Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 01:07 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
So who decides which is such? You? A majority? If a majority thinks you should die, are they correct? Should we kill you because they think so? Would that be a moral corectness if the majority decided as such? What makes it wrong if not? Why should you live if the majority deems your living wrong?
Who decide? The same folks who have always decided.

Social mores, now and in the past, have always been arrived at by consensus. Judaic laws, may have been pronounced from on high, but their acceptance had to adopted through the will of the majority. The same for Christianity, Islam or secular morality, at some point, someone, had to convince the majority that whatever moral code they were living under was not as good, just, or effective rules for human social organization.

Morality constantly evolves, even your precious Christianity has evolved leaving whole sections of "gods law" left on the editing floor has Christians over the last 3000 years have picked and chosen those laws which fit within a modern society and those that don't.

You see, even the Bible isn't immutable and is subject to consensus.

So who decides, the majority, they always have and always will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 01:29 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
President Kennedy & Clinton, Senator Kennedy, Governor Patton (KY), Governor Spitzer (NY), Governor Sanford (SC), Senator Larry Craig, Congressman Frank, Jesse Jackson, even the revered Martin Luther King, Jr

King David? the other person you mentioned we know existed. Is there any historical evidence outside of the old testament that King David actually existed?

Old 06-27-2009, 01:42 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
So what moral system do you prescribe to? What defines right and wrong and why is your opinion on that more valid than another who may disagree with you?
When it comes to morals, I don't have to read about it somewhere to know what is wrong or right. And certainly not a doctrine with many contradictions. To be moral is to walk the talk. Few seem to do that. Discriminate, if you're okay being discriminated. Judge, if you're okay being judged...

King David wasn't a Christian. What makes him any more moral than someone who is an Atheist, Agnostic, Jew, Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist...

Old 06-27-2009, 01:43 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I grew up Baptist also, and what you just posted is a lot of the reason I quit being one thirty years ago.

The Baptists are not chosen to be God's Right Hand, nor do they exclusively own the key for the lock on Heaven's Door. Someone should tell them so.
Nobody said they were. Yet nobody will enter through the toleration of sin. One who tolerates sin accepts sin and those who accept sin do not accept God.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

So who decides, the majority, they always have and always will.
So your morality is based on the mob?

Old 06-27-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
When it comes to morals, I don't have to read about it somewhere to know what is wrong or right. And certainly not a doctrine with many contradictions. To be moral is to walk the talk. Few seem to do that. Discriminate, if you're okay being discriminated. Judge, if you're okay being judged...

King David wasn't a Christian. What makes him any more moral than someone who is an Atheist, Agnostic, Jew, Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist...

Why are you correct though? What makes your "knowing what is right and wrong" correct and another that conflicts with yours invalid?

Is pointing out theft when someone steals judging? Is not tolerating (accepting) sin judging?

Old 06-27-2009, 02:21 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Why are you correct though? What makes your "knowing what is right and wrong" correct and another that conflicts with yours invalid?

Is pointing out theft when someone steals judging? Is not tolerating (accepting) sin judging?
Making it a matter of being correct would be egoistical. It is not that, but a more logical approach on whether one is ready to put self in other person's shoes, and avoid being a hypocrite. Let me ask you. Do you believe in personal accountability? Or, do you believe in a mob mentality, that what a bunch decides for you is the way to go about doing things.

Judging is based on assumptions around morality, that the ways you've been indoctrinated is the only way to do things. And that everybody else is going to hell (and to make things worse, you choose to tell them what they should or shouldn't do with THEIR life).

Old 06-27-2009, 02:28 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
In our nation's plight, I am struggling to find the words to explain how I feel about King David, President Kennedy & Clinton, Senator Kennedy, Governor Patton (KY), Governor Spitzer (NY), Governor Sanford (SC), Senator Larry Craig, Congressman Frank, Jesse Jackson, even the revered Martin Luther King, Jr all have committed sexual misconduct. I don't exclude myself from the list, for I too have failed in my life.

Why did I fail? I don't know. I can't throw a stone at the men above, but I can hold them to higher standards than they have lived because they asked us to trust them as leaders of our land or movements. I know where I failed, and I don't judge them for their sinfulness, I judge them for their leadership and the failure to be honest with themselves, with their families, their colleagues, and the people who entrusted them, often based on their pronouncements of faith.

As a nation, we have left our Judeo-Christian standards. It's not about evangelizing or church membership, its about being true to what we believe. There is plenty of room for people of all religions and faiths, but there is no room and therefore in my opinion, little tolerance for those who don't live within the terms of their faith. Not my faith, but their faith. I believe God approves of my faith, and I would hope others would recognize the love and forgiveness Christ shares and promises those who will only believe in Him.

The Holy Bible and most denominations and religions all teach against the painful lifestyles we have come to accept in America. Murder, Drugs, Sex, Robbery, Theft, and Greed are all dealt with in the Bible and I understand most other faith guides. None, not one that I have heard of, condones what we are tolerating in our governments.

Governor Sanford, I believe that just as I believe Christ might have heard a cry from Hitler for mercy, you can be heard, too. Whether the people will hear you or not, only time will tell, but there is Hope for those who will turn.
Goodness no. Religion is the last thing we need in government. I challenge you to name one religious morality based system of government that has had sovereignty over any large group of people/area that has not turned its jurisdiction into a hellhole of fear, repression, and persecution there are not any.

Not Iran, not Afghanistan, not medieval Europe, nor puritan Massachusetts not one.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Making it a matter of being correct would be egoistical. It is not that, but a more logical approach on whether one is ready to put self in other person's shoes, and avoid being a hypocrite. Let me ask you. Do you believe in personal accountability? Or, do you believe in a mob mentality, that what a bunch decides for you is the way to go about doing things.

Judging is based on assumptions around morality, that the ways you've been indoctrinated is the only way to do things. And that everybody else is going to hell (and to make things worse, you choose to tell them what they should or shouldn't do with THEIR life).
You didn't answer my question. Which one is correct? You can not stand on the fence with this. Either one person is right and the other person is wrong. So which one is right? Are you saying the one who applies logic is? What if the logical person makes an argument that does not consider another? That is, what if it was the logical choice to decimate the population to solve problems with hunger, resource shortage, etc.. Logically it would make sense to lessen the population. Is it right because it is logical? What makes it right? Again, why is your opinion more valid than another?

Answer those questions and I will answer yours.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:05 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Hard to follow? So you are not educated in the concepts of logic, philosophy and the like? Or is it simply that you have dove into a subject that is above your head, one that you arrogantly attempt to proclaim understanding, but like most children have no understanding of? Let me save us the trouble. You have spent this time proclaiming me wrong, yet never offering an intelligent response of contest. Go back to school, educate yourself on the topics you wish to discuss. You are not ready for this, your opinoin is based on an ignorant understanding of the issues. You could have approached this honest, but you chose to be arrogant and arrogant often are ignorant in the topics they speak.

I will place you on ignore as it is likely you will not educate yourself and continue to dive into the realms of ingornace to suit your personal needds to appeal to your own ego. Enjoy the swim!
Suit yourself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies