Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:03 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times

Advertisements

In our nation's plight, I am struggling to find the words to explain how I feel about King David, President Kennedy & Clinton, Senator Kennedy, Governor Patton (KY), Governor Spitzer (NY), Governor Sanford (SC), Senator Larry Craig, Congressman Frank, Jesse Jackson, even the revered Martin Luther King, Jr all have committed sexual misconduct. I don't exclude myself from the list, for I too have failed in my life.

Why did I fail? I don't know. I can't throw a stone at the men above, but I can hold them to higher standards than they have lived because they asked us to trust them as leaders of our land or movements. I know where I failed, and I don't judge them for their sinfulness, I judge them for their leadership and the failure to be honest with themselves, with their families, their colleagues, and the people who entrusted them, often based on their pronouncements of faith.

As a nation, we have left our Judeo-Christian standards. It's not about evangelizing or church membership, its about being true to what we believe. There is plenty of room for people of all religions and faiths, but there is no room and therefore in my opinion, little tolerance for those who don't live within the terms of their faith. Not my faith, but their faith. I believe God approves of my faith, and I would hope others would recognize the love and forgiveness Christ shares and promises those who will only believe in Him.

The Holy Bible and most denominations and religions all teach against the painful lifestyles we have come to accept in America. Murder, Drugs, Sex, Robbery, Theft, and Greed are all dealt with in the Bible and I understand most other faith guides. None, not one that I have heard of, condones what we are tolerating in our governments.

Governor Sanford, I believe that just as I believe Christ might have heard a cry from Hitler for mercy, you can be heard, too. Whether the people will hear you or not, only time will tell, but there is Hope for those who will turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 04:33 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times
The sooner we get rid of faith-based thinking, the better.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:16 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,312,676 times
Default Tell me why you feel that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
The sooner we get rid of faith-based thinking, the better.
I gave you good reason to return to faith based people in our governments, not a faith-based government, but a government with people who have faith to guide them.

Why don't you tell me why you feel what you do? Just one caveat, please stop and think about your words before you write.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:19 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
In our nation's plight, I am struggling to find the words to explain how I feel about King David, President Kennedy & Clinton, Senator Kennedy, Governor Patton (KY), Governor Spitzer (NY), Governor Sanford (SC), Senator Larry Craig, Congressman Frank, Jesse Jackson, even the revered Martin Luther King, Jr all have committed sexual misconduct. I don't exclude myself from the list, for I too have failed in my life.

Why did I fail? I don't know. I can't throw a stone at the men above, but I can hold them to higher standards than they have lived because they asked us to trust them as leaders of our land or movements. I know where I failed, and I don't judge them for their sinfulness, I judge them for their leadership and the failure to be honest with themselves, with their families, their colleagues, and the people who entrusted them, often based on their pronouncements of faith.

As a nation, we have left our Judeo-Christian standards. It's not about evangelizing or church membership, its about being true to what we believe. There is plenty of room for people of all religions and faiths, but there is no room and therefore in my opinion, little tolerance for those who don't live within the terms of their faith. Not my faith, but their faith. I believe God approves of my faith, and I would hope others would recognize the love and forgiveness Christ shares and promises those who will only believe in Him.

The Holy Bible and most denominations and religions all teach against the painful lifestyles we have come to accept in America. Murder, Drugs, Sex, Robbery, Theft, and Greed are all dealt with in the Bible and I understand most other faith guides. None, not one that I have heard of, condones what we are tolerating in our governments.

Governor Sanford, I believe that just as I believe Christ might have heard a cry from Hitler for mercy, you can be heard, too. Whether the people will hear you or not, only time will tell, but there is Hope for those who will turn.
I just puked in my mouth a little...

judeo-christian principles??? you've got to be kidding me.. what a joke
religion is what is wrong with this country...

Old 06-24-2009, 05:23 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post

religion is what is wrong with the whole stinking world, without it we'd have nothing to hate each other for....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:27 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post

So what moral system do you prescribe to? What defines right and wrong and why is your opinion on that more valid than another who may disagree with you?

Old 06-24-2009, 05:31 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
religion is what is wrong with the whole stinking world, without it we'd have nothing to hate each other for....
Really, because atheist do not hate each other for any reason? Are atheist of a unifying principal of belief to where they do not differ on any subject and therefore act in perfect harmony, a collective of thought? Can atheist not be racist, bigots? Do they never commit hateful actions such as murder or rape? That really is interesting.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:40 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
you don't need faith to know right from wrong

Old 06-24-2009, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
So what moral system do you prescribe to? What defines right and wrong and why is your opinion on that more valid than another who may disagree with you?
The same question applies to you. Why is your moral code any better than any other? Faith-based thinking doesn't solve that problem.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomocox View Post
I gave you good reason to return to faith based people in our governments, not a faith-based government, but a government with people who have faith to guide them.

Why don't you tell me why you feel what you do? Just one caveat, please stop and think about your words before you write.
Are you serious? Ensign was faith-based. Sanford was faith-based. Foley was faith-based. Craig was faith-based.

Faith-based anything just leads to failure and confusion. Use your head, man. Not fairy tales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies