Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The legalization of marijuana
Yes, legalize it completely...with regulations similar to beer and tobacco 118 74.21%
Decriminalize it 17 10.69%
No, leave it 9 5.66%
Make punishments harsher 15 9.43%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 03:30 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,353,049 times

Advertisements

Are you for or against the legalization of Marijuana. I would like to keep this thread on base with facts and not moral grounding. However, Morals play a big part of this world these days.

So, I would like to say that I am in favor of all cannabis legalization...from the smoking use to the manufacturing of products from Hemp.

If you look at history, the USA not only allowed farmers to grow it but it was Mandatory in some cases. We used it in all forms...then the government saw it as something that the minorities where using and it was spawning questionable debates on whether the government was doing things in our best interest. It also spawned many music style and artist.

The government did not like this...they did not like the people questioning their actions. I encourage everyone to do some actual research before taking a pharmaceutical companies word or even the governments word on this subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 03:36 PM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,187 times
I think it should be decriminalized. If I were a pot smoker, I wouldn't want the government to regulate or commercialize weed. Have them fine you $30 if you are caught with it and send you on your way.

See: organic food vs. heavily processed, chemically infused food.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:54 PM

112 posts, read 128,000 times
Legalize it. Tax it and put decent regulations and laws preventing violence or accidents that could potentially result with legalization. I believe if an individual is willing to accept the consequences of using marijuana they should be able to do so. Besides, everyone tries it and I'd rather have the government tax it and produce jobs than giving it to some lowlife growing weed in his basement.
I'm sure those who are against legalization will claim it will cause a spike of violence and health problems. People also said this during the Prohibition Era, and we all know how well that went . Would people die if marijuana is legalized? Absolutely. But it's ironic how 41,000 people deaths were related to alcohol in 2007 (Drunk driving statistics), but alcohol is still deemed acceptable in society when marijuana is not.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Progressive" Liberal View Post
Would people die if marijuana is legalized? Absolutely.
To be honest...I have never seen one report that stated marijuana as the cause of death or the reason for an accidental death. There is always another factor like alcohol or other drugs.

The only crime that comes from it now is the possession and disbursement of the drug.Violent crimes are not committed from the smoking of marijuana.

I have been in some heated debates but that is all...and some heated buffets...lol

When you have a prohibition you cause crime...look at the amount of crime that has gone down since the booze prohibition. That prohibition is the reason for the FBI Organized crime unit.

Someone brought this to my attention...thought it was worth the post.

http://newsok.com/group-seeks-drug-l...rticle/3377943
No good comes from it...all that happens is normally good citizens are seen as criminals and evil when they continue to do it.

Last edited by fractured_kidult; 06-25-2009 at 04:55 PM..

Old 06-25-2009, 05:44 PM

112 posts, read 128,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fracturedman View Post
To be honest...I have never seen one report that stated marijuana as the cause of death or the reason for an accidental death. There is always another factor like alcohol or other drugs.
Although people aren't violent because of marijuana, I'm sure there will be other side effects that will lead to death involving marijuana (driving high, cancer, etc.). Driving high is the big one, it creates another potential driving hazard to pedestrians and drivers.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Progressive" Liberal View Post
Although people aren't violent because of marijuana, I'm sure there will be other side effects that will lead to death involving marijuana (driving high, cancer, etc.). Driving high is the big one, it creates another potential driving hazard to pedestrians and drivers.
Driving under the influence of any substance is a bad idea. Taking to many Tylenol is bad. Smoking is bad while driving. Anything that can alter your state of mind or nervous system...is a bad idea to drive with.

However, no study has proven that marijuana by itself causes cancer...only suggests that it might. In the thousands of years that it has been in use not one case of cancer has been linked to cancer in humans.

There are studies that prove that it kills cancer cells and other diseases and ailments.

I say that if Marijuana is going to remain illegal then Tobacco, Alcohol, some prescription drugs should have the same fate.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:57 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
I don't "partake." But I'm trying to figure out how it's the government's biz.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I don't "partake." But I'm trying to figure out how it's the government's biz.
Agree'd If I want to do something that could be hazardous to my health...(marijuana isnt) but if I wanted to do say...meth...honestly...leave it alone...as long as I am not driving around town or selling it to anyone underage who does not want it...who cares.

But meth...yeah...not so good...that could blow up your house...growing marijuana wont unless your an idiot. Plus if it was legal you could grow it in your outdoor garden and tada...no problems there. But if I want to smoke, vaporize or eat Marijuana then who cares. Make it like Alcohal...regulate it.

I say if its in my own home and I am not hurting anyone but myself and those that wish to join me...then the government should stay out of it.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I don't like marijuana. In fact, I can't even be in the same room if someone is smoking because it makes me nauseous. The people I know who habitually smoke weed are in their mid to late 20's, living in their parents home and can't get a job because they can't pass a drug test. When people are high, they're very irritating to be around if you're sober, especially considering how glazed over they look.

That said... I think marijuana should be legalized, at the very least decriminalized. It should also be held to the same standards other drugs are, as in businesses should be allowed to deny employment if you cannot pass a drug test. You should not be able to drive while high (I know many stoners that think they're GREAT drivers when they're high.... surprise! They're not).

Old 06-25-2009, 11:11 PM

No one who drives under the influance of any substance is a good driver..it is wreckless. Also, I think that employers should be allowed to do drug tests...but Marijuana should not be on that test...But, if your dumb enough to smoke right before a job interview then you are stupid. Would you Drink before an interview?

That being said...if someone is injured on the job or the manager has reason to beleive that the associate is high while on the clock then the business should be allowed to test for drugs and Alcohol.

Some people who use Marijuana are just plain stupid...they are not that bright when they are sober either. Same goes for alcohol as well...Some people are stupid no matter how much they have to drink or if they are sober.

When I was younger I could not stand the smell of beer...Now, I love it...but not in an alcoholic manner. I have maybe three of four beers(not everyday) and call it quits. I am not saying that I dont drink heavily on occasion. I takes quite a bit of Beer to get me buzzed. I still dont drive...If i have one beer I am staying put for atleast an hour or two after i drink it.

Same goes for my marijuana use...I am not stupid when it comes to that...I know it effects the mind and I am not dumb enough to drive. Anyone who does...deserves to hit a tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies