Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 08:55 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
This is EXACTLY what the tea parties are supposed to be about.

Get out there and show your support of limited government and less taxation.
Grass roots are only good if your a community organizer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 09:03 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Jadex said, "Not your income tax, not your payroll tax, not your capital gains taxes,"

I wonder how many people realize that to most taxpayers payroll taxes are what is withheld from their wages and are the same thing as income taxes.

As for capital gains, how many realize what all these taxes are paid on? I think very few. I know an old man, who is certainly old since he is older than I am, whose son told him to sell all that CRP grassland to bird hunters who will give him up to $2000 per acre. The old man said do you realize how my capital gains tax would eat me up. He says he paid $150 for that land many, many years ago and a profit of $1850 would result in the federal government getting nearly all of his profit. On top of that, they would charge him income taxes on what he got.

Talk about taxation without representation and ignore the fact that Obama just never could want to get rid of capital gains. He wanted to increase them by nearly 100% to get the rate back to Clinton days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Not only are increases in taxes coming, but increases in percentage of income paid to the IRS based on how much you earn. Back in the 50's I recall Joan Crawford turning down $25,000 to appear on television (that was an enormous amount of money back then), she turned it down because it would have put her into a different tax bracket and cost her far more than the $25,000. In effect, this type of taxation appeals to the poor (where the votes are?) but severely hurts the economy.
1. He would not be the first president to break a campaign promise. "Read my lips, no new taxes."

Read my lips: no new taxes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Read my lips: no new taxes" is a now-famous phrase spoken by then presidential candidate George H. W. Bush at the 1988 Republican National Convention as he accepted the nomination on August 18. The impact of the election promise was considerable, and many believe it helped Bush win the 1988 presidential election.

Once he became president, however, Bush raised taxes as a way to reduce the national budget deficit.

2. The story about the old guy selling/no selling his land has no relevance to Obama. Plus, the old guy was probably being short-sighted. He probably still would have made money.

3. Ditto the story about Joan Crawford, who certainly had enough money.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:28 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
1. He would not be the first president to break a campaign promise. "Read my lips, no new taxes."

"Read my lips: no new taxes" is a now-famous phrase spoken by then presidential candidate George H. W. Bush at the 1988 Republican National Convention as he accepted the nomination on August 18. The impact of the election promise was considerable, and many believe it helped Bush win the 1988 presidential election.

Once he became president, however, Bush raised taxes as a way to reduce the national budget deficit.

2. The story about the old guy selling/no selling his land has no relevance to Obama. Plus, the old guy was probably being short-sighted. He probably still would have made money.

Good point; he was voted out after one term....

Old 06-27-2009, 02:32 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
We need this one thrown out of office before he destroys the country...

Old 06-27-2009, 03:46 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

I guess someone in a round-about way tried to defend Obama. To bad there is no defense for his lies and broken promises. It is comical when faced with the truth the liberals are all hiding with their heads in the sand.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:48 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,928,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
We can only hope!

Old 06-27-2009, 04:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccersupporter View Post
I guess someone in a round-about way tried to defend Obama. To bad there is no defense for his lies and broken promises. It is comical when faced with the truth the liberals are all hiding with their heads in the sand.
It was not meant to be a defense of Obama. Actually, I think all candidates probably end up breaking some of their campaign promises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies