Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2009, 08:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD2.0 View Post
I thought child support was to support a child. I wasn't aware that children required cigarettes, booze, etc.??????? I don't know if that's what mean, but that's what you were replying to when you said it was no one's business what they were buying. It sounds more like adult support to me.
Those are for mom's boyfriends.

There are many abuses of child support. One friend of mine got a call from his ex-wife asking him to mail the child support check to another address because her live-in boyfriend was making her go with him to cash it and he was taking all of it.

There should be a system that guarantees the father that the money is being spent on the children and only on the children or toward the utilities and other things that go for their needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
You can use food stamps at fast food places?? Seriously
In some states, you must certainly can. Look around at your fast food places, and you very well may find that they take the food stamp cards.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:33 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,146,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
I find that hard to believe....but if it is true...have you not reported them to the public assistance fraud department?

They do it all along Brighton Beach Road in Brooklyn, NY but now they have smartened up a little bit and have taken the actual signs off the window because people were reporting them but if you know the right person... FUR COAT ON THE FOOD STAMP CARD can also be your's.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I can only speak for myself but I dont know anyone that wants to help those that are willing to help themselves. Its those that have figured out they dont have to work and can make it.

We have a problem with this and there has to be a way to fix it so its not being abused like it is
I think there is a fix. Instead of food stamp cards where the so-called poor can fill their carts with the most expensive cuts of meat and ice creams, cakes, cookies, pies, candy and so on, there should be places for them where they can pick up some cheap nutritious foods, maybe their local welfare office since they already know where that is. Rice, beans, bread, a little meat, corn, potatoes, but in limited amounts so they don't eat too much.

That way they won't starve to death and would have better nutrition and it would be far cheaper.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:35 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,287 times
Sorry guys, I have been trying to get on to the OK food stamp site for an hour, but adobe won't open it. My husband confirmed that his friend can go into QT and buy a hot dog (aka fast food), chips (aka fast food) and a drink on his food stamps.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Sorry guys, I have been trying to get on to the OK food stamp site for an hour, but adobe won't open it. My husband confirmed that his friend can go into QT and buy a hot dog (aka fast food), chips (aka fast food) and a drink on his food stamps.
Most definitely in Texas, you can eat out in the fast food places paying with the Lone Star Card.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:51 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Eligible Food Items

This tells what can or cannot be purchased with food stamps.

Quote:
Most definitely in Texas, you can eat out in the fast food places paying with the Lone Star Card.
Then the Lone Star card must have other types of benefits on it. Either that or the fast food places in Texas are in violation of federal law.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:38 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
and how do you know he's using food stamps to pay for that stuff? he could have cash benefits that are on the same card. come on, this is third hand info that can't even be validated unless you have proof via a link or receipt (not much better than the "my sister's boyfriend's cousin's babysitter's dog groomer's wife's BFF..." type of stories). it's third hand info vs. what the federal guidelines of the program are vs. other people's first hand experience w/ working in stores that take food stamps or people who've used them themselves

I don't know how Texas works, but in states where an EBT card or similar is used, it is physically impossible for non-qualifying items to be paid for w/ food stamps. the machines simply won't allow it. even if you scan an entire order that includes booze, cigs, pet food, dish soap, and hot wings, all of these items will not be paid for via the EBT card and the costs of these items will be the left over balance. most fast food joints do not have the proper machines to accept EBT cards

it's sad to see so many people judging others who must use food stamps. after a house fire, I received food stamps and cash benefits for 3 months (the food stamps lasted a bit longer, closer to 8 months since I was in school and had no other income. I think there was a maximum time period I could have the cash benefits and I met it). I'm sure there were people looking at me as I paid for my food via an EBT card and thinking I was just another welfare queen scamming the system, w/o even realizing that, for most of the time I had the food stamps, I was practically homeless and living on the couches of relatives who weren't that much better off

yeah, people abuse the system, but those type of people come in all types, from lower income single mothers to Wall Street bigwigs. however, unless you know the story behind a person's reason of why they're using food stamps (and really, you shouldn't, though I can imagine some ruder, cruder, judgmental folks butting in with such questions), you don't know whether this is someone abusing the system or someone is real need of the little help they're getting. and in this day and age, lots of people that don't fit the stereotypical "welfare queen" are using food stamps. god forbid you lose your job and find your savings spent or experience a major catastrophe like a house fire , you may end up being on the receiving end of such judgment

Old 06-29-2009, 09:54 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
True if they are using some kind of EBT account (child support, other aid), but they are NOT using USDA food stamps for food purchases in restaurants.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:56 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,287 times
He uses his food stamps!! He never has cash. Period. He isn't smart enough to hold on to it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
and how do you know he's using food stamps to pay for that stuff? he could have cash benefits that are on the same card. come on, this is third hand info that can't even be validated unless you have proof via a link or receipt (not much better than the "my sister's boyfriend's cousin's babysitter's dog groomer's wife's BFF..." type of stories). it's third hand info vs. what the federal guidelines of the program are vs. other people's first hand experience w/ working in stores that take food stamps or people who've used them themselves

I don't know how Texas works, but in states where an EBT card or similar is used, it is physically impossible for non-qualifying items to be paid for w/ food stamps. the machines simply won't allow it. even if you scan an entire order that includes booze, cigs, pet food, dish soap, and hot wings, all of these items will not be paid for via the EBT card and the costs of these items will be the left over balance. most fast food joints do not have the proper machines to accept EBT cards

it's sad to see so many people judging others who must use food stamps. after a house fire, I received food stamps and cash benefits for 3 months (the food stamps lasted a bit longer, closer to 8 months since I was in school and had no other income. I think there was a maximum time period I could have the cash benefits and I met it). I'm sure there were people looking at me as I paid for my food via an EBT card and thinking I was just another welfare queen scamming the system, w/o even realizing that, for most of the time I had the food stamps, I was practically homeless and living on the couches of relatives who weren't that much better off

yeah, people abuse the system, but those type of people come in all types, from lower income single mothers to Wall Street bigwigs. however, unless you know the story behind a person's reason of why they're using food stamps (and really, you shouldn't, though I can imagine some ruder, cruder, judgmental folks butting in with such questions), you don't know whether this is someone abusing the system or someone is real need of the little help they're getting. and in this day and age, lots of people that don't fit the stereotypical "welfare queen" are using food stamps. god forbid you lose your job and find your savings spent or experience a major catastrophe like a house fire , you may end up being on the receiving end of such judgment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies