Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 10:40 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,025 times

Advertisements

I've become quite interested in the U.S. Presidents. Any time I visit a book store, I look to browse and see what books I can find. I recently purchased a book that goes into great detail on each of the Presidents and election results, etc. I've also watched The Presidents series on the History Channel and watched John Adams.

As a student of history and having a keen interest in politics and the Presidents, I wonder what many of you think George W. Bush's biggest/most enduring accomplishment was or will be. I don't want to turn this into a bashing session, just interested in honest thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 10:43 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post
I've become quite interested in the U.S. Presidents. Any time I visit a book store, I look to browse and see what books I can find. I recently purchased a book that goes into great detail on each of the Presidents and election results, etc. I've also watched The Presidents series on the History Channel and watched John Adams.

As a student of history and having a keen interest in politics and the Presidents, I wonder what many of you think George W. Bush's biggest/most enduring accomplishment was or will be. I don't want to turn this into a bashing session, just interested in honest thoughts.
What George W. Bush's biggest/most enduring accomplishment was?

He got Obama elected - and Obama ain't Bush - I hope.

Old 06-26-2009, 10:46 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,024,746 times
i thought this was about his best accomplishment not his biggest failure

Old 06-26-2009, 10:52 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Biggest accomplishment?
Help communist China's economy grow by sending our factories over there

Old 06-26-2009, 10:56 PM

522 posts, read 1,793,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
What George W. Bush's biggest/most enduring accomplishment was?

He got Obama elected - and Obama ain't Bush - I hope.
This, unfortunately, is A) probably what this thread will turn into and B) the exact thinking that is plowing us head-on into the depths of repression--what happens when "anybody but Bush" actually gets you "worse than Bush"?

To answer the question directly: There's no getting around the fact that when Bush is discussed in a serious manner (and not just politically bashed) that almost all discussion will focus on his reaction to the 9/11 attacks. While the errors in implementation were plenty, I think history will show that, if nothing else, his determination to bring the issue of religious extremism and the danger it poses to a civilized world to the forefront will be his legacy. Long after the debate of whether or not military action was necessary, justified, or even morally right is over, the greatest accomplishment will prove to be he understood what will become the greatest threat to Western Democracy the world has ever seen. Only decades of distance and healing of wounds too fresh to be viewed objectively right now will prove his insight.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:02 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
This, unfortunately, is A) probably what this thread will turn into and B) the exact thinking that is plowing us head-on into the depths of repression--what happens when "anybody but Bush" actually gets you "worse than Bush"?

To answer the question directly: There's no getting around the fact that when Bush is discussed in a serious manner (and not just politically bashed) that almost all discussion will focus on his reaction to the 9/11 attacks. While the errors in implementation were plenty, I think history will show that, if nothing else, his determination to bring the issue of religious extremism and the danger it poses to a civilized world to the forefront will be his legacy. Long after the debate of whether or not military action was necessary, justified, or even morally right is over, the greatest accomplishment will prove to be he understood what will become the greatest threat to Western Democracy the world has ever seen. Only decades of distance and healing of wounds too fresh to be viewed objectively right now will prove his insight.
Are you crediting Bush with the brain he never had?

Old 06-26-2009, 11:04 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yman97 View Post

In college I read an essay arguing the merits of Hitler.
The paper argued that the world learned a lesson, and that his existence helped bring together the allies via the axis. His presence helped to shape the world.

Maybe the world needed an anti-hero to bring people together.
And former President Bush may have provided something along those lines, accidentally, while trying to do his best.
So while I'm not a big fan of GWB, his time as president may have a stronger impact than I'm able to realize now.

And if Obama is eventually considered a superb president, - how can anyone avoid giving Bush some credit for that?
I'd like to think we'd still have elected Obama - but maybe without Bush there'd have been no President Obama.

Shorter - while I may not credit Bush with intending all the consequences of his policies, in the long run I may have concede that his presidency was very important - even more if I continue to think highly of Obama.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:16 PM

522 posts, read 1,793,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
In college I read an essay arguing the merits of Hitler.
The paper argued that the world learned a lesson, and that his existence helped bring together the allies via the axis. His presence helped to shape the world.

Maybe the world needed an anti-hero to bring people together.
And former President Bush may have provided something along those lines, accidentally, while trying to do his best.
So while I'm not a big fan of GWB, his time as president may have a stronger impact than I'm able to realize now.

And if Obama is eventually considered a superb president, - how can anyone avoid giving Bush some credit for that?
I'd like to think we'd still have elected Obama - but maybe without Bush there'd have been no President Obama.

Shorter - while I may not credit Bush with intending all the consequences of his policies, in the long run I may have concede that his presidency was very important - even more if I continue to think highly of Obama.
I agree with your logic 100%, except that you got it 100% bass ackwards:

When the epic fail that is Obama comes to light, Bush will be the one thanking Obama for showing us what we get when we vote FOR someone because he is NOT someone else. Again, "Anyone but Bush" only works when "Anyone" isn't worse.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:18 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,902,531 times
Quote:
I agree with your logic 100%, except that you got it 100% bass ackwards:

When the epic fail that is Obama comes to light, Bush will be the one thanking Obama for showing us what we get when we vote FOR someone because he is NOT someone else. Again, "Anyone but Bush" only works when "Anyone" isn't worse.
Unlike you, I wasn't making predictions.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:23 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Quote:

well said exellent and thankyou
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies