Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2009, 02:56 PM

24,469 posts, read 33,154,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Lol...I didn't expect you to be objective on this matter. Who signed those bills by the way?
Don't forget we had fiscal responsibility and it wasn't by a Republican.
How is posting facts not being objective? If Reagan didn't sign the bills, the government would have shut down like it did briefly in the '90s when Republicans refused to sign pork-laden Democrat spending bills.

When did we have fiscal responsibility? The national debt grew under Clinton, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 02:59 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,827,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
How is posting facts not being objective? If Reagan didn't sign the bills, the government would have shut down like it did briefly in the '90s when Republicans refused to sign pork-laden Democrat spending bills.

When did we have fiscal responsibility? The national debt grew under Clinton, too.
Got some links pertaining to Reagan? Do we reaaly need to post that national debt chart for you again?

Old 06-30-2009, 03:06 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,581,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california_is_superior View Post
The Progressive Review..here I go again folks..another impartial media outlet...good grief..shall I say it again....ZERO CREDIBILITY. If left wing loons lost points everytime they said something that diminished their credibility..right about now they would be at minus infinity.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:34 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,350,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I don't give a rat's ass what he may or may not have done for our economy. He used American tax dollars to torture and kill innocent people. Murder by the thousands is murder by thousands, no matter how many years have passed.

Also, if you're going to critique another's grammar, spelling and punctuation, you might take a look at your own, genius.

Finally, I can't decide what is more annoying about your posts--you're over eager lap-dog attitude about Reagan, or your condescension. I'll think about it and get back to you.
Come on rebuke it, you know you want to.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:32 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,350,508 times
Default A friendly reminder

Quote:
High taxes, we are told, are somehow good for us, as if, when government spends our money it isn't inflationary, but when we spend it, it is.

Those who preside over the worst energy shortage in our history tell us to use less, so that we will run out of oil, gasoline, and natural gas a little more slowly. Conservation is desirable, of course, for we must not waste energy. But conservation is not the sole answer to our energy needs. America must get to work producing more energy. The Republican program for solving economic problems is based on growth and productivity. Large amounts of oil and natural gas lay beneath our land and off our shores, untouched because the present administration seems to believe the American people would rather see more regulation, taxes and controls than more energy.

Coal offers great potential. So does nuclear energy produced under rigorous safety standards. It could supply electricity for thousands of industries and millions of jobs and homes. It must not be thwarted by a tiny minority opposed to economic growth which often finds friendly ears in regulatory agencies for its obstructionist campaigns. Make no mistake. We will not permit the safety of our people or our environment heritage to be jeopardized, but we are going to reaffirm that the economic prosperity of our people is a fundamental part of our environment.

Our problems are both acute and chronic, yet all we hear from those in positions of leadership are the same tired proposals for more government tinkering, more meddling and more control -- all of which led us to this state in the first place.
American Rhetoric

Old 07-04-2009, 08:53 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,614,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Liberals want to ignore the necessity of a "bridge" to energy independence, and would rather just drown in the river of non-productivity.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:34 PM

24,469 posts, read 33,154,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Got some links pertaining to Reagan? Do we reaaly need to post that national debt chart for you again?
If you knew about the Reagan era and Reaganomics, I wouldn't have to post links.

As for the national debt chart I will again point out the fact that the Democrat-controlled Congress spent, on average, 2.8% more than Reagan asked. And a cumulative 24.5% more during Reagan's 8 years in office.

Last edited by Fleet; 07-04-2009 at 03:42 PM..

Old 07-04-2009, 03:27 PM

785 posts, read 1,046,974 times
Reagan will always be a hypocryte in my book. He was a staunch opponent of totalitarian regimes when they were against the Soviet Union, but supported so many anti-democratic groups. He supported death squads during the Salvadorean civil war after they had murdered 6 Jesuits, killed archbishop Oscar Romero and raped and murdered 4 American church woman. He supported Efrain Rios-Montt, the Guatemala dictator that carried out a scorched earth (he calls it scorthed earth but it sounds like genocide to me) policy against the country's Mayan population. In Nicaragua he funded the Contras with money obtained through selling guns to Iran in their war against Iraq (remember that Sadamn Hussein was still America's friend in these days) and cocaine trafficing. The Contras were ex-members of Anistazio Samoza's dictatorship that were trying to fight their way back in power after Daniel Ortega and the Sandanistas overthrew his government. This guy (Samoza) is such a crook that when an earthquake devestated Managua and foreign aid began to roll in, he put the money in his own bank account. He also restored foreign aid to Agusto Pinochet in Chile after Carter had previously cut it. Don't even get me started on this wacko nutjob terrorist. He killed and dissapeared thousands of people, he killed Chile's previous democraticlly elected president, Salvador Allende, and evidince is comming out supporting the claim that he killed the Chilean president who held office previous to Allende, Eduardo Frei. He did things like kill political opponents, tie their bodies to pieces of railroad track and dumped them in the ocean (a few of these bodies have washed ashore). Also, Pinochet ran an orgainization called DINA. This organization basically followed Pinochet's political opponents throughout the world and assasinated them. The DINA was the last organization to carry out a terrorist attack in Washington D.C. before 9/11, when it put a carbomb in Orlando Letelier's (Chilean-American that was an ex-diplomat of Allende and an international development expert) car killing him and his colleague Ronnie Moffit, an American. Last but not least, Reagan financed the Mujahideen and praised them as freedom fighers because they drove the Soviet Union out of Afghanistan. After the Soviets left, many key members of the Mujahideen, including Osama Bin Laden, formed an orgainization called Al-Qaeda. We all know how this story ends. I will never forgive Reagan for helping these terrorist sons of *******!

Old 07-04-2009, 03:49 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,013,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
In Nicaragua he funded the Contras with money obtained through selling guns to Iran in their war against Iraq (remember that Saddam Hussein was still America's friend in these days) and cocaine trafficking.
Iran-Contra was about Israel selling arms for the US to insurgents that were against the Ayatollah in Iran.

Going by Reagan's personality and how he treated various situations, I find it hard to believe that he was even told some of the details of what he was signing off on. He surronded himself with early neo-Conservatives who took advantage of Reagan's charisma and popularity with the American people to push their own agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
After the Soviets left, many key members of the Mujaheddin, including Osama Bin Laden, formed an organization called Al-Qaeda. We all know how this story ends. I will never forgive Reagan for helping these terrorist sons of *******!
It was not until Unocal (Chevron) announced they were going to build a pipeline in Afghanistan that Bin Laden began targeting the US. That was the motive behind the embassy bombings in Africa in 1998. And of course we had the bombing of the USS Cole and 9/11 soon after, for which Bin Laden blamed American interference in Middle Eastern affairs as his motive..

Old 07-04-2009, 04:14 PM

785 posts, read 1,046,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Iran-Contra was about Israel selling arms for the US to insurgents that were against the Ayatollah in Iran. Going by Reagan's personality and how he treated various situations, I find it hard to believe that he was even told some of the details of what he was signing off on. He surronded himself with early neo-Conservatives who took advantage of Reagan's charisma and popularity with the American people to push their own agenda.It was not until Unocal (Chevron) announced they were going to build a pipeline in Afghanistan that Bin Laden began targeting the US. That was the motive behind the embassy bombings in Africa in 1998. And of course we had the bombing of the USS Cole and 9/11 soon after, for which Bin Laden blamed American interference in Middle Eastern affairs as his motive..
Iran-Contra began with Israel selling arms to Iran with the U.S. reciving the payment, but it ended up with the U.S. selling arms to Iran and diverting the profits to the Contras.
Iran–Contra affair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't doubt what you said about Reagan not realizing what was going on. I remember that he went on TV and said that we didn't trade arms for hostages, but later he went on TV and said that something like he "wants to believe we didn't sell arms for hostages but the evidence suggests otherwise." (I probably didn't remember it word for word but it was something like that) However, the President is breifed by the CIA every day; he should have been reading his daily breifs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies