Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 05:57 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,761,129 times

Advertisements

It seems like every year that we have a couple of high school athletes that, unfortunately, pass away in the heat of football practice. Despite the best efforts of coaches and boosters to make sure the students are physically fit and well hydrated, it happens. It always has happened and will continue to happen mostly due to undiscovered medical conditions that the student had that would not be discovered in a routine physical.
Now I see that some school districts are making student athletes get FULL physical exams including things like heart scans, ECGs and even back xrays. These are very expensive and the full cost has to be paid by the student and his family. Many poor students simply cannot pay $400 or more for a physical every year.
Other districts are telling coaches to "ease up" on the student athletes by banning practice when the temperature reaches a certain point (like 95 degrees) or by not making students "run too far" or giving them breaks every other 15 minutes.
I don't get this. The purpose of a COACH is to build a team of well disciplined players who follow instructions. These things will just result in a team full of beta males. The coach should have the team out in the heat and make them practice (with ice water or Gatoraid available of course). People work in the heat don't they? Firefighters, cops, utility workers, road workers, construction workers, the mailman. Heat is just part of life. What if Friday night comes around and the temperature is 96 degrees??? Do we CANCEL the high school football game?
My coach in high school would have NEVER EVER heard of such non sense! He was a tough man and he made those who played for him tough. You got tough or you got dropped. Simple as that. And he made teams that had charactor and were well disciplined.
I was not actually on the team because I didn't make the cut. I tried but I just was not good enough. Not even to sit on the bench as 2nd string. But I know this because Coach liked me. I was on the wrestling team which he also coached. I knew how he coached. Unlike the other students who found out if they made the team by a list on his office door, Coach called me in his office to personally tell me I did not make the cut. And when he offered me one of 3 "waterboy" (Equipment Manager) positions with the football team I took it with no hesitation.
And he was as hard on us as he was the team. The coolers had to be scrubbed and be spotless outside and in. The uniforms had to be properly placed, all equipment cleaned to perfection. He expected nothing less from us than he did the players. And yes, he used harsh vocabulary at times.
I remember thinking Coach was a hard ass at times but I am thankful today for the discipline and charactor he gave me and those who played for him. It helped me greatly in the Air Force and in life.
I don't think today that coaches like Coach exist anymore. And I think we will all suffer in the end for it. What do you think? Do you think coaches can really be coaches these days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 06:56 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Not so much coaches but litigation averse lawyers for School Boards. In this area games have been called due to heat, cold, rain---you get the idea.
When I wrestled getting a drink was a reward for a good practice, as were Vitamin C and salt pills. Those parts needed to change. One thing I've noticed is that many high school kids are waaaay bigger than 40 years ago when I was in high school. In fact the Unlimited weight class now has an upper weight limit and the lowest weight is 103. When I was wrestling that and 110 what I weighed and the lowest weight class was around 70. I still think we were a bunch of anorexics.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I don't get this. The purpose of a COACH is to build a team of well disciplined players who follow instructions. These things will just result in a team full of beta males. The coach should have the team out in the heat and make them practice (with ice water or Gatoraid available of course). People work in the heat don't they? Firefighters, cops, utility workers, road workers, construction workers, the mailman. Heat is just part of life. What if Friday night comes around and the temperature is 96 degrees??? Do we CANCEL the high school football game?
What an utterly cro-magnon view point. In 2007, 13 kids died as a result of heat related illness, kids! Not cops, not fire fighters, kids. A coaches job is to teach kids to play a sport to their best potential while not endangering their lives. IT'S A GAME!

Please relive your Vince Lombari fantasies with your own kids and leave everyone else's alone.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:11 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,842,951 times
children are taught to be weak. I went to a graduation party two weeks ago and was talking to an old friend who now has kids. his kids play soccer. the teams play with no goalie and don't keep score. how are you supposed to know who to taunt after the game is over? the kids who score less need to know that they are the losers, and that losers don't get pizza.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
How old are these kids?

Old 06-26-2009, 08:27 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How old are these kids?
you talking to me? I think his daughter is 8.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:42 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
you talking to me? I think his daughter is 8.
Yes, I was talking to you. I'd guess 8 is old enough to learn about scoring, but much younger than that they don't and they can be such boors is they win. One of my kids started competitive gymnastics at 7; in retrospect, it was a little young.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yes, I was talking to you. I'd guess 8 is old enough to learn about scoring, but much younger than that they don't and they can be such boors is they win. One of my kids started competitive gymnastics at 7; in retrospect, it was a little young.
I think there always needs to be a winner and a loser. it's realistic. it's life. I am kidding when I say that one team needs to realize they are losers and all that. when I played sports, we always shook hands after the game, and the winning team always did a cheer for the losing team. that's sportsmanship.

sing it with me

2-4-6-8 who do we appreciate

katiana!!!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:52 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I didn't have to be 8 years old to learn to win or lose. It's ridiculous. Why are we coddling children so much?

Everyone gets a trophy! Everyone is a winner! Life is not like that and then you wonder why we have all these idiotic, entitled people running around.

My martial arts instructor (old school Korean, raised my monks, etc) had to completely change the way he taught because parents were complaining that he was 'too mean' to the kids. I was like, "Wtf?"

Old 06-26-2009, 10:55 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
I don't think the Coaches are being wimps but are wary of unfavorable litigation. I feel so old saying...We walked in the snow to school...etc....but it was true. I do feel that some parents and society in general "coddle" their children too much.....partly evidenced by the increase in obesity in today's children. You do not see kids playing outside like years ago....when we were kids(60's) our parents would have to drag us into the house, even on a cold winter's day; the exact opposite of many of today's children. "Go outside and play" as my parents used to say...LOL....and try and come home for supper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies