Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 11:37 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,086,339 times

Advertisements

Loud mouthed thugs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 11:45 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,634,766 times
Meddlers on the government dole.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:49 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I think of the people who head up committees, go to city council meetings and have their say, collect signitures for petitions, volunteer for various community based organizations, raise money for different causes, etc.

I don't know how "activist" can be considered "user" or "leech" when they are doing the work that benifit you and the community in general.
I agree completely.
A community activist is someone who is willing to get off their arse and get involved for the betterment of their community.
If you have a problem with what they are doing, then I suggest YOU get off your arse and get involved!

Old 06-25-2009, 11:51 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,864,851 times
The first that springs to mind is the sweet older woman who volunteers her time three days a week to operate the community library. I guess the guy who donates the empty storespace for the "library" is kind of a community organizer. But I don't think the people who drop off the used books that didn't sell in the garage sale are community organizers. Yet.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:51 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,435,254 times
Community organizers are people that are working for a better community, such as fighting corruption in local governments, fighting against pollution, for better schools, cleaner water, etc. The community activists I know have jobs
Been listening to Rush etc. for too long?

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-25-2009, 11:54 AM

37,128 posts, read 42,193,480 times
My parents, both now in their 80's are "community activists". They have held positions on their HOA's for the last 15 years and my mother often goes door-to-door collecting signitures for various community causes including three very long, drawn out legal issues. Two that effected her 55+ senior community and another that involved moving the overhead wiring underground in a certain section of town, somthing that was decided upon and begun over 20 years ago, partially done, then "forgotten" by subsequent city leaders. Because of her people can no longer challange the 55+ rule whenever someone younger wants to move in (because the houses are generally smaller and cheaper than the surrounding areas), people can't buy up the homes there and use them as rental units (including a nearby care facility which had started doing this and using the homes as adjunct convelecent rooms), and the completion of the overhead-to-underground utilities is back on the cities "to-do" list.

Anyone calling her a "meddler on the government dole" or "loudmouth thug" would be considered an ass. Anyone? Anyone? I'm talking to you DC and LILY

Old 06-25-2009, 11:57 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,435,254 times
Good for her and all the people that care enough about their communities to do something to better them (instead of just sitting on their you know what and complaining).

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-25-2009, 11:59 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,809,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
Looking for peoples thoughts..
When you hear the words or term "Community activist" whats your 1st thought?

For me its...someone who leech's off his community,a user.
Jesus Christ. Although, "activist" would be too strong a word. "Organizer" would be more like it.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:07 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,634,766 times
The true blue community organizer shares Alinsky's pathology. What good thing comes out of Chicago? Not to say there aren't some truly good folks out there (duped though they may be) trying to do good works despite this despot's call to undermine our society and country.

American Thinker: Barack Obama and Alinsky's Rules for Psychopaths

Old 06-25-2009, 12:19 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
The true blue community organizer shares Alinsky's pathology. What good thing comes out of Chicago? Not to say there aren't some truly good folks out there (duped though they may be) trying to do good works despite this despot's call to undermine our society and country.

American Thinker: Barack Obama and Alinsky's Rules for Psychopaths
Have you even read Rules for Radical's from COVER to COVER? I have...and there is absolutely no reason to call Alinsky a despot.
And 'pathology'? You mean the use of one's brain for independent thought? Yeah like that's abnormal and diseased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies