Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 03:07 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,012,853 times

Advertisements

So Mexico will be involved, as well as Canada? Looks as much like a thorough hosing as a pipeline.

Palin picks Canadian company for gas line: Gas Pipeline | adn.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 03:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
How about that Pebble mine...

Palin's words:

Quote:
“I am a commercial fisherman; my daughter’s name is Bristol,” said Ms. Palin, then a candidate for governor. “I could not support a project that risks one resource that we know is a given, and that is the world’s richest spawning grounds, over another resource.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/22/us.../22mining.html

Old 06-30-2009, 03:43 PM

18,355 posts, read 26,479,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Renewable timber has been planted by Weyerhauser abd other major wood products companies for years. Let them go harvest what they have renewed before they cut any more old growth timber.
The timber up here and in states like Maine environmental groups and governments doing their bidding have prevented from being cut is not old growth at all.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,681,428 times
This was old growth once....

Old 06-30-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
This was old growth once....

Yeah, the feds cut the real old growth in SE Alaska. But God forbid if we log the young forests of New England. Insane.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah; Canada will clean up.

This was supposed to be Alaska's pipeline, from Prudoe to Valdez, with the money and the jobs staying in the state. Palin appeared to be a strong supporter of this at one time.
It's absurd to pipe it to/through Canada. It should stay in Alaska where the energy is desperately needed with how expensive it is to heat, etc. The direction she's gone with the pipeline has me scratching my head (but then, she's too interested in her career and I think if she doesn't focus more on Alaska she needs replacing, but please, not with some of the previous clowns who've held the office).

Old 06-30-2009, 05:39 PM

37,162 posts, read 19,170,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Yeah, the feds cut the real old growth in SE Alaska. But God forbid if we log the young forests of New England. Insane.
The question is, if it is renewable, why don't they cut what they renewed?

There is no biodiversity in trees planted as a renewable resource. The stands of timber are sterile, and ther is little reason for most creatures to go into them.

Mature forests provide homes for wildlife, and surprisingly enough that fact is worth a great deal more to a lot of people than seeing someone make a profit mowing the forest down.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:58 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,153,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
From one of the OP's links:

"DAMAGE REMAINS

But with still-pungent oil lingering on some beaches, Prince William Sound herring stocks nearly wiped out by an epidemic that fishermen believe was triggered by the spill, various animal populations depleted and residents exhausted by long years of still-unresolved litigation, many Alaskans are still bitter.

A June 25 U.S. Supreme Court decision, which shrank a punitive award that had originally been $5 billion to a mere $507.5 million, was devastating to fishermen, Alaska Natives and other spill litigants. Meanwhile, Exxon is prospering, with more than $30 billion in cash on its balance sheet.

"Exxon is very, very healthy, unlike Prince William Sound," said state Senator Hollis French, an Anchorage Democrat. "I think Alaskans for several generations will have a bad taste in their mouths from that incident.""

And from another report:

""We're not going to consider Prince William Sound recovered until the herring are recovered," said Jeep Rice, a federal scientist who has spent the past 20 years studying the spill's impact."

Local News | Exxon Valdez oil-spill recovery still is work in progress, 20 years later | Seattle Times Newspaper
I haven't denied that the oil spill didn't cause fish and wildlife population declines, because it did. I was talking about the people in that area.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxcia View Post
How about asking them to pay what they were ordered to pay.
She can ask and ask until turning red on the face, but can't take the case off the Supreme Court's hands, and then order the company to pay. Well, she could do that if she bails-out Exxon (like Obama did with GM). In this case, Exxon is owned by the State, which in turn can tell Exxon what to do.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Of course a lot of people worked on the spill with the steam cleaners; it was the only work available since there weren't any fish.

Not so sure about Bristol being thriving; I know a few permit holders that don't even bother leaving the docks anymore; maybe lower fuel prices will help them out some. There runs are different than ours; it's looking like we'll have a record year. We'll know more after the closure of this opening.

Bristol Bay Fishermen Travel to Capitol Hill on 20th Anniversary of Exxon Valdez Oil Spill — Alaska Marine Conservation Council
I am talking about the human population relating to deaths and the ones being born. It continues just as before the Exxon Valdez spill. The region has been pretty much dead economically for years now. A few small fishermen (and women) do benefit along the State, but a lot of the big companies aren't from Alaska. Tourism helps, but still the largest companies aren't from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies