Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:52 PM

491 posts, read 925,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Rep point to you for your honesty.
You tried to antagonize me in another thread, so I do not trust your goodwill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 11:54 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Hmm. Guess it depends on your definition of "strange". I feel like there's more room for colorful personalities in the Democratic Party. That's just another reason why I don't care for the Republican Party. I feel like there are too many rules and restrictions on personal behavior, both natural and chosen.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:04 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
I see the fallout of the party as a good and productive thing, because it allows them to rebuild themselves on a more inclusive, modern, and moderate platform. At least, that's what I hope will happen. They just need to get rid of the extremist/racist/right-wing/evangelical element and it'll all be good.
Really now .. What's in a name?

What I see going on is the strengthening of the independent party as regular common sense Republicans flee the Republican party in droves.

I should know .. I voted Republican for years, and I, like my peers, are willing to give the name up to those extreme right wing scoffs ...

The independent base is growing at an alarming rate this year, regardless of what either of the left or right wing media might be saying.

Bush bailed big time, and even democrats that have got any good sense are beginning to question their blind affiliation with their own party.
The Democrats aren't leaving their party as quickly as the Republicans are leaving theirs, but the move is still evident.

I think we are all just tired. I think that we can only take so much of this "arm out & leg up" crap that DC keeps throwing at us.

Obama spoke of change, and as I see it, he is showing all of us that true change may only come with the advent of an independent party.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:11 AM

413 posts, read 562,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Tonight, Chris Matthews looked genuinely puzzled, and wondered why the Republican Party has so many "strange" people in its vanguard. Palin, Jindal, Rohrbacher, Sanford, Ensign--all decidedly "strange" people.

Not to mention its "base":

GOP Women's Group In MD: 'Obama And Hitler Have A Great Deal In Common'

What is wrong with these people? How can people be so insanely hateful?

And the Republican Party wonders why it lost the election and continues to shrink. . . .
Matthews is as strange as they come. I wonder if his thighs still tingle for Obama?

Old 06-24-2009, 12:13 AM

7,359 posts, read 10,277,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
It is extreme and, IMHO, out of place, to be sure, but I'm not sure I would call it "hateful." They are just trying to attach a negative connotation onto BO, and that has been done throughout America's political history, regardless of whether it's Dems or Repubs.

I agree that the Republican base is leaps and bounds above the Dems when it comes to these things, but I think that is why they are where they are now. The party is splintering severely because there are too many interests and perspectives competing for domination. I see the fallout of the party as a good and productive thing, because it allows them to rebuild themselves on a more inclusive, modern, and moderate platform. At least, that's what I hope will happen. They just need to get rid of the extremist/racist/right-wing/evangelical element and it'll all be good.
I, too, welcome a Republican Party with a sane base.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Really now .. What's in a name?

What I see going on is the strengthening of the independent party as regular common sense Republicans flee the Republican party in droves.

I should know .. I voted Republican for years, and I, like my peers, are willing to give the name up to those extreme right wing scoffs ...

The independent base is growing at an alarming rate this year, regardless of what either of the left or right wing media might be saying.

Bush bailed big time, and even democrats that have got any good sense are beginning to question their blind affiliation with their own party.
The Democrats aren't leaving their party as quickly as the Republicans are leaving theirs, but the move is still evident.

I think we are all just tired. I think that we can only take so much of this "arm out & leg up" crap that DC keeps throwing at us.

Obama spoke of change, and as I see it, he is showing all of us that true change may only come with the advent of an independent party.
I always saw the Dems as the lesser of the two evils, but there are plenty of issues within the Democratic Party that I do not concur with. At this point, I truly consider myself an Independent. I have found the Dems to be far too centrist, appeasing, and status-quo oriented for my political tastes.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
I, too, welcome a Republican Party with a sane base.
Only time will tell. Meghan McCain may have started a move in the right direction (or left, I should say).

Old 06-24-2009, 12:41 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yes/no View Post
Matthews is as strange as they come. I wonder if his thighs still tingle for Obama?
This is a great example of why I'm not comfortable with many in the Republican Party: They seem to enjoy making fun of anyone who's unusual or quirky, which is really just a reflection of their own discomfort with anyone who's different.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
This is a great example of why I'm not comfortable with many in the Republican Party: They seem to enjoy making fun of anyone who's unusual or quirky, which is really just a reflection of their own discomfort with anyone who's different.
The Dems do it, too. They're just not as open about it because it's not expected of them.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:57 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,018,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittanifoxx View Post
It's certainly an embarrassment to Hitler. What has Obama done??? Has he lifted his nation up from poverty and oppression? Has he unified a nation? Lifted it up from economic collapse? Obama is nowhere near a Hitler.
your bigotry and hatred and stupidty is showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies