Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 05:05 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Are you serious? Ensign was faith-based. Sanford was faith-based. Foley was faith-based. Craig was faith-based.

Faith-based anything just leads to failure and confusion. Use your head, man. Not fairy tales.
Religion is everything that is wrong with the world. When was the last time we heard of an atheist strapping a bomb to his chest? Or an atheist invading a third world country to spread freedom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 05:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Religion is everything that is wrong with the world. When was the last time we heard of an atheist strapping a bomb to his chest? Or an atheist invading a third world country to spread freedom?
I couldn't disagree more. I think religion is an incredible mixed bad, it is the foundation for both good and evil. Even secularist such as myself recognize that morality, where ever it arises is based upon religious precepts.

Oh, by the way, a lot of nasty things have been carried out in the name of man.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:36 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Sigh….

“So you are saying simply that right and wrong is just a matter majority support to such?”

Why must you always attempt to simplify or is that the only way that you can grasps larger and more complex subjects? Once again, morality is social contract not an immutable law.

“Call it moral universalism or statistical correlation,” let’s not because neither you nor I have any clue as to what you are describing. Moral universalism, statistical correlation! What you are your going on about, a search for .25 cent expressions without a dimes worth of meaning?

“is the belief that right and wrong is simply a matter of having the most support to a particular belief.”

Look I don’t have as much free time as you apparently have so try a little reading on the meaning of morality.

The Definition of Morality (Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy)

“We can argue all day about validity of religion,”

We haven’t even begun to discuss the validity or invalidity of religion must less argue about it, so your argument that I believe that religion is false is purely presumptive on your part. Again an attempt to simplify a much more complex view point.

“In the end, one is a devotion to an absolute and the other is a devotion to social change”

What devotion to an absolute do you refer to since as I have pointed out ad nauseum that the Christian faith of today is not the Christian faith of 50 years ago much less 3,000. Why you are in denial of this is beyond my comprehension.

“An absolute system, such as some religions prescribe requires first that those who contest violate its tenants and through majority force change among it.”

So, stoning a raped woman is moral because of in doing so they adhere to an absolute system?

“Personally, I see it as an open door for justification of any action because its primary requirement to validation is merely agreement. A society can eat its own children and by the process to which you hold to, it would be correct if the majority deemed it so.”

Just out of curiosity, would it be immoral for an isolated nomadic tribe, snowbound and inextricably mired in a blizzard to kill the dying to feed the young in order to avoid the tribes very extinction?

“In the system you describe, contest is only valid when enough agree to form a majority and overrule while in the absolute system, contest is valid until that majority overpowers them.”

Again you can’t have it both ways.

If you are free to pursue whatever you think is morally right, why do you deny this right to others?

You yourself pointed out that slavery was not only legally sanctioned but sanctioned by the morality of the church. Yet it was overthrown and a new morality put in its place. Would you care to reconcile those two contradictory points?
You have cut my responses up, taken them out of context and inserted summaries to suit your own direction.

You are long overdue for ignore, I have tolerated your poor arguments in many threads, but I think we are done. You argue deviously or through ignorance. Either way, speaking to you is a waste of time.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:49 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
If true Christian principals are practiced, then religion is perfect. I dare anyone to discredit what I just said. It can't be done. Christianity's and America's only threat is itself.

I invite anyone to research the entire Christian doctrine and show where the above statement is incorrect. You must not involve man's rules, just the doctrines of the New Testament.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:07 AM

37,169 posts, read 19,194,865 times
^ Precisely what Mohandas Ghandi thought when he read the NT, and he was one of the few who ever had the audacity to try to live his life according to its precepts.

He never converted from Hinduism, but he most certainly was a practicing Christian. He consideredf himself a Hindu, a Christian, a Moslem, and a Jew inn one pckage.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:27 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You have cut my responses up, taken them out of context and inserted summaries to suit your own direction.
Hardly.

Quote:
You argue deviously or through ignorance. Either way, speaking to you is a waste of time.
I post with citations, you post with random and rambling gibberish. If I were you I would withdraw from the conversation as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies