Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you tell your friend they had an ugly baby
Yes 8 11.94%
No 59 88.06%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:35 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone think it is their place to tell someone that they have an ugly baby? Would you tell your boss she looked fat in those slacks? It may be the truth but noone with a brain would say it.

That said -- sure, some babies aren't cute and some are. As one would with an adult, there is always something that they can be complimented on whether it be their hair, the color of their eyes or even their clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 08:39 AM

111 posts, read 316,379 times
some babies might not look good or cute to some people, but all babies look good in their parent's eyes.....with that being said, i believe that if i have nothing nice to say, i rather would keep it to myself

Old 06-29-2009, 09:51 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Why would anyone think it is their place to tell someone that they have an ugly baby? Would you tell your boss she looked fat in those slacks? It may be the truth but noone with a brain would say it.

That said -- sure, some babies aren't cute and some are. As one would with an adult, there is always something that they can be complimented on whether it be their hair, the color of their eyes or even their clothes.
I also believe that if one doesn't have anything nice to say about someone, one shouldn't say anything to them at all. However this thread was probably inspired by the all too common situation of a parent or grandparent showing off their baby to their friend, and that friend being expected to gush over how beautiful their baby is... but their baby is ugly. The problem is the parents who expect and count on others to give them compliments about their baby. And my feeling is that parents shouldn't be doing that. They are the ones at fault here.

For those of us that don't like babies and children, we really do our best to avoid all contact with them. And I think that parents and family oriented people should be better at accepting the fact that not every adult (woman) loves babies and children, and they should take the subtle hints we give out and stop trying to convert us to baby lovers. And obviously, people like me do not want to give compliments to their offspring.

And in your example, if the boss looks fat in her slacks, then she had better not ask others if she looks fat in them. Now if it looks like her slacks are close to splitting a seam or popping a button, maybe an anonymous note ASAP is in order.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:57 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,452,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
I had a friend and her 3 y/o daughter wasn't that pretty and had a huge forehead. Well of course I never said anything negative, I mean who says that kinda stuff about a baby!

Anyways, we were hanging out and another friend came to his house. My friend Kristian said in front of him and daughter without hesitation, "Damn she got a big forehead!" I was shocked and my other friend was like "come on man."

I got a 2 y/o daughter and she is beautiful and everyone else says so too, but I wonder if they really mean it.

Would any of you guys point out an ugly baby to a friend or stranger?
No because it's really not that important.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:02 AM

315 posts, read 761,183 times
I would never tell anyone that their little innocent baby is ugly because I happen to think that all little babies are beautiful. Babies are innocent and just want to play and be loved so I don't know how can a human that mean that they would pick on the innocent. I have a relative who is always picking on babies and she is a big loser and has self esteem issues with herself and that's why she get a kick out of picking on babies.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I also believe that if one doesn't have anything nice to say about someone, one shouldn't say anything to them at all. However this thread was probably inspired by the all too common situation of a parent or grandparent showing off their baby to their friend, and that friend being expected to gush over how beautiful their baby is... but their baby is ugly. The problem is the parents who expect and count on others to give them compliments about their baby. And my feeling is that parents shouldn't be doing that. They are the ones at fault here.

For those of us that don't like babies and children, we really do our best to avoid all contact with them. And I think that parents and family oriented people should be better at accepting the fact that not every adult (woman) loves babies and children, and they should take the subtle hints we give out and stop trying to convert us to baby lovers. And obviously, people like me do not want to give compliments to their offspring.

And in your example, if the boss looks fat in her slacks, then she had better not ask others if she looks fat in them. Now if it looks like her slacks are close to splitting a seam or popping a button, maybe an anonymous note ASAP is in order.

Hmmm, well the only people that show their babies off to me are people that I know such as friends and family. Even if the kid is butt ugly -- hell, especially if the kid is butt ugly I will find something nice to say about it. That is what friends and even family does for one another. I've never had a stranger show me their baby with the expectation that I say something nice about it.

Besides, a parent knows if their baby is ugly. They do get it - they are not blind. But all the same it is nice to hear something positive about the baby from people that you love and trust. I don't know about you Miu, but I went through that 'awkward' stage where I had acne and glasses and braces and wore ill fitting clothes. Thank god I had family and friends who pointed out the positives (even made up ones) instead of saying what I knew to be true - I was ugly like most preteens are ugly. It passed, and ugly babies do tend to grow into really attractive adults.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 AM

315 posts, read 761,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;9501547
I'd rather have a baby who was ugly when born, but got better looking as it got older. I know of friends who had beautiful babies, but got uglier when they got older.
Well said because most people grow up out of their baby looks and will look completely different and they are not always as attractive as they were when they were babies. I have two friends and one had a pretty baby and the other's child was considered ugly but flash forward and their looks have been reversed.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:11 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,717,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well that's in YOUR opinion, not mine. And human life is precious, but certainly not that rare or special, not with so many BILLIONS of human beings presently on this planet... which is why I don't encourage anyone to have children or to tell them that their babies and children are beautiful.
I'm really glad your parents or mine, for that matter, ignored such discouragement, Miu

Old 06-29-2009, 11:09 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcmotort View Post
"Damn she got a big forehead!"
Haha, that's hilarious.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:41 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
It's hateful and hurtful to say something negative about someone's baby. I have seen some ugly babies grow up to be very beautiful/handsome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies