Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the GOP remove social issues from the party platform?
No way! The GOP should focus on social issues even MORE than fiscal issues. 0 0%
Yes. The GOP should focus on fiscal issues and drop the social issues. 22 53.66%
The GOP should continue to focus on both moral and fiscal issues. 9 21.95%
I don't care what the GOP does. 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 01:15 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,038,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Half yes, half no.

They may be overstepping the boundaries now in some areas more than they used to, but there are many things that used to be legislated (adultery is one example) that are no longer.
Interesting perspective. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 01:16 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,452,456 times
Hot on the heels of the news that SC Gov. Sanford was really banging his mistress instead of hiking when he went AWOL - on top of the other doozies recently - I'd say steering from social issues might be a good idea.

But yeah, family values.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:17 PM

491 posts, read 924,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I think they should focus more on social issues and go even further to the right so they can continue to lose votes.
We need the GOP, just in a different form.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:22 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,504,342 times
Quote:
Where would their votes come from?

From me, maybe.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:27 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,705,929 times
No, just because people fail to live up to the ideal doesn't mean we should reduce the ideal. Nobody can attain perfection but it doesn't mean it is not a worth while goal. For example Obama rightfully says smoking is bad people shouldn't do yet Obama smokes. Should we forget about trying to get people to quit?

Old 06-24-2009, 01:30 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,049,040 times
Lasiez-Faire has proven time after time it fails and 'social' issues like abortion, gay marriage, and stem-cell research have no place in politics

Old 06-24-2009, 01:33 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,599,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
For example Obama rightfully says smoking is bad people shouldn't do yet Obama smokes. Should we forget about trying to get people to quit?
Most people don't see smoking as a moral issue.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:36 PM

220 posts, read 647,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godsavethequeens View Post
Of course they should. But the GOP will lose constituents and supporters, and thus financial backing, if they choose to.

I believe the GOP's identity is tied to conservative social issues, and that is a difficult association to shake.
Losing their financial backing is exacty what would happen. Older folks are still VERY conservative on moral issues and they would certainly lose those votes as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Remove social issues completely? Nope. But focus on them less and open the door more to those who do not conform to the platform on the social issues? Absolutely.
Completely agreed. I voted for them to continue to do both because that was the closest option to how i feel, while i personally dont care for the moral outlook of the party, i realize how many do. This is exactly what has me rethinking my party lines and thinking more independently.

Quote:
I think they should focus more on social issues and go even further to the right so they can continue to lose votes.
And what give American's even less choice then they have right now? Of course that would come out of the mouth of a liberal....

Old 06-24-2009, 01:44 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,504,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Most people don't see smoking as a moral issue.

I agree but the point is the same. The thread suggests that republicans stop pushing moral issues when some republicans obviously have a hard time following them themselves. Or, being hypocritical in other words.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:48 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,752,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoenlacabeza View Post

And what give American's even less choice then they have right now? Of course that would come out of the mouth of a liberal....
You say liberal like it's a bad thing.
In any case, I'd much rather the party be taken over by the Libertarian party but I doubt it will happen so I'll keep hating the Republican Party as much as they hate me.

Americans have plenty of choice when it comes to parties, they just CHOOSE to vote for Democrats and Republicans the majority of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies