Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 02:48 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
steve the only thing I can tell you that might put your mind at ease is that many people were scared sh*%less for the 8 years bush was in office and we lived through that we had a mess at the end that we are dealing with now we will live through obama and his admin the usa has far too many checks and balances for us ever to lose our foundation. never fear, do your best not to buy into hard core slanted media outlets that will help
never thought about that until now. I guess I get your feelings. Why cant we have a happy medium???? I mean what about someone in the middle??? I mean Bush too right, Obama too left, what happen to moderation?????I just want someone with common sense, where is the common sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 02:51 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I guess the bottom line is I dont trust anyone of them anymore. I AM MAD!!! I dont want to have to bust my a@@ when IM 70! I planned this, waited, saved and I see it all eroding. I see if this keeps going on they want to take it all! I see that we have some good points on both sides but someone said its for their coporate and government green causes and everyone else is not included gets screwed. I believe this. I think if this bill passes its not good unless we already are with AL GORE. I dont believe its going to help the green gas crap. Then I guess we should not all exhaul. This is a big cause of green gas. SO kill us off with a plastic bag. Too bad they need us to pay for it. I mean I can be open but maybe we are being scammed. I dont believe anyone. Good points , great discussion, cant believe this started so many posts and so much mind thinking. I expect you people to call me a jerk. I got a few of those but I can take it. I will try to give this guy a chance but its not easy. I dont want the country to fail. I dont want people to be hurt or lose more. I guess I want to learn how to solve some of this crap but feel so helpless.
were you this scared when bush was in office or are you buying into scare tactics? everyone has a right to how they feel and I would only consider someone a jerk when they refused to see or keep an open mind. again we have checks and balances

Old 06-28-2009, 02:55 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,276 times
Quote:
Why cant we have a happy medium????
Maybe we will. For the past decade, the country's been taken far, far to the right of mainstream.
We had a conservative, fundamentalist christian president whose policy-making was at least partially guided by a weekly phone conference he held, thoughout his two terms in office, with televangelists and other celebrity fundamentalist megachurch leaders.
There's nothing "medium" about that. Nothing "happy" about it either, if you ask me.

Obama is bringing the country back toward the center.
It will take awhile for us all to find our equilibrium again.

You can't take a country as far to the right of mainstream as we did, and then say, "Well, how about a happy medium now?"

In order to find the center, we must go left again. It's a pendulum effect.
We may even go slightly left of mainstream, before it's all said and done, but we certainly aren't there yet, in my opinion.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:56 PM

17,369 posts, read 16,511,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
LOL!

Move to AZ. It's a seriously right-wing state. Even moderate Republicans can't get elected there. You have to be a true ideologue. You will love it there.
Thanks so much for the suggestion, but...

2010 is right around the corner. My guess is there will be a lot more conservative states to choose from then .

Old 06-28-2009, 02:57 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
were you this scared when bush was in office or are you buying into scare tactics? everyone has a right to how they feel and I would only consider someone a jerk when they refused to see or keep an open mind. again we have checks and balances
no I was not scared. Like I said I understand now how you feel because I am in that situation. I just want someone with common sense and in the middle not an extreme. Its like its 0 or 100 degrees. What about a middle approach. Do alittle, save alittle, be in the middle make both sides happy. I guess I am a dreamer!

Old 06-28-2009, 03:03 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:

I dont want people to be hurt or lose more. I guess I want to learn how to solve some of this crap but feel so helpless.
You're not helpless. There is so much you can do. Become involved in your community!
  • Contact your pastor or any local church and find out what programs they have that you can volunteer for.
  • Go through your basement and garage and find things you don't need or use and donate them to charity.
  • Attend your local city council meetings!
  • Get to know your local city council member and ask him or her what you can do to participate in your neighborhood's renewal/revitalization/etc.
The more our neighbors can rely on us to help them through tough times, the less they'll have to rely on government. I hear Republicans pay lip service to this being how things would work if government got out of our pocketbooks, but I don't see a lot of those advocates actually stepping up now, to actually relieve government from the necessity to step in. I think they've got it backwards. Don't remove government and hope and pray that common citizens will pick up the slack. Pick up the slack, and then some, and show your local, state and national leaders that your tax dollars can be reduced or used for more infrastructure and other projects.

I know it seems bristling to recommend this, but go to Organizing for America at my.barackobama.com and register. Then join some of the local groups in your area and check on the events that are happening around you. Join forces! These people are doing all kinds of things to organize in their communities. If we want less government, we have the power to need less government right at our fingertips!

Old 06-28-2009, 03:04 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
you should be worried about a congress that signs bills that they have not read. you should be worried about a congress that bails out banks and automakers. you should be worried about a congress that changes contract law as they go. you should be worried about a president who promises change but tries to keep the status quo of big government. there is no way to understate how important it should be that our representatives actually understand what they are voting on. cap and trade is a wall street scam and the politicians who are endorsing it do not have america's best interests at heart.

that was the bad news.

the good news is that there will be another election and people can throw these bums out!

Old 06-28-2009, 03:07 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,064 times
Quote:
never thought about that until now. I guess I get your feelings. Why cant we have a happy medium???? I mean what about someone in the middle??? I mean Bush too right, Obama too left, what happen to moderation?????
I suppose one way to think about it is by imagining that politics in the US works like a giant pendulem. It swings to the right, then to the left, then back again. As such, it actually spends most of it's time in the middle and neither extreme really gets too far ahead under normal circumstances.

I would argue that during the six years that Bush was in the White House while the GOP controlled the Congress, things got pretty far to the right. And most Americans aren't completely conservative, so there was a pushback in 2006 and the Dems took the Congress. 2008 was just a continuation of the pattern and Obama won. But obviously, most Americans fall somewhere in the middle politically, so as the Dems roll out more and more left-leaning policy, eventually they will lose some seats to GOP candidates and things will start moving right again.

Personally, I'd like to see things go left for awhile in order to restore some balance though.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:10 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

you should be worried about a congress that signs bills that they have not read. you should be worried about a congress that bails out banks and automakers. you should be worried about a congress that changes contract law as they go. you should be worried about a president who promises change but tries to keep the status quo of big government. there is no way to understate how important it should be that our representatives actually understand what they are voting on. cap and trade is a wall street scam and the politicians who are endorsing it do not have america's best interests at heart.
Where were you when President Bush asked Congress to authorize going to war against a country that hadn't attacked us, and very few of our representatives (on both sides) bothered to read the bill or the intelligence report that supposedly fueled it, but in reality, didn't say at all what President Bush claimed it did?

Do you really think this stuff hasn't gone on under every administration -- that this is somehow new to President Obama or applicable to Democrats alone?

Does that mean I condone the practice of our legislators not reading bills before they're voted on? Hell no! But don't delude yourself that this is a partisan issue and that if only Republicans were in charge, everyone would read every page of every bill that ever crossed their desks. Republicans had 8 years to prove that that's not true, even under their leadership.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:12 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,739,120 times
Quote:
What hell is going on in our Goverment. Im scared. Im scared we are all going to be on the bread line. Im scared that there is going to be a depression. Im scared that we have Hitler and no one will see it but me. All the money, inflation, cap and trade, and health care, this is how Hitler started and lied. Im SCARED. Now what can we do to protect our money and future. All our life savings and hardwork. AM I the only one???????
No wonder you're scared. You've invented a nightmare for yourself based on nothing. My advice: Scratch yourself and wake up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies