Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2009, 03:15 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,907,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I suppose one way to think about it is by imagining that politics in the US works like a giant pendulem. It swings to the right, then to the left, then back again. As such, it actually spends most of it's time in the middle and neither extreme really gets too far ahead under normal circumstances.

I would argue that during the six years that Bush was in the White House while the GOP controlled the Congress, things got pretty far to the right. And most Americans aren't completely conservative, so there was a pushback in 2006 and the Dems took the Congress. 2008 was just a continuation of the pattern and Obama won. But obviously, most Americans fall somewhere in the middle politically, so as the Dems roll out more and more left-leaning policy, eventually they will lose some seats to GOP candidates and things will start moving right again.

Personally, I'd like to see things go left for awhile in order to restore some balance though.

you people are kidding yourselves if you think you can defend either administration. the bush administration and the obama administration are full of graft, corruption, and wall street deals. it really is that simple. what we need is an outsider who is not already in lock step with the lobbyists. who didn't realize that when timothy geithner was appointed as treasury secretary? it was just the changing of the guard.

http://news.muckety.com/2008/06/01/n...f-mentors/3112 chart on geithner and connections
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Where were you when President Bush asked Congress to authorize going to war against a country that hadn't attacked us, and very few of our representatives (on both sides) bothered to read the bill or the intelligence report that supposedly fueled it, but in reality, didn't say at all what President Bush claimed it did?

Do you really think this stuff hasn't gone on under every administration -- that this is somehow new to President Obama or applicable to Democrats alone?

Does that mean I condone the practice of our legislators not reading bills before they're voted on? Hell no! But don't delude yourself that this is a partisan issue and that if only Republicans were in charge, everyone would read every page of every bill that ever crossed their desks. Republicans had 8 years to prove that that's not true, even under their leadership.
do you think that is a defense to present behavior?

Old 06-28-2009, 03:18 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Wouldn't it be easier for the radical left to just move to Eastern Europe. If that's your idea of Utopia - go for it!
Psst - the Wall fell in 1989.

If anything, Eastern Europe (and to a higher degree, Russia) is right now suffering under the excesses of unbridled robber-baron style capitalism.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:22 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,926,642 times
Quote:
I am sure if McCain had been elected, we would be living in prosperity today
One of his ideas was to FREEZE spending, not go hog wild and spend what we don't have. He would not have doubled the debt and tripled the deficit like obama - and he's not done yet.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:24 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

do you think that is a defense to present behavior?
The answer to this ridiculous question is right there in my post that you quoted, but apparently didn't read.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:36 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,480,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Psst - the Wall fell in 1989.

If anything, Eastern Europe (and to a higher degree, Russia) is right now suffering under the excesses of unbridled robber-baron style capitalism.
Hmmm, and what form of government led to the downfall of the USSR?

Old 06-28-2009, 03:38 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,012,853 times
Quote:
Where were you when President Bush asked Congress to authorize going to war against a country that hadn't attacked us, and very few of our representatives (on both sides) bothered to read the bill or the intelligence report that supposedly fueled it, but in reality, didn't say at all what President Bush claimed it did?

Do you really think this stuff hasn't gone on under every administration -- that this is somehow new to President Obama or applicable to Democrats alone?

Does that mean I condone the practice of our legislators not reading bills before they're voted on? Hell no! But don't delude yourself that this is a partisan issue and that if only Republicans were in charge, everyone would read every page of every bill that ever crossed their desks. Republicans had 8 years to prove that that's not true, even under their leadership.

Now there is an honest and truthful response...thanks, Jill! Well put.
Im scared that we have Hitler and no one will see it but me. All the money, inflation, cap and trade, and health care, this is how Hitler started and lied. Im SCARED. Quote from stevemorse
Might I suggest that you study history as well as economics? I've been
getting a crash course in that area myself...economics depends on so many various factors that it can be confusing. To insinuate that Obama has single-handedly ruined our economy in 5 months is ridiculous.
However, to implicate that President Obama is akin to Hitler shows exposure to far too many intentionally untrue and agenda-driven materials.
Hitler rose to power by placing the blame for Germany's poverty after WW I
on one group of people: the Jews. That is more like the RW trying to blame
all of our current difficulties on Obama alone. President Obama has been
consistent in saying that there is plenty of blame to go around, and while
making efforts to correct the economic and foreign policy failures he has
refrained from blaming Bush and Cheney at every opportunity. That should tell you volumes about those who attempt to frighten you about any movement to the left in the US. Under RW admins, the US overthrew democratically-elected administrations in other countries, and assassinated
leaders who had also been legally elected, because they were too LW for
those in charge. It has given us an unsavory reputation in some parts of the world...deservedly so. Start with Guatemala, Salvador Allende and our
overthrow of the government in Iran in 1953.

Electronic Briefing Book: The Secret CIA History of the Iran Coup

Guatemala 1953-1954 Kh

Behind the Other 9/11.(September 11, 1973 murder of Salvador Allende) | Newsweek International | Find Articles at BNET

Old 06-28-2009, 03:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
The answer to this ridiculous question is right there in my post that you quoted, but apparently didn't read.
Your post was full of partisan finger pointing.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
i read it but still don't understand how you think that bringing up past bad behavior somehow ameliorates bad present behavior.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:57 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post

i read it but still don't understand how you think that bringing up past bad behavior somehow ameliorates bad present behavior.
Are you being deliberately obtuse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61

Does that mean I condone the practice of our legislators not reading bills before they're voted on? Hell no!
I don't know how much clearer I can make it. And you know good and well why I brought it up. I did so to prove the point that you don't really care about our legislators not reading bills in their entirety before they're signed, because if you did, you'd've been decrying that behavior during every administration you've lived through. You have a myopic hatred of President Obama that clouds you from seeing the plank in your own eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies