Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you vote for a gay or lesbian president?
Yes 170 73.28%
No 62 26.72%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 07:57 AM

29,987 posts, read 18,561,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
That's an absurd observation, more like an assumption & you know it.

If I were these patients, I would run for the hills. You claim to be a physician yet your biases seem to be getting the better of your judgment. You have much to learn grasshopper.

Hey, that is okay. I am the best at what I do in our area, and "running for the hills" would result in a lower level of care. There are other physician options and people can choose who they want to see. I think if a patient is hung up on thier sexuality and that is more important to them than the quality of care they recieve, so be it. I have two transgender patients who are good patients. I don't treat them any differently than anyone else, and they are actually very pleasant. Are they normal? No. But any professional does not allow thier sense of what is "normal" to alter thier medical treatment of patients. I think if you are not in medicine, you do not understand this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,532,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Hey, that is okay. I am the best at what I do in our area, and "running for the hills" would result in a lower level of care. There are other physician options and people can choose who they want to see. I think if a patient is hung up on thier sexuality and that is more important to them than the quality of care they recieve, so be it. I have two transgender patients who are good patients. I don't treat them any differently than anyone else, and they are actually very pleasant. Are they normal? No. But any professional does not allow thier sense of what is "normal" to alter thier medical treatment of patients. I think if you are not in medicine, you do not understand this.
Let me tell you, I would NEVER see a doctor who felt that I wasn't normal. That is beyond repulsive. But hey, like you say you're a redneck, what do I expect, right?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:16 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,833,293 times
Quote:
Let me tell you, I would NEVER see a doctor who felt that I wasn't normal. That is beyond repulsive. But hey, like you say you're a redneck, what do I expect, right?
if I did that, I would never see a doctor.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:

Okay. That is your decision. Again, I don't think that any physician allows any of thier personal feelings to alter thier treatment of patients, regardless of who they are. We treat everybody the same and focus on the problem. If you are that hung up on being gay, that is a problem that you probably need to address, as it may be interfering with your decision making process.

So if there was a marginally competant physician who was a gay advocate, and a very good doc who was indifferent to your sexuality, you would choose the marginally competant guy? I guess when I see a doc myself, I don't care who they are, whether white/black, gay/straight. liberal/conservative. I want the best guy. To each his own, but I really fail to see how personal views or political views would ever come in to the treatment of patients in the practice of medicine. Heck, I have a patient who is a higher up dealing with Obama's healthcare plan. I don't like liberals, but I don't hold it against her at all. No competant physician ever allows personal views to alter treatment.

BTW, I have had a couple of pateints in my career who said they would prefer to see a gay physician. Okay. I just don't know where you would find one that identifies themselves as a "gay physician". I don't think any gay doc would think it was relevant one way or another.

It seems as though you may have a bigger problem with rednecks and that might reflect your views. You should try to treat people the same, regardless of personal feelings. I hope your views do not compromise your ability to function effectively in your work.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,532,561 times
Quote:
Okay. That is your decision. Again, I don't think that any physician allows any of thier personal feelings to alter thier treatment of patients, regardless of who they are. We treat everybody the same and focus on the problem. If you are that hung up on being gay, that is a problem that you probably need to address, as it may be interfering with your decision making process.

So if there was a marginally competant physician who was a gay advocate, and a very good doc who was indifferent to your sexuality, you would choose the marginally competant guy? I guess when I see a doc myself, I don't care who they are, whether white/black, gay/straight. liberal/conservative. I want the best guy. To each his own, but I really fail to see how personal views or political views would ever come in to the treatment of patients in the practice of medicine. Heck, I have a patient who is a higher up dealing with Obama's healthcare plan. I don't like liberals, but I don't hold it against her at all. No competant physician ever allows personal views to alter treatment.

BTW, I have had a couple of pateints in my career who said they would prefer to see a gay physician. Okay. I just don't know where you would find one that identifies themselves as a "gay physician". I don't think any gay doc would think it was relevant one way or another.

It seems as though you may have a bigger problem with rednecks and that might reflect your views. You should try to treat people the same, regardless of personal feelings. I hope your views do not compromise your ability to function effectively in your work.
LOL, I'm not gay, sorry.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:02 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,991,053 times
Quote:
LOL, I'm not gay, sorry.
Seriously?

Based on your posts, I was under the impression that you are a homosexual woman (are you not a woman?). Based on many of the rep comments I've gotten, there are several here who think you're not only a woman, but that you're a lesbian. Guess we were wrong.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
LOL, I'm not gay, sorry.

Okay. I just find it very strange that you seem to feel as though the political leanings or beliefs of a physician is important or makes any difference at all. I find it shocking, actually. I really do not care WHO my docs are, as long as they are good.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:02 PM

1,133 posts, read 710,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Seriously?

Based on your posts, I was under the impression that you are a homosexual woman (are you not a woman?). Based on many of the rep comments I've gotten, there are several here who think you're not only a woman, but that you're a lesbian. Guess we were wrong.
Folks that think in the context of defending every irrational context known to man are called liberals. They are liberal because it makes them feel hip, cool, worldly. They are precisely the opposite. Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:04 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,611,559 times
Quote:
Moving from the private to the public forum, I think that being gay would compromise the ability of a president to effectively lead. Look at Barney Frank- I think he is a good example of why it would be a bad idea.
I really appreciate your intelligent contributions to this discussion, and I can understand and empathize with most of them; however, I don't think it's wise to point to one homosexual (Barney Frank) and use him as a reason to justify rejecting all homosexuals. He's one person. I'm not even sure what you mean when you say he's a "good example" - a good example of what? Certainly, he doesn't represent all homosexuals, just as Sarah Palin doesn't represent all heterosexuals.

I think you did a good job of explaining why you don't think it would be a good idea to have a gay President, but using Barney Frank as an example is not a strong argument, as I see it.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,611,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I believe that a gay president would be ramming through gay legislation at the expense of more important issues.
Do you believe that a black president will be "ramming through" black legislation at the expense of more important issues? How about a female president? Or a midget president?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies