the benefit of retirement funding is not there. For that reason, complaining about my evil employer not providing those benefits is utterly ridiculous.

The concept that somebody will continue to pay for you, indefinately, after you stop working for the company is absolutely astounding. We all work to provide for our own well being, and at the end of the day, that responsibilty falls squarely on our own shoulders. I am only 30 years old and have a signifcant amount of money saved for my long term needs. I count on no-one, nor trust anyone, to provide this to me.

Personal accountability used to mean something. Now its "me, me, me" using your guard dog, the government, to get what you need regardless of the consequences.

Thats sad.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:34 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,180,660 times
Quote:
You have a very warped perception of the private sector. The case you make may be true for a minimum wage employee who is easily replaceable, however; in a position where your experience and knowledge is beneficial to the company and you are not easily replaceable, working conditions are quite nice.

Most private sector positions which require a minimum of a high school education value their employees contribution to the company and find retaining employees is imperative.
""""The case you make may be true for a minimum wage employee who is easily replaceable, however; in a position where your experience and knowledge is beneficial to the company and you are not easily replaceable, working conditions are quite nice.""""

LOL! Why don't ya ask some of those white collar professionals about their jobs going to India...they might be good but they're too exspensive compared to people in other countries who can do the work JUST AS WELL, email it in, and get paid a fraction of their American counterpart....NOPE, companies do what is CHEAPEST..it's the AMERICAN way!!!

BTW, while upper management is planning to lose these expensive white collar people...how do you think they treat them??????

Old 06-24-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Why is it really anybodies responsibility to provide for me? I took this job knowing full well that the benefit of retirement funding is not there. For that reason, complaining about my evil employer not providing those benefits is utterly ridiculous.

The concept that somebody will continue to pay for you, indefinately, after you stop working for the company is absolutely astounding. We all work to provide for our own well being, and at the end of the day, that responsibilty falls squarely on our own shoulders. I am only 30 years old and have a signifcant amount of money saved for my long term needs. I count on no-one, nor trust anyone, to provide this to me.

Personal accountability used to mean something. Now its "me, me, me" using your guard dog, the government, to get what you need regardless of the consequences.

Thats sad.
nice doggie >pat pat<

Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
""""The case you make may be true for a minimum wage employee who is easily replaceable, however; in a position where your experience and knowledge is beneficial to the company and you are not easily replaceable, working conditions are quite nice.""""

LOL! Why don't ya ask some of those white collar professionals about their jobs going to India...they might be good but they're too exspensive compared to people in other countries who can do the work JUST AS WELL, email it in, and get paid a fraction of their American counterpart....NOPE, companies do what is CHEAPEST..it's the AMERICAN way!!!

BTW, while upper management is planning to lose these expensive white collar people...how do you think they treat them??????
And you act as if employers do whats "right" regardless of pay. News flash, employees seek the MOST money for their contribution too. Its the American way. Somehow though, you and others have managed to bring this concept of capitalism to the forefront as though its some sort of evil that corporations are out to make money.

When I left my last job for my current position, my old boss explained it best.

He stated that we are all our own individual business. Throughout our lives, we obtain education, experience, and knowledge in an effort ot market ourselves to corporations, businesses and clients in order to make money. In taking a position at a company, you are leasing your value to that corporation to make a profit off of you. In turn, you agree to the value of your skills and accept compensation. Employment is nothing more than a business contract. If at any time I feel that the values I am selling are undervalued, then its my right and duty exclusivly to market myself and engage an a different or additional contract to earn what I feel is my worth. On the same token, if the business you are selling your skills to feel that you are not worth the price they are paying, or are sacrificing profitability, then that company can and should terminate the contract as well.

Its all about worth in the market. This idea that you are "owed" something by working for somebody simply because you engaged in a contract that was below your worth is ridiculous. Unions only reinforce forcing employors and customers to pay something that they don't feel is valued.

If your industry is being outsourced to India, then its time to consider your market value on a world rather than a national front.

How the business that buys you treats you is a non-issue. Its a business. Its not touchy feely, its business.

Stop acting like anybody owes you something. Figure out how to manage your own business which is yourself.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
nice doggie >pat pat<
LOL. Im not the one sitting around bitching about corporations and companies on an internet forum. Instead, I am taking the steps necessary to ensure my own future. I suggest you try the same.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
LOL. Im not the one sitting around bitching about corporations and companies on an internet forum. Instead, I am taking the steps necessary to ensure my own future. I suggest you try the same.
"Grrrrrr! Dont you dare try to unhook my chain!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies