Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Racial Profiling Good or Bad?
Yes, Tak 20 74.07%
No, Nie 8 29.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 03:37 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times

Advertisements

Profiling in some ways I do not think is wrong. I did not put racial for a reason.

We all profile in some form or another. We are selective in dealing with people for so many reasons. When the profiling is based on some general tendency on a group. That tendency can be good or bad.

We may not call it profiling but companies may do survey and make products based on what the surveys and stats may indicate so a car may be designed to a certain type of group.

Insurance companies may charge different rates to different age groups. Is that fair? No it is not. However, it is good business practice because they paid more on teens that older people. That does not mean there are no reckless adults and no responsible teens. They have to use something as a guide.

The same applies in some cases to racial profiling. Fair? No. I do not agree with it. Practical? In some cases it is.

To me in some ways it is weird but at the same time in the ball park. I will give an example.

I was an instructor in an Army school for four years. I notice students seating preferences throught the years as new classes arrived.

One day I told my peers that thought other subjects that I was going to predict where the joker of the class was going to sit, where sharpshooter was going to sit, where quiet one was going to sit, where the genious of the class was going to sit, where the one that likes to argue was going to sit and where those two that just be joking and teasing each other all day.
Well, guess what I was correct one hundred percent!! I felt weird that I was correct and my peers were simply amazed I was correct. They could not argue my observation because they also remember the previous groups and we started to name students where they sat and the type they were.

Interesting.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 05:03 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
I think it's human nature. You see a rabbit eat your carrots one day, then the next day and the day after that. On the fourth day when your carrots are missing who are you going to look for? And when you're surrounded by rabbits you start looking at all of them. Clearly just an example subtracting race.

Oh and I also agree totally with Tin. Almost nobodies an innocent bystander.
Of course only making your observations during the day time keep you from seeing the raccoons eating your carrots at night.

Old 06-27-2009, 10:20 AM

711 posts, read 2,107,950 times
Yes, racial profiling is GREAT. And I mean that.

I get so sick and tired of seeing the studies being presented negatively that blacks are pulled over more than whites.

I hate to get in to a debate with a moron who can't accept facts as a proper argument, but blacks make up something like 12-15% of the population and 70% of the prison population.

This is coming from ME, a rap fan (HUGE 2pac fan) - they want to dress like thugs, with their pants hanging down and their boxers hanging out 8 inches. They want to wear huge chains, drive cars with huge rims, emulating every move that their hero drug-dealer-turned-rapper-AND-drug-dealer makes, but then get mad when the police suspect them of something?

If I saw a black guy wearing a suit and tie driving a Mercedes at 55 in a 25 mph zone, and a white guy wearing a bandana, driving a car from the early 90s with 22" rims on it and lifted 2 feet in the air doing the same thing, I'm pulling over the white guy. Period.

And the crybaby middle easterners who just cant understand the TSA checking them more thoroughly than the white family from Oregon is just amazing to me.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:34 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
Yes, racial profiling is GREAT. And I mean that.

I get so sick and tired of seeing the studies being presented negatively that blacks are pulled over more than whites.

I hate to get in to a debate with a moron who can't accept facts as a proper argument, but blacks make up something like 12-15% of the population and 70% of the prison population.

This is coming from ME, a rap fan (HUGE 2pac fan) - they want to dress like thugs, with their pants hanging down and their boxers hanging out 8 inches. They want to wear huge chains, drive cars with huge rims, emulating every move that their hero drug-dealer-turned-rapper-AND-drug-dealer makes, but then get mad when the police suspect them of something?

If I saw a black guy wearing a suit and tie driving a Mercedes at 55 in a 25 mph zone, and a white guy wearing a bandana, driving a car from the early 90s with 22" rims on it and lifted 2 feet in the air doing the same thing, I'm pulling over the white guy. Period.

And the crybaby middle easterners who just cant understand the TSA checking them more thoroughly than the white family from Oregon is just amazing to me.
Crybaby huh? Well, if that Middle Eastern person isn't a terrorist, then I understand why that person would be upset.

How does racial profiling help the persons that are profiled? All it means is that if you aren't of a certain ethnicity, you can't live a fair life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies