Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 11:51 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,430,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
It's not about who speaks loudest but who pays most.
Absolutely, but don't forget, we still have our VOTES. That's ultimately what it's about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2009, 11:51 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,127,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Since when has BO listened to the majority of Americans?????????????
--so true!

Old 06-27-2009, 11:54 AM

15,218 posts, read 30,486,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Absolutely, but don't forget, we still have our VOTES. That's ultimately what it's about.
Right. That does us a world of good when every major candidate is an enabler of this whole thing. Did you hear a peep about immigration during the '08 presidential debates? I thought not.

I'd just as soon they be brought into the system where they're paying taxes like everyone else. Maybe that's amnesty to some, but it's better than letting them leech.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:56 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,615,399 times
Quote:
I hope they won't move this to the illegal forum. It is politics - so I think it's a relevant topic here as well - and I'd like to see some comments from those who don't usually visit there.

Anyhow, PLEASE no amnesty. PLEASE. I'm begging. Just enforce the laws. NO welfare for illegals, penalize the employers who hire them, make them-self deport. Verify legal status every time someone gets arrested for ANY crime or even if they're stopped for a traffic violation. If they're illegal, out they go.

THAT is the way to address illegals. We shouldn't reward criminals leeching off those of us who have a right to be here.

AMEN!

Old 06-27-2009, 12:00 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,430,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Right. That does us a world of good when every major candidate is an enabler of this whole thing. Did you hear a peep about immigration during the '08 presidential debates? I thought not.

I'd just as soon they be brought into the system where they're paying taxes like everyone else. Maybe that's amnesty to some, but it's better than letting them leech.
After amnesty, they'd be entitled to minimum wage pay, requiring the same employers to reduce the pay of American workers to the bare minimum and/or lay people off to make up the difference. They'd still be undereducated and lacking in job skills and would have just as much of a right to welfare as everyone else. They'd bring their family members who aren't in the US now here to join them.

The consequences of amnesty would be endless.

Amnesty was already done in 1986; look at how well it worked out.

As far as politicians, there are many members of Congress who are strongly anti-amnesty and pro-enforcement. There are many, many state and local officials around the country who are anti-amnesty/anti-illegal as well. It is possible to get anti-amnesty and pro-enforcement politicians in office if we demand it.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:12 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,599,696 times
I say every1 who's registered a Dem pay more in there taxes every yr since they want illegals so much....no?

Old 06-27-2009, 12:23 PM

639 posts, read 1,141,115 times
When the country splits in two, and this is seeming more possible every day, make sure I'm notified so I can be on the "RIGHT" side that is self sufficient, god fearing, gun owning, AMERICANS that believe you must WORK to succeed and the thought of a "hand out" for generation after generation, after generation of the same families has been proven not to work. Down and out and need help...I'll help.....Grandma, Mom, and Daughter ALL on government assistance with no male influence in multiple out of wedlock children running the streets causing havoc......Tired of all the nonsense...this country (The Dems) rewards bad behavior......."Illegal" aliens means they are here illegally. I'm all for shipping their butts out...and before you babble about "rich" corporate Republicans employing them....arrest them too while you are at it. We cannot afford to support other country's problems.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:07 PM

6,758 posts, read 13,971,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrymac View Post
I say every1 who's registered a Dem pay more in there taxes every yr since they want illegals so much....no?

I always get a kick out of the right when they try to come across as being the only ones in favor of protecting our borders. This problem has been ignored by both parties for years. In fact the last amnesty program was done during the Regan administration. Neither party is going to send cheap labor back across the border. If they are willing to send a job to India, Vietnam or China what makes you think they are interested in putting a halt to the local cheap labor pool. You can dream all you want but the business lobbyist in this country will allow them to send them home. PERIOD!

Old 06-28-2009, 06:17 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,904,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Obama hints at amnesty for illegal immigrants - Austin Business Journal:

Americans are ready for it ??????

snippet:
"“What’s also been acknowledged is that the 12 million or so undocumented workers are here — who are not paying taxes in the ways that we’d like them to be paying taxes, who are living in the shadows, that is a group that we have to deal with in a practical, common-sense way,” Obama said after the meeting. “And I think the American people are ready for us to do so. But it’s going to require some heavy lifting, it’s going to require a victory of practicality and common sense and good policy making over short-term politics. That’s what I’m committed to doing as president.”
I hope this does not come to pass, I was against it when Bush did it and still am. Like saying that it is ok because enough people snuck into your house and moved in so it is now ok for them to stay. As for illegal immigration, there is only one solution, go after those that hire them, take away the jobs and a large majority of them would not come or stay here. I would add that we need to streamline the green card process, there are many illegals that would prefer to come here and work under legal means but the process takes too long for them to do so. Also keep in mind that those here legally pay taxes on their earnings, a big plus for us. I wonder why the government does not persue this simple solution, anyone have an idea why that is?
Casper

Old 06-28-2009, 06:26 AM

628 posts, read 1,313,306 times
Quote:
I agree with you 100%, however, if and when amnesty is granted our votes will in fact be too late. Once they are here legally- there is no going back- no matter who we elect the next time around. This needs to be stopped now.
John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies